Passport and Grand Turk ?

Almost Packed

My daughter swears that they were required to have their passport when they debarked in Grand Turk for their honeymoon cruise last year aboard the Carnival Conquest last November.

She said they made announcements and actually "swiped/scanned" her passport after debarking there in GT.

Has anyone experienced this? It was a closed loop cruise, beginning and ending in Miami.

I have never had my passport swiped except at the airport for itn'l flights.

She said that it was on the tv in her cabin and they made several announcements reminding people.

Was this a special situation or do you think passports are required for debarkation in Grand Turk?

Either way, we are good, we have them. I'm just curious.

Thanks in advance.

It depends on the cruise itinerary. I don't know the specifics, but I know I've been on cruises that we needed to do this in St. Thomas and once in Key West I believe, but that was only twice in 18 cruises. I was told it had to do with the previous port and immigration laws, so could have been something to do with that.

We were just there on a cruise and did not have to show passport.

We are Canadian, but when we walked into the cruise entrance in GT, there were local guards? police? not sure which and we had to flash our passports as we were told we would. To the best of my knowledge everyone had to show some sort of picture ID. Same leaving, we had to go through the shop and then past the guards.

Key West everyone had to meet in a room depending on your nationality and customs officers came on the ship and we had our S&S card punched after showing our passport.

• 2 weeks later...