Charge for Blue Kay???

waterbugohio

OK, we are trying to decide on where to go for the day while in Costa Maya.

Mitsugirl, have read all of your reviews and comments. But still confused.

The website says they charge for a Beach Pass. I know you said they didn't charge the day you were there, but has anyone else had to pay???

If we have to pay the $24 like the website says and also have to buy food and drinks, then I think we will just do the AI and go to Maya Chan.

The website says they charge for a Beach Pass. I know you said they didn't charge the day you were there, but has anyone else had to pay???

If we have to pay the $24 like the website says and also have to buy food and drinks, then I think we will just do the AI and go to Maya Chan.

We were there a few weeks ago. We took a taxi, once there we walked toward the beach area, grabbed a couple of lounge chairs and within a few minutes a waiter came over and asked if we wanted to order some food or drinks. We didn't order anything when we arrived, but later we had lunch and a few cocktails. It was very quiet, we basically had the beach to ourselves.

• 2 weeks later...

Was just there on Thursday. As soon as we sat down in beach chairs, someone (she seemed like she was in charge) ran over to get us wristbands. We had to pay $5 but included the use of the loungers (not so comfy since they are wooden but do the job), restrooms, and 1 drink (alcoholic or non). As soon as people arrived, they were quickly asked to pay $5 and give a wristband.

I agree the website is misleading.

It does say the day pass includes drinks, although one place says "without" alcohol and another says "with and without"! So it would appear only food would be extra.

However when Mitsugirly went there other things were also listed as included, bikes and maybe snorkle equipment. She didn't need these and so chose to just PAYG. However they no longer seem to be listed so I guess you would need to email to be sure of what is currently included.

The above poster states they were charged $5 and got a wrist band which included a drink. This is the first time I have seen that stated and this seems to be the latest trial - not a bad price for using facilities. This place is under relatively new owners and I can understand as they become more well known they would not want people using their loungers (albeit uncomfortable!) and bathrooms without some sort of purchase.

Prices listed for each activity are in MXN so you can get a decent US$ price by dividing by 17/18 and the maybe adding 10% to handle any fluctuation in exchange rates.

And I've been in error on this board:o The "cabanas" I saw on the Spanish site, are actually in reference to their "cabins". So I guess you need to reserve in advance. Reasonably priced though.

I too was there in February and we were one of the first ones on the beach.

Grabbed a couple of lounge chairs, spoke with a blonde woman doing yoga and asked about using the chairs and no mention of a fee.

We went snorkeling and after an hour or so we ordered drinks and then lunch later.

I wonder if the poster that said they were charged $5 was actually on the Blue Kay side of the beach .

When we took the open air taxi and were dropped off we were met by someone else asking us to go to their "beach club" and once we said we were looking for Blue Kay he pointed us in the right direction.

I too was there in February and we were one of the first ones on the beach.

Grabbed a couple of lounge chairs, spoke with a blonde woman doing yoga and asked about using the chairs and no mention of a fee.

We went snorkeling and after an hour or so we ordered drinks and then lunch later.

I wonder if the poster that said they were charged $5 was actually on the Blue Kay side of the beach .

When we took the open air taxi and were dropped off we were met by someone else asking us to go to their "beach club" and once we said we were looking for Blue Kay he pointed us in the right direction.

Open air taxis don't stop at Blue Kay. By contract ( as owner has a financial interest in the port complex) the first stop is Tequila Beach. Sometimes a Sr Frog's and/or a Corona Beach Club rep are also waiting there because you have to go down a little further to the start of the other beach clubs.

We were at Blue Cay this past Friday. We were charged $5 and given a wrist band and told we could order 1 drink. The loungers were indeed wooden but not bad. I saw a sign which indicated you could pay $25 for a day which included use of kayaks, snorkel equipment and canoes. No big beach toys. Since we were only there for a couple of hours we opted for the wrist band and got a couple of beers. They would have been $2 each if we paid separate. Mixed drinks were about $4. To reach Blue Cay we walked out of the port area towards the taxis and got the trolley. Cost $3 each. They dropped us at a beach club adjacent to Blue Cay though we could see the sign clearly. Senor Frogs no longer there. They do not bring you back.

After a couple of hours we walked a short distance ( 5 minutes ) to the Majahaul fishing village and got a cab back to the port for $2.There were many cabs there. Hope this helps.

They dropped us at a beach club adjacent to Blue Cay though we could see the sign clearly. Senor Frogs no longer there.

Do you know what the name of the beach club was? Headed there soon and just want to make sure we get to the correct place if we take a cab. Thx.

Do you know what the name of the beach club was? Headed there soon and just want to make sure we get to the correct place if we take a cab. Thx.

The open air trolleys' first stop is Tequilla Beach (requirement by owner). If you get into a taxi outside the port, they'll take you to Blue Kay (separate entrance road BEFORE Tequilla Beach. Or the trolleys and taxis will stop along the malecon at any beach club you ask them to after Tequila Beach.

The open air trolleys' first stop is Tequilla Beach (requirement by owner). If you get into a taxi outside the port, they'll take you to Blue Kay (separate entrance road BEFORE Tequilla Beach. Or the trolleys and taxis will stop along the malecon at any beach club you ask them to after Tequila Beach.

Not really too familiar with the order of beach clubs along malecon. I know you are in the process of producing a map, Crew, but I thought Mitsugirly said in her review that she took the trolley to Blue Kay and got off by Sn Frogs?

If Sn Frogs doesn't exist anymore what us it called now? Is this the location of the new Barefoot beach?

Edited by c-leg5

It's definitely $5 now (our wristbands were blue and said Blue Kay on them) for use of facilities, but as mentioned it does include a drink.

If you take the open air shuttle, you can just tell them you're going to Blue Kay and want to get off at the first stop. There is some construction going on in the front of the beach clubs where you are dropped off. There is definitely no more senor frogs.

To get back, we took a taxi that was waiting right in the Blue Kay parking lot next to the cabins

how much is taxi back per person?

It's definitely $5 now (our wristbands were blue and said Blue Kay on them) for use of facilities, but as mentioned it does include a drink.

If you take the open air shuttle, you can just tell them you're going to Blue Kay and want to get off at the first stop. There is some construction going on in the front of the beach clubs where you are dropped off. There is definitely no more senor frogs.

To get back, we took a taxi that was waiting right in the Blue Kay parking lot next to the cabins

For hubby and I, the taxi was $2 per person. When we were at Blue Kay in January, one of the hosts was kind enough to walk with us to find one waiting near the restaurant. We had a wonderful experience here: the view from the beach, the food, the drinks, the snorkeling (saw my first cowfish), and chatting with the locals.

Edited by 2BCruising

For hubby and I, the taxi was $2 per person. When we were at Blue Kay in January, one of the hosts was kind enough to walk with us to find one waiting near the restaurant. We had a wonderful experience here: the view from the beach, the food, the drinks, the snorkeling (saw my first cowfish), and chatting with the locals.

I definitely think this is the beach for us after we visit the ruins in the morning. Can you tell me how long the taxi ride took back to port? Thanks.

The $5 charge must be something new...but I can totally understand it. Honestly, it's probably a good thing since they don't charge an entrance fee and for $5 to use that place is...well, an awesome deal. Plus you get a drink with that so... My take on it: I went there when the new ownership took over and most people on here had never heard of the place (they weren't even advertising yet and it was next to impossible to even find anything on the web for them at the time). After doing my review, with all the pictures, people on here started going there. Well...I do remember several people coming back saying they spent the day there BUT walked down the Malecon and had a wonderful lunch at _______ (fill in the blank). Honestly, I think that's kinda crappy. That means that the people at Blue Kay are losing out on money because they allowed you to come use their facilities, beautiful beach, and chairs/umbrellas for free and in return, you go somewhere else to spend your money. After I read a few of these on here, I knew it wouldn't be long before they would charge an entrance fee.

Just my thoughts, this place is beautiful and well worth going...even for $5 LOL

If you buy a package, it includes extras: kayaks, snorkeling equipment, and bikes to ride up and down the malecon. So that's where the package comes in at. Plus they have the alcohol package too I believe.

There's a button at the top of the site that allows you to switch from Mexican to English, which last time I was on there gave you US $ instead of Pesos. I'm not sure if it still does.

When we were ready to go, we simply told our waiter and he went up and called a cab for us. No need to go looking for one. :)

I definitely think this is the beach for us after we visit the ruins in the morning. Can you tell me how long the taxi ride took back to port? Thanks.

The taxi ride back to port did not take long at all. I would say 10-15 minutes max. Enjoy your time in Costa Maya!

I've also posted pictures on my blog. See link on my signature line.

• 2 weeks later...
The $5 charge must be something new...but I can totally understand it. Honestly, it's probably a good thing since they don't charge an entrance fee and for $5 to use that place is...well, an awesome deal. Plus you get a drink with that so... My take on it: I went there when the new ownership took over and most people on here had never heard of the place (they weren't even advertising yet and it was next to impossible to even find anything on the web for them at the time). After doing my review, with all the pictures, people on here started going there. Well...I do remember several people coming back saying they spent the day there BUT walked down the Malecon and had a wonderful lunch at _______ (fill in the blank). Honestly, I think that's kinda crappy. That means that the people at Blue Kay are losing out on money because they allowed you to come use their facilities, beautiful beach, and chairs/umbrellas for free and in return, you go somewhere else to spend your money. After I read a few of these on here, I knew it wouldn't be long before they would charge an entrance fee.

Just my thoughts, this place is beautiful and well worth going...even for $5 LOL

If you buy a package, it includes extras: kayaks, snorkeling equipment, and bikes to ride up and down the malecon. So that's where the package comes in at. Plus they have the alcohol package too I believe.

There's a button at the top of the site that allows you to switch from Mexican to English, which last time I was on there gave you US $ instead of Pesos. I'm not sure if it still does.

When we were ready to go, we simply told our waiter and he went up and called a cab for us. No need to go looking for one. :)

Heading to Costa Maya in November but dont get into port until 12:30 PM. Will that be too late to head over? Are the beaches crowded? We have never gotten into a port that late before. Thank you for all your reviews they have been very helpful!

Heading to Costa Maya in November but dont get into port until 12:30 PM. Will that be too late to head over? Are the beaches crowded? We have never gotten into a port that late before. Thank you for all your reviews they have been very helpful!

Sorry, just got back from a cruise and got this message. :D

You didn't mention how long you will be in port, but either way, Blue Kay is only about a 7 minute ride from the port, so even if you only went for a few hours, I would still say it's worth it. I mean personally I would do it if it was me. :) Blue Kay definitely wasn't crowded when we were there and from others posting, they haven't reported a crowd either. I think since it's on the very end of the beach, most don't wander off into that area. Plus the beach itself is huge (unlike the other little sections along the malecon), so plenty of room to spread out. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone tell me about snorkeling at Blue Kay. We have our own equipment. Is it worth taking off the boat and snorkeling for the day?

Check the review link in mitsugirly's signature in the post above yours for pictures. You can snorkel there. It's not the best snorkeling compare to other ports or even in Costa Maya (offshore or up at Uvero Beach via a ship excursion--Uvero is owned by the port). But you might see more sealife at BK than othe rspots further south along the malecon.