First Cruise and Very Excited, but...

Robinsoncrusoed

Hi; my better half and I embark on our first P&O cruise next week - a delightful 'taster' cruise on board Ventura to St Peter Port and then Zeebrugge. It's a surprise holiday to celebrate her 50th birthday! However, I did book late, and was allocated our balcony cabin on the Lido deck, L202 to be precise, right at the front. What concerns me is that I have since discovered that the balcony is a steel one. would this be very high? It would be a real shame if our view was totally obscured. Are there any other concerns that we should have for such a cabin position, as I appreciate there are many seasoned cruise ship travellers here - any advice or tips would be most welcome.

Finally, as we are only on Ventura for 4 nights, what are the 'must-do' things both on board and in the ports please? I really want to make this cruise extra special for her and any special insight would be truly appreciated.

Thank you

When standing, you will have the same view as other balconies. When sitting, you can see the sky, but not much else unless you are REALY tall. You might ask other questions on the board here for P&O - UK. I assume you are on Venture on 11 August? Guernsey is a tender port (you get onto a small boat and it will take you to the island) and is easy to walk around and explore. In Zebrugge, I would take a tour or transfer to Bruges, if you haven't already been. It is also very walkable - after you get there. EM

This is a tender, one of the ships largest lifeboats. This one brought us to Guernsey from Queen Elizabeth:

enhance

enhance

This is Bruges. I have this picture as my desktop:

enhance

Edited by Essiesmom

Most ocean gazing is done standing at the rail. Even on balconies with a plexiglass front, the view isn't great while sitting, because of salt spray and smudges! You tend to stand at the rail, and will have a wonderful view!

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply, it really is appreciated! Particularly the wonderful pictures Essiesmom! Seeing the tender really makes me far less fearful, I was expecting something much smaller!

Any more advice from anyone is very much welcome! :-)

From your cabin, walking back, you'll find the first 1/3 is cabins, and then you're by the main outdoor pool- there's a (free) burger bar in one corner, and (free) pizza in another, plus bars. This is where the sailaway parties are held, including the GB sailaway, which will be held as you're pulling out of your last port.

Next is the indoor pool- I doubt the roof will be open on your cruise unless the weather improves dramatically- but it's a pleasant place to sit if it's chilly; and then the very long buffet, where you can eat all day and night. The back of the buffet, starboard, becomes the Beach House restaurant at night, and is the place we always visit on the first night on board. There's an outside sitting area, and a small terrace pool.

That's your deck!

Straight down in the lift from your cabin, and you're at the theatre.

That's just your deck... plenty more to explore! :D

From your cabin, walking back, you'll find the first 1/3 is cabins, and then you're by the main outdoor pool- there's a (free) burger bar in one corner, and (free) pizza in another, plus bars. This is where the sailaway parties are held, including the GB sailaway, which will be held as you're pulling out of your last port.

Next is the indoor pool- I doubt the roof will be open on your cruise unless the weather improves dramatically- but it's a pleasant place to sit if it's chilly; and then the very long buffet, where you can eat all day and night. The back of the buffet, starboard, becomes the Beach House restaurant at night, and is the place we always visit on the first night on board. There's an outside sitting area, and a small terrace pool.

That's your deck!

Straight down in the lift from your cabin, and you're at the theatre.

That's just your deck... plenty more to explore! :D

Excellent! thats great to hear, I feel we are now armed with useful places to aim for. We have booked for both the Sindhu and Epicurean restaurants - are these as good as they appear on the P&O website?

Thanks again :D

Sindhu is very good- look out for the chocolate bomb!- and you can have curry as hot/mild as you want, with the curry taster..

Epicurean is classy... excellent service, if at times a little OTT with the- everything all right sir/madam etc; but it's part of their training. The food is wonderful.

Enjoy! :)

Sindhu is very good- look out for the chocolate bomb!- and you can have curry as hot/mild as you want, with the curry taster..

Epicurean is classy... excellent service, if at times a little OTT with the- everything all right sir/madam etc; but it's part of their training. The food is wonderful.

Enjoy! :)

Thank you Jo :D

I am so excited, I'm really struggling keeping this a secret! I'm bursting to tell her, but it will be amazing, I hope!!