First Cruise- Going to Alaska!!

Uncle Nicky

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are going on our first cruise, to Alaska, in 2018. I've been looking at the cruise-line websites, I think we have it narrowed down to either Princess or Norwegian, the biggest attraction being price and itinerary (want to spend a day charter fishing in Ketchikan, both offer a fairly long excursion time there).

A few preliminary questions I have now, if anyone could offer advice, I'd appreciate it:

1. Does it make sense to book through a travel agent? Is it more expensive than trying to book directly on the cruiseline's website, or do they have discounts that offset their fees?

2. Do cruises usually sell out (we'll probably go in July, which I think is the busy season)? I see offers on the cruiseline websites that say "special ends February 5", etc). Or is there a chance of getting a better deal by waiting until next year before booking?

3). If I were to book a trip this far in advance, do cruiselines generally require payment in full, or just a deposit? Once a trip is booked, is there any option of changing dates or room selection, in the case something changes on our end?

Sorry for all of the questions, I tried researching this on the cruiselines's websites, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks again!!

1) I think it makes sense to book through a GOOD travel agent. I've been on 31 cruises and I use a travel agent. A good one can provide you with very valuable information and help. There is no cost difference. The cruise line pays the travel agent's commission. However, some travel agents offer perks and/or discounts that the cruise lines do not.

2) Do cruises sell out early? The popular cruises do. The earlier you book the better. Why? Because if the cruise goes down in price, you can rebook at the lower price (ask your travel agent if he/she charges a fee for this - if so, find another travel agent). If the cruise goes up in price, you can keep the old lower price. However, if the cruise goes up in price and you did not already put a deposit down, you cannot ask for the old lower price. In addition, the earlier you book, the better the chance of getting the cabin you want.

3) All you have to do is put down a deposit (ranges between $100 and $500 per person) to reserve a cabin. With certain exceptions, the deposit is FULLY refundable up until the final payment due date (typically 75 to 90 days before the cruise date). Prior to the final payment date, you can make whatever changes you want, subject to the rules at the time of the change. What I mean by that is, if you book with an incentive and later change cabins after the incentive is no longer being offered, you may lose that incentive.

4) Stay away from the polar bears and don't eat yellow snow.

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are going on our first cruise, to Alaska, in 2018. I've been looking at the cruise-line websites, I think we have it narrowed down to either Princess or Norwegian, the biggest attraction being price and itinerary (want to spend a day charter fishing in Ketchikan, both offer a fairly long excursion time there).

A few preliminary questions I have now, if anyone could offer advice, I'd appreciate it:

1. Does it make sense to book through a travel agent? Is it more expensive than trying to book directly on the cruiseline's website, or do they have discounts that offset their fees?

2. Do cruises usually sell out (we'll probably go in July, which I think is the busy season)? I see offers on the cruiseline websites that say "special ends February 5", etc). Or is there a chance of getting a better deal by waiting until next year before booking?

3). If I were to book a trip this far in advance, do cruiselines generally require payment in full, or just a deposit? Once a trip is booked, is there any option of changing dates or room selection, in the case something changes on our end?

Sorry for all of the questions, I tried researching this on the cruiselines's websites, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks again!!

First off welcome to cruise critic!

My experiences have pretty much only been with princess as I rarely sail with anyone else.

1. I know many do use travel agents and get killer deals and credits with agnets so if you live in an area with travel agents that are willing to work with you as Cuizer2 said I would try it, however I live where their are none easily accesible and I simply don't want to do it all on the phone and have a middle man if you know what I mean. But I would try it if I had easier access.

2. Yes cruises do sell out pretty quick especially cruises like Alaska because they are in my opinion the one of the best cruise destinations and the short seasons make them hot commodities. Deals are constantly going on and with princess the day one sale ends the next another starts. I have been told that bye numerous princess employees and it's been true for over the last year. Not that you or I will know what the next deal or sale is but there will be one so better is very relative, free OBC may be best to one person but to another it may be free gratuities, or free drinks, etc...

3. Princess generally requires 20% deposit and full payment is usually not due until 75 days prior to booking, and these are based on length of cruise... If you do however cruise with princess and want to do another cruise and plan on Booking within 2 years I do highly recommend doing Future Cruise Credit. They are $100 and that counts as your down payment for another cruise and you can pay whenever as long as payment made in full by the due date... If you have questions about princess though you can feel free to ask me or browse the princess cruises forums on CC to get lots of info.

4. Hope your ready to be addicted to cruising! No matter who you cruise with happy sailing and I'm sure you will enjoy Alaska!

Additional thoughts....

• get the ship that goes to Glacier Bay for your first Alaskan visit
  • July statistically is dryer than August and September. There's a reason why July costs more also with kids out of school.
  • Alaska continues to be popular for a summer trip. With a low terrorism threat, Alaskan mosquito's are Zika free!

Hello Everyone,

Thanks again!!

Believe me, your wonderful journey is just beginning. My wife and I did the inland (Tracy's fiord) which is Juneau, Skagway, Ketechan Alaskan cruise in June 2011. Of course, you have already started the first step by doing your research. I've never used a TA so that is a decision you will have to decide if it's in your best benefit. I am so glad you found this website. It will give you so much info that will provide you guidance. I did not know it existed back in 2011 when we took our cruise, so we didn't have a clue about what to expect on our Alaskan cruise, what to pack, or what to see or do. My word of advice is, do NOT forget your camera, for you are about to see some of the most beautiful scenery in this part of this hemisphere. Another word of advice is, be sure to check the weather the week of your cruise. Weather, in Alaska, can change at the drop of a hat. Have a FANTASTIC cruise !!

Mac

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

You have chosen an amazing destination for your first cruise. I made my first trip to Alaska last year and was blown away by the scenery. If you go to Skagway be sure to take the White Pass and Yukon Railroad - stunning views.

I always use a travel agent for two main reasons. Firstly, I am a rotten negotiator if a problem crops up. Having someone who knows the ins and outs of dealing with a cruise line handling this works for me. Secondly, I have always received something from my travel agent. In the old days it used to be travel bags but now it might be a bottle of wine, onboard credit, or even a percentage off on the cruise.

There are no brick and mortar travel agents real close to me so I have used a couple of different online agencies.

One word of caution - cruises are highly addictive!

Enjoy!

I agree cruising is addictive. Our first cruise was to Alaska, we did Holland America and had a wonderful time. They are smaller ships and have been going to Alaska the longest. Skagway and the white Pass railway is wonderful. You will have a great time. So happy for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's an awesome cruise and you will be hooked!! We used a TA and glad we did. Saved us a bunch on airfare. We did Princess and loved it. Glacier Bay is a must see! At the advise of our TA we rented a car in Juneau and Skagway to avoid the crowded buses. Glacier at Juneau is easy to find as was the whale watching trip!, in Skagway in the rental car we drove up into the Yukon and it was awesome. The road goes up the same valley as the railroad but on the opposite side. The car gives you the freedom to go and stop as you wish. Take binoculars too!!! Rent the cars as soon as you can as they go Fast!! There are only so many up there. Get ready for the time of your life[emoji3][emoji3][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One thing I should point out is if Skagway is on your itinerary (great town), do read the excursion information carefully. As some of the excursions go into Canada and you will need a passport to go on those excursions.

Some excursions need a passport some don't.

Excellent point by Parrotdizes. To cross into Canada you Via car passport is required and it's no drive thru. We were obviously tourists with a thick southern accent but we got the third degree. Not complaining though. Coming back into the US we could have had a donkey strapped to the top of the car and no one that we saw would have seen it. Bizarre but true.

Coming back into the US we could have had a donkey strapped to the top of the car and no one that we saw would have seen it. Bizarre but true.

If you are trying to attract attention, you need to strip a Mounty (with horse) to the top of the car.

Thanks for all the advice & encouragement to those who replied. Leaning right now toward Princess cruises. I DO have a friend who is married to a travel agent, I never realized that they are paid by the cruise line and not the consumer, I'm going to make an appointment ASAP and try ironing all of the details out. :D

For our Alaska cruise we did a 7 night round trip from Vancouver, BC. Our biggest issue was the airline transportation from Washington DC to Vancouver - very exhausting and time consuming. Considering all the effort involved in getting to Vancouver, in retrospect we would have done a longer cruise that would have taken us further up the coastline. As long as you're going all the way to Alaska, make the most of it and see as much as you can.

Thanks for all the advice & encouragement to those who replied. Leaning right now toward Princess cruises. I DO have a friend who is married to a travel agent, I never realized that they are paid by the cruise line and not the consumer, I'm going to make an appointment ASAP and try ironing all of the details out. :D

The cruise lines will not allow you to take an iron onboard.

Our first cruise was also to Alaska, and soon we are taking our 2nd, to Hawaii! We strongly recommend taking the Princess Land/Sea tour to truly appreciate the awesomeness of Alaska and Denali. Our travel agent recommended the more active land portion first so we could rest and relax on the cruise. Also, the Skagway railway trip was amazing! We traveled in August. The mosquitos were gone (Denali) and the ports were all warmer than we had expected. Cruising the glaciers was very chilly, though, and winter hats/gloves were needed. We loved cruising and are really looking forward to the next one, also on Princess.

Our first cruise was also to Alaska, and soon we are taking our 2nd, to Hawaii!

We traveled in August. The mosquitos were gone (Denali) and the ports were all warmer than we had expected.

Alaskan mosquitos are Dengue and Zika free. No so in Hawaii for seekers.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hawaii-mayor-declares-state-of-emergency-to-address-dengue-fever-outbreak/

Harv and Marvs in Juneau is the best for whale watching! Ask for captain Liz. We loved every minute of it. Crazy being THAT close to a [emoji228]. Awesome experience!!

We also did Harv and Marv's with Captain Liz! Awesome experience and great memories!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't count on that fishing trip excursion. They have a habit of being cancelled. Mine was.

Thanks for the head's up, I was planning to go with a charter that's not affiliated with the ship. I'll make sure to have a Plan B in place for Ketchikan.

Thanks for the head's up, I was planning to go with a charter that's not affiliated with the ship. I'll make sure to have a Plan B in place for Ketchikan.

I've had short excursions that I booked through the ship cancelled for lack of participation.

Another thing I thought of is that this is one cruise where we feel a balcony suite is a MUST! We cruised out of Vancouver and there was never a time the scenery wasn't amazing regardless of which side of the ship you might be. I got up way early and ordered coffee and watched the ship pull into port every morning from the balcony and that alone was so beautiful I didn't care how much more it cost. Same in the evenings.

As you can tell we love that cruise! We have an Eastern Caribbean in April, and We are going back to Alaska next!