Doing laundry on Viking Odin

Kruzkrazy

Hello group,

DW and I are booked on the Viking Odin for next April, Paris to Prague, with 4 nights in Paris and 4 nights in Prague. We're looking forward to it with great anticipation. It will be our first river cruise after dozens of ocean cruises.

Here's a question of practicality for all you experienced river cruisers: This will amount to a 16-day vacation, so what do we do about our soiled laundry? I understand there is a laundry service on the Odin, but apparently no self-service machines. Do you let the boat do your laundry, though that can run into a lot of money, I think? Do you do it ashore, though that would mean missing out of some tours, perhaps? Do you do it yourself in your cabin?

After many cruises on Princess, we are "elite," which means the ship does our laundry for us free of charge. So we're badly spoiled.

We'd appreciate some guidance.

Thanx,

Ron

You could hand-launder the smaller things like socks and undies and send out a couple shirts/blouses and slack/jeans apiece to be done. The ship will have a pull- out laundry line in the shower for those items washed in the sink. We had a 16 day trip last summer; with a 10- day cruise and 2 days precruise and 4 postcruise. I did hand laundry a couple of times and it was quick and easy, and enabled me to pack less as well.

Becki

• 2 weeks later...

Have been washing out socks and undies. Bought Exofficio brand undies for dh and me and we love them. Dh now has exofficio t-shirts too, all great. I can't imagine dragging laundry off the ship into town. I washed 2 light tops of mine and a dress shirt for dh, dried overnight on inflatable hangers- they have the advantage of width to keep the shirt front and back separated so the shirt dries more easily. The hair dryer is good for finishing any dampness out of an item. I do one big item per night.

Also check out Travel Smith or other companies for light weight travel clothes. We each have a travel shirt, part rayon which dries super fast. Great pockets with zippers for security. m--

My husband and I are both king and queen of the washbowl laundry. We take only clothes that are made from quick-drying tech fabric. Just returned from the Viking Aegri on a 23-day cruise. BUT The sinks are VERY small and the water will start draining out the hole when it is only half full. We solved this by inserting a small plastic bottle into the hole of the sink and we were on our way!