Maya Chen, Blue Kay or Tropicante?

gambler

We are two middle aged ladies just wanting a nice beach to swim in (no snorkeling) nice lounge chairs to relax with shade, good local food and drinks. As an example, we always go to Paradise Beach in Cozumel.

I inquired on booking Maya Chen and this was part of the response I got back.

"We are just a very simple funky beach hang out. We don't have pristine water since we all keep our waters natural. Just like it should be. We clean our beach of seagrass everyday. The Costa Maya Coastline is a turtle preserve. If you need to have a Disney created beach, stay at the Port, or go into town. In town, they use dredges and tractors to make it look better. If you want the real Caribbean experience, then our place is for you."

Will this work for us or would we be better off at one of the other places? which one and why? Guess I am nervous about safety and following directions to get to the other two.

Thanks, any help is much appreciated.

Maya Chan is a good spot to go from what you describe as what you're looking to find.. It's all inclusive in price. A tad further away from the other beach clubs but nevertheless easy to get to. They limit the number of people there. You'll get everything you want.

Nothing like Paradise Beach in Mahahual. But if you want a little more activity and ability to walk around and see more than just what's at a single place, then Tropicante or YaYa Beach or Pez Quadro, all along the malecon in Mahahual would fit your bill. You can google all and get information. None charge a fee for loungers unless you want one of the packages, but all request, like PB, that you purchase food or drink. All 3 have good service and good food. All are very close to each other.

Assuming you can get to Maya Cahn by 8 or 8:30AM, you'll need to leave around 12:30-12:45 PM to get back to port as you'll have to be on board by 1:30PM. So is 4 hours enough for you? Other things you want to do, like port shopping?

If that seems too short of time, I suggest looking at making a reservation for X number of loungers at Tropicante, or going to Blue Kay and paying for a lounger there. It'll be a bit cheaper than Maya Chan's AI rate , assuming you don't buy a lot. And you won't have to leave until 1 or 1:15P. YaYa Beach and Pez Quadro are 2 alternative spots in the middle of the malecon. They offer AI rates but also take walk ins.

Edited to say: We were in Costa Maya in January under similar port times as you. We did our usual AI package at Nohoch Kay, DW's favorite spot--we've know the owner for years since his old Playa del Carmen days, and she knows most of the waitstaff, LOL, so it was worth it for us.

Edited by crewsweeper

Assuming you can get to Maya Cahn by 8 or 8:30AM, you'll need to leave around 12:30-12:45 PM to get back to port as you'll have to be on board by 1:30PM. So is 4 hours enough for you? Other things you want to do, like port shopping?

If that seems too short of time, I suggest looking at making a reservation for X number of loungers at Tropicante, or going to Blue Kay and paying for a lounger there. It'll be a bit cheaper than Maya Chan's AI rate , assuming you don't buy a lot. And you won't have to leave until 1 or 1:15P. YaYa Beach and Pez Quadro are 2 alternative spots in the middle of the malecon. They offer AI rates but also take walk ins.

Edited to say: We were in Costa Maya in January under similar port times as you. We did our usual AI package at Nohoch Kay, DW's favorite spot--we've know the owner for years since his old Playa del Carmen days, and she knows most of the waitstaff, LOL, so it was worth it for us.

Thank you! I really like Nohoch Kay! Can you book it directly? I just Googled it and it looks like Island Marketing offers it for $50 per person. I've had good luck with Island Marketing before.

Our vote would be for Tropicante..we have been going there for over 5 years. Great food, cheap beer prices and no charge for loungers. Steve, the owner is an American who is very outgoing and will spend most of his time going around talking to the guests. He also lets you use wi-fi an phone to call home for free. We take our chairs and put them in the water and look back on the beach..Good food is cooked right on site...

Thanks for the comments, as I had the same question. My DH and I will visit ruins in the morning then would like to go to a beach for a few hours since our ship doesn't leave until 5:00 pm. We were thinking about Blue Kay beach or Tropicante. Can anyone tell me if these beaches are fairly close to the port when we get ready to return?

Thanks for the comments, as I had the same question. My DH and I will visit ruins in the morning then would like to go to a beach for a few hours since our ship doesn't leave until 5:00 pm. We were thinking about Blue Kay beach or Tropicante. Can anyone tell me if these beaches are fairly close to the port when we get ready to return?

Yes they are. $3 taxi/tram down to the beaches. See the link in my signature.

don't tell Steve you're from Texas. LOL

WHY?

Can't recall exactly, but either he or Evan at Nacional Beach Club are from Texas. Maybe both. Either way they'll talk your ear off:D:D

What is the beach like at Tropicante? I am really trying to decide what to do in Costa Maya. Of course last two times we just let a vendor grab us where the shuttles were and had a good time. Maybe that is the way to go.

It looks like there isn't much in the way in water toys at Costa Maya like in Cozumel? We would be happy with some good food, good drinks and a nice beach for the kid. AI is an option but definitely isn't required.

Crewsweeper, you mentioned that you know the owner at Nohoch Kay, would that be a good choice as well? We found Nachi through Island Marketing and were very pleased, so definitely open to using them again. Also the rates look good. A lot seem rather expensive for a child, but they seem reasonable.

I know weather conditions are always changing, but we would like a nice beach for our son.

Crewsweeper, you mentioned that you know the owner at Nohoch Kay, would that be a good choice as well? We found Nachi through Island Marketing and were very pleased, so definitely open to using them again. Also the rates look good. A lot seem rather expensive for a child, but they seem reasonable.

I know weather conditions are always changing, but we would like a nice beach for our son.

Are Nohoch Kay and Nachi the same place?

Are Nohoch Kay and Nachi the same place?

Nachi Cocum is in Cozumel. Nohoch Kay is in Costa Maya.

Did you mean Maya Chan instead of Nachi? Maya Chan is further south of the Costa Maya cruise port than the beach clubs along the malecon like Nohoch Kay, but same coast line.

Nachi Cocum is in Cozumel. Nohoch Kay is in Costa Maya.

Did you mean Maya Chan instead of Nachi? Maya Chan is further south of the Costa Maya cruise port than the beach clubs along the malecon like Nohoch Kay, but same coast line.

Yes, I was referring to having book Nachi Cocum through Island Marketing several years ago and we were very pleased.

I know you have mentioned being friends with the owners of Nohoch Kay. Please share your opinion of their beach. I am considering that as well for Costa Maya.

Our last visit to Costa Maya was unplanned as we were unable to tender at Grand Cayman due to a tropical storm and Costa Maya was substituted. We booked something with a vendor near where the shuttles are. It was the first or second stop, so Tequila Beach or somewhere near there is my guess. We never made it to the city. On our first visit we did something similar and ended up in a similar area although I think it was a different beach club.

Yes, I was referring to having book Nachi Cocum through Island Marketing several years ago and we were very pleased.

I know you have mentioned being friends with the owners of Nohoch Kay. Please share your opinion of their beach. I am considering that as well for Costa Maya.

Our last visit to Costa Maya was unplanned as we were unable to tender at Grand Cayman due to a tropical storm and Costa Maya was substituted. We booked something with a vendor near where the shuttles are. It was the first or second stop, so Tequila Beach or somewhere near there is my guess. We never made it to the city. On our first visit we did something similar and ended up in a similar area although I think it was a different beach club.

There's no "city" in Costa Maya. Mahahual is a tiny fishing village with some hotels and beach clubs. All the beach clubs share the same beach. If you stopped at Tequila Beach or Coco Cornona which is/was next door, you were at the northern end. Nohoch Kay is nearer the southern end. Depending on how long your ship is in port I think it's a good spot. For shorter stays a lot of people don't want to book an AI. They do keep non-AI guests and beach vendors away. And they do have very attentive service. But you have nothing restricting you from walking along the malecon. Water is typically very shallow along the whole malecon. If you look up a post by mitsugirly, whe'll have pictures of their beach. I can't access my pictures at work.

In terms of comparison between Nohoch Kay and Nachi, there is none. Nachi is probably a better all around AI and possibly a better "adult" beach club than most other Cozumel beach clubs. In Costa Maya, Maya Chan further down the coast comes close, IMO. I haven't been to Almaplena though it looks very nice.

Edited by crewsweeper

There's no "city" in Costa Maya. Mahahual is a tiny fishing village with some hotels and beach clubs. All the beach clubs share the same beach. If you stopped at Tequila Beach or Coco Cornona which is/was next door, you were at the northern end. Nohoch Kay is nearer the southern end. Depending on how long your ship is in port I think it's a good spot. For shorter stays a lot of people don't want to book an AI. They do keep non-AI guests and beach vendors away. And they do have very attentive service. But you have nothing restricting you from walking along the malecon. Water is typically very shallow along the whole malecon. If you look up a post by mitsugirly, whe'll have pictures of their beach. I can't access my pictures at work.

NCL's website says 8am to 5pm, not sure which timezone they are using but that is 9 hours any way you slice it. I suspect we will tire of the beach before we run out of time. I like the idea of an AI but I also like the idea of not as I suspect the quality at a place like Tropicante is a bit higher since it is al a carte.

I understand the typical fare is about $2 pp, do you think we could convince a taxi driver to give us a quick tour of the village before taking us to Nohoch Kay for a few dollars extra?

I don't recall seeing any review of Nohoch Kay by mitsugirly unless I missed it. If you don't mind, please post some pictures when you can.

Edit: Nevermind, I saw it in her signature and had even looked at it before. I just forgot which it was.

Edited by bruadhin

NCL's website says 8am to 5pm, not sure which timezone they are using but that is 9 hours any way you slice it. I suspect we will tire of the beach before we run out of time. I like the idea of an AI but I also like the idea of not as I suspect the quality at a place like Tropicante is a bit higher since it is al a carte.

I understand the typical fare is about $2 pp, do you think we could convince a taxi driver to give us a quick tour of the village before taking us to Nohoch Kay for a few dollars extra?

I don't recall seeing any review of Nohoch Kay by mitsugirly unless I missed it. If you don't mind, please post some pictures when you can.

Edit: Nevermind, I saw it in her signature and had even looked at it before. I just forgot which it was.

Hey, you can't go wrong with Steve at Tropicante. I personally like Jaime's seafood at NK but Steve has good cooks and you won't starve or send things back at all. So yes Tropicante might be cheaper depending on how much you think you'd eat or drink over the time you're there.

Taxi fare is $3 down/$2 back per person. Tram is the same. Both go down the same street, Huachunango. Taxi comes back the other street, Sardina. Both are one way each way. A taxi driver if they speak English reasonably well, might be able to point out things on the way down and the way back. But if looking at the back of buildings and car entrances isn't what you had in mind, not much of a tour. My suggestion would be to take a taxi versus the tram and have the driver drop you at the lighthouse and then you can walk down to Tropicante or Nohoch Kay and see the entire malecon.

And you could walk on past Nohoch Kay later and even go past Macho's Bar and walk down the rest of the village on Sardina until it becomes a coast road past the municipal pier. Several small hotels and condos are along that stretch. Been a while since I did that and I could see more buildings up but didn't have time to dodge traffic (no sidewalks on that portion).