A ? for you who have stayed in Hampton or LaQuinta Inns

Plant

I know that it's hard to compare, but the Hampton Inn and the La Quinta Inn are the hotel's that we're comfortable with. I think they'd be rated as 3 or 4 star in the US. They're not fancy, but they are clean! What would be the Aussie equivalent? Thanks SO much!

I know that it's hard to compare, but the Hampton Inn and the La Quinta Inn are the hotel's that we're comfortable with. I think they'd be rated as 3 or 4 star in the US. They're not fancy, but they are clean! What would be the Aussie equivalent? Thanks SO much!

Never heard of either of those sorry. I'll google and see what looks similar here.

La Quinta seems, on what little I can find to be similar to ibis (or maybe Teavelodge) but I can't find a lot on la Quinta, I'm basing that largely on one description of it as being a limited service hotel.

Thanks! We have stayed at the Ibis so maybe that would be a good place to stay again.

Ibis are basic, but cheep, we stay there a fair bit, however they have recently renamed their even lower grade to Ibis Budget, while we have stayed there the lack of a fridge and really small rooms makes it much lower on our list.

What do y'all know about Hotel Harry? I've seen really bad review's and really good review's. Do you need to be a "partier" to stay there, or are there some quiet rooms?? Thanks!

What do y'all know about Hotel Harry? I've seen really bad review's and really good review's. Do you need to be a "partier" to stay there, or are there some quiet rooms?? Thanks!

No idea sorry, but it's a pub (bar) so likely to be a tad noisy at least Friday and Saturday nights.

No idea sorry, but it's a pub (bar) so likely to be a tad noisy at least Friday and Saturday nights.

Thanks, I'm thinking we'd be happier in a "regular" hotel. I'll keep looking.

Thanks, I'm thinking we'd be happier in a "regular" hotel. I'll keep looking.

It can be a bit hard to tell as in Australia what you call a bar (where you buy a beer) and what you call a hotel (that provides accomodation) are both called hotels.

What are you actually looking for, Plant?

If you give us a price range and some idea of what part of Sydney you'd like to stay in, then we could give you some recommendations.

Do you want to be in the downtown area, close to all the sights or would you be happy further away from the city but handy to a train station? Hotels close to Circular Quay tend to be more expensive, at the other end of the downtown area, say near Central Station, they are often a bit cheaper.

I do agree with OzKiwi (for once, must be because it's not about Pavlova), give us a list of specifics

Budget

Even star ratings if you like

Area

Time of stay

Length of stay

Where your ship docks

And we can then throw you a few suggestions.

I have three go to hotels really

Any if the Travelodges and there are three or four, the Grace in York Street probably because we stay there about once a month and it's always good.

The holiday inn at the Rocks before we cruise.

Then I'd add the Meriton appartments, again a few to choose from, if you want a longer stay the laundry and kitchen can make a big difference.

Or if it's something real special or you've got points the Pier One is pretty nice at a good price.

Then if I'm keeping costs down because a client without a lot of money is picking up the bill Ibis is not too bad (Just not Ibis budget).

If you look at those options you may find something.

Another option is to go to wotif.com and search on an area if there is a particular part of the city that interests you and that will show you a pretty good range of options.

It can be a bit hard to tell as in Australia what you call a bar (where you buy a beer) and what you call a hotel (that provides accomodation) are both called hotels.
I finally figured that out! Here a hotel sometimes has a bar, but a bar does NOT have a hotel!

What are you actually looking for, Plant?

If you give us a price range and some idea of what part of Sydney you'd like to stay in, then we could give you some recommendations.

Do you want to be in the downtown area, close to all the sights or would you be happy further away from the city but handy to a train station? Hotels close to Circular Quay tend to be more expensive, at the other end of the downtown area, say near Central Station, they are often a bit cheaper.

Last time we stayed at Ibis, Darling Harbor. It was fine, but we thought we'd try a new area next time. I'm pretty much looking in the Rocks area. So far my interest's are the Holiday Inn, Rocks, and the Rendezvous in the Rocks.

Since we live in a city that doesn't have a subway (train), we're a little bit uncertain about how to "do" the train. I know that those of you who've grown up with the train think that's ridiculous, but that's the way it is :)!

We'll be in Sydney for at least four night's and would like to spend less than $200.00 US per night. That's not set in stone, though. For a clean nice hotel we would pay more. (P.S. Yes, I know I'm asking the impossible!)

I finally figured that out! Here a hotel sometimes has a bar, but a bar does NOT have a hotel!

Last time we stayed at Ibis, Darling Harbor. It was fine, but we thought we'd try a new area next time. I'm pretty much looking in the Rocks area. So far my interest's are the Holiday Inn, Rocks, and the Rendezvous in the Rocks.

Since we live in a city that doesn't have a subway (train), we're a little bit uncertain about how to "do" the train. I know that those of you who've grown up with the train think that's ridiculous, but that's the way it is :)!

We'll be in Sydney for at least four night's and would like to spend less than $200.00 US per night. That's not set in stone, though. For a clean nice hotel we would pay more. (P.S. Yes, I know I'm asking the impossible!)

Ok

Holiday inn may be Just within your $200 a night range we stay there a lot when were sailing out of the OPT. Lovely position directly opposite the terminal, busses more or less out the front, walk to the ferry or Circular Quay trains.

One poster was recently saying that for over three nights he can get into Meriton Serviced appartments for about Aus$200 a night. That would be worth a look as you also have more space, a kitchenette and laundry facilities, I know there's one in Pitt street, and we've always been happy with them in the past.

Train is pretty simple, you will need an Opal card (google it) as they no longer take cash fares. The same card is used in buses and ferries so you will probably need one anyway. Basically you hold it against a scanner when you get on and off any form of public transport.

We stayed at the Rendezvous the Rocks last month for 3 nights. I don't know how much we paid for the room because it was part of a package. The room was at least equal to a Hampton Inn room and maybe better. Breakfast was decent (better than a Hampton Inn) but was an extra charge for us. It's cheaper if you reserve the breakfast a day ahead.

Location is excellent. We easily walked to the bridge and to the Opera House. We asked for a quiet room not facing the street and when we got to the room we could see the Opera House, at least when the cruise ships were not in port. Lots of good restaurants around. Highly recommended.

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I do remember researching the Opal Card for transportation. I guess I'll compare the Holiday Inn and the Rendezvous. I'll also check out the Meriton on Pitt. Street. I haven't looked today, but last week the bookings weren't available yet for April for any hotel. I like to plan early :)!

Y'all have been so helpful! Thanks!

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I do remember researching the Opal Card for transportation. I guess I'll compare the Holiday Inn and the Rendezvous. I'll also check out the Meriton on Pitt. Street. I haven't looked today, but last week the bookings weren't available yet for April for any hotel. I like to plan early :)!

Y'all have been so helpful! Thanks!

I doubt you'll go far wrong with any of that three.

An earlier poster suggested that the original hotels mentioned in this thread might be consider 3-4 stars by US standards. Three star would be overly generous. These are all barebones operations. The one standout for consistency across the brand and value (e.g., actually decent continental breakfast included) would be Hampton Inn (a Hilton brand).

We've stayed (on points) at the Hilton on George Street and the Meriton Service Apts on Pitt St. We were pleased with both options during different visits.

You have to try Harry's Cafe de Wheels for their meat pies~~close to the Meriton Apts.:)

We've stayed (on points) at the Hilton on George Street and the Meriton Service Apts on Pitt St. We were pleased with both options during different visits.

You have to try Harry's Cafe de Wheels for their meat pies~~close to the Meriton Apts.:)

Meriton is very good.

And Harry's pies even better.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another idea! We're member's of the Carlson Hotels. The Raddison, Darling Harbour is a possibility. What do you know about this hotel? Would it be better than the Ibis (where we stayed last visit)?

Thanks!

Here's another idea! We're member's of the Carlson Hotels. The Raddison, Darling Harbour is a possibility. What do you know about this hotel? Would it be better than the Ibis (where we stayed last visit)?

Thanks!

A lot better. Especially if the same price.

Edited by GUT2407