Must Eat Foods

abr5000

They remind me of eating mushrooms (same consistancy) in butter and garlic. On the last few cruises Hubby shared one from his with someone at the table that wanted to try it and then they ordered it themselves. :)

Thanks for the comparison (I LOVE mushrooms in butter and garlic), so I'm going try the escargot. I have always wanted to try it, but I'm associating escargot to those nasty, slimy critters that come out on my front porch every night and just couldn't get that image out of my mind. I will substitute a different image and try the escargot.

Sorry to be off topic! And thanks for the responses. :D

:eek: Thanks for the comparisons! ...turning green, head is spinning, stomach is churning....I'll be fine in just a few minutes...where are those Tums? I just need to get the mental image outta my head..lol

I love mushrooms, and cheese, especially blue cheese! I can do this (escargot). But what are Morels?:D

Thanks for the comparison (I LOVE mushrooms in butter and garlic), so I'm going try the escargot. I have always wanted to try it, but I'm associating escargot to those nasty, slimy critters that come out on my front porch every night and just couldn't get that image out of my mind. I will substitute a different image and try the escargot.

The one time we took all four of our kids cruising with us, one of our rules was that they must try one new food a day. They were not required to clean their plate of it, they could choose the food that they tried, and of course, if they didn't like it, they could order something else. I think that sometimes we adults need to step out of our comfort zones as well! As the old commercial said, "Try it - you'll like it!" :D And, if you don't, order something else.

Lindsey, what ship had an Indian Buffet? I will be Carnival Conquest in September and I love Indian food. Usually order the the first night in the dining room.

The Splendor has a Tandoori - which is Indian food. It's across from the deli by the aft pool. Not sure about other ships, but I know there are some others that have it.

The one time we took all four of our kids cruising with us, one of our rules was that they must try one new food a day. They were not required to clean their plate of it, they could choose the food that they tried, and of course, if they didn't like it, they could order something else. I think that sometimes we adults need to step out of our comfort zones as well! As the old commercial said, "Try it - you'll like it!" :D And, if you don't, order something else.

I agree about the comfort zone thing...it is good to try new things. I WANT to try escargot, because most people rave about them. Heck, I'm from the South and if I can eat slimy, steamed oysters right off the steamer, I can eat escargot! I just wanted to get an idea of the taste before I make the plunge.

My dad had the same kind of policy when I was growing up. My mom cooked dinner every night for 7 people. If I said "eww, that looks awful", guess who was getting a healthy portion?! The policy was to try everything that was cooked for dinner and whatever I put on my plate must be eaten (no throwing away food..ever!) We learned quickly to appreciate someone cooking for us and to never say "ewww" to anything. He was career military and taught us to be gracious when people are doing nice things for us.

My husband is going to flip out when I order the escargot!:p

There are a lot of people listing escargot as a must have dish/food, and I would like to try it but in my head I feel like I'm eating slugs...

Did anyone ever have such a mental block about a certain kind of food? What helped you to go ahead and try it even though you were kind of grossed out?

Can someone tell me what other food might be comparable (taste wise) to escargot? That might help me to get over this silly mental block about escargot.

Thanks for any and all replies!

You can work your way up with the escargot. When served, there will be a slice of toasted bread on the plate. Break it in half, pick up a escargot with the fork, dip the bread in the warm garlic butter, place the escargot on the bread, take a bite. Very rich, lots of flavor, lots of texture, not just a lone escargot. I love them, but like you said every now and then my head messes with me. My taste buds always over rule it.

I find it interesting that while I have often seen people comment how Carnival's room service menu is not adequate. ( I am fine with it ); many of the things listed here are items from that very same menu.

Magic out of Galveston has a great Tandoori - my favorite lunch spot on the ship. Everyday most of the offerings vary - from a different region of India. Their grilled bread is the best! Be sure and wait for it to come out fresh, and try some of their sauces to dip in. Ymmmm...... They also have great salads and butter chicken.

I enjoyed the Tandoori grille on the Freedom four years ago, and had lunch there most days. I was really disappointed to hear that they removed it when they 2.0'd it. I have an aversion to ground beef, so guy burger does not make up for the loss for me. Blue Iguana maybe.

I hope they don't remove it from the Splendor before my cruise next year.

Best Caesar Salad ever - actually got the recipe from the chef on the Miracle & use it all the time.

Bacon Mac & Cheese

Pastrami & corned beef sand. from the Deli (boarding ritual every cruise):)

Lamb chops

DH gets double lobster & I get Prime Rib & we split & have surf & turf on the first elegant night every time.:D

DH loves WCMC & I love the creme brûlée.

4 cheese pizza

Many others, but these are the standouts.

Ya'll love it then! :) As someone else mentioned try it on one of the pieces of garlic toast they bring on the plate. Just dip the bread in the garlic butter and put the escargot on it and try it. Or even cut it in a tiny piece and try it with the bread. You will eat the whole plate. :)

It's been YEARS since my last cruise, but the escargot was always a favorite.

Don't be scared to try it, with the way it is served, it is very easy to mentally think they are mushrooms, and that little piece of toast is the perfect addition because the garlic butter is so good. On Disney they serve them in the shell. While still delicious, very difficult to trick your mind into thinking they are something else until you try them!

Also excited to get the melting cake again. We might even try room service for the first time this cruise. Sometimes the appeal of not getting out of bed might win out over going to any of the restaurants, lol.

:eek: Thanks for the comparisons! ...turning green, head is spinning, stomach is churning....I'll be fine in just a few minutes...where are those Tums? I just need to get the mental image outta my head..lol

I love mushrooms, and cheese, especially blue cheese! I can do this (escargot). But what are Morels?:D

The filet mignon of mushrooms! Only eat fresh. Sliced thin, dip in a bit of egg wash and flour and sautee quickly in butter/olive oil. Like lobster, filet mignon, escargot.... everything that's rich. :p

1) Crab cakes (I order 3 of them as an entree)

2) Chocolate Melting Cake with Butter Pecan Ice Cream

3) Pastrami and fresh mozzarella sandwich at the deli

4) Bitter and Blanc...when we were on a six night cruise and that was the "skipped" night of menus...I told the waiter how much I loved that dessert...and magically the bitter and blanc appeared, rum sauce and all! He got an incredible tip!

5) A "Guys Burger" and fries