Earliest time for Viking River Cruise embarkation

kpgclark

Based on past experience, you can show up at 10:00, but don't expect your stateroom to be ready. They will probably have snacks in the lounge, or you can drop off your luggage and go sightseeing. They will probably have a light lunch around noon.

I don' t think you will have any issues.

When we were disembarking in Budapest last year, we stayed aboard until well after lunch so that we could go directly to our hotel and check in. Viking told us we were welcome to stay aboard as long as we wanted (including dinner which we didn't take them up on) as long as we were out of our staterooms by 9 am, 9:30 am?. Anyway, while we were lounging in the lounge waiting for lunch to be set up, a number of folks trickled in - some as before 10 am as I recall...certainly before 11. Of course your mileage may vary but I bet not.

Those that fly in the day of the cruise are brought directly to the ship. I know we have boarded before 10 in the morning. We have been lucky each time with our room being ready but others have had to wait until 3:00 PM. There is always a lite lunch on the Aquavit Terrace and in the afternoon an introductive walking tour of the city where the ship is docked. We always try to take the walking tour because on some cruises, the cruise does nothing in the city where we are docked the first day.

You usually do not find out about them until you are on the ship. We did one in Amsterdam. The walk usually just helps you get the layout of the city. Walked thru the Red light district and the main square and got a good historical background. We have always had a walking tour the first day in Europe on Viking. We just consider it a bonus for arriving by early afternoon.

For some reason Viking has nothing scheduled for the embarkation day. The walking tour of Amsterdam is scheduled for the following day.

I would think that is because you ARE staying in Amsterdam. Some people have complained that they won't see the embarkation city because the ship departs that evening. In that case, having an informal walking tour would be a nice idea.

They call it a welcome walk and it is usually led by the cruise director vs a local guide. But I always love them. After flying all night it is so nice to get on the ship, enjoy a cappuccino in the lounge, have a nice lunch and then take a lovely welcome walk to get some fresh air and exercise before getting settled in your stateroom. Makes me want to book a cruise right now :)