Port or Starboard to cruise Alaska

Depmgt

First time cruising to Alaska. We are sailing the round trip from Seattle. Since we are doing a round trip cruise I understand that we will see great sites on both sides, but, can any experienced Alaska cruisers please tell me if there is a preferred side of the ship that we should be on?

First time cruising to Alaska. We are sailing the round trip from Seattle. Since we are doing a round trip cruise I understand that we will see great sites on both sides, but, can any experienced Alaska cruisers please tell me if there is a preferred side of the ship that we should be on?
We were on the starboard side (isn't that the right side?) last year. On the way back when you stop in Sitka and Ketchikan you can sit on your balcony and watch the sea planes land and take off. The scenery was so pretty and peaceful looking out onto the water instead of the town.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Follow the link to see another thread about this question:

I've seen this question asked a bunch of times since I've been researching our upcoming Alaska cruise. The most common response has been it doesn't matter. Personally I'm not convinced. I think many people will have a preference between looking out on the open ocean and looking back towards the shore. Based on that diagram the biggest difference is that return trip from Skagway. My initial instinct is that my preference would be to be on the port side of the ship. However there's another aspect to this. Much of that leg of the trip that is exposed to the open ocean is overnight but a good portion of it is still during the day and I think enough of it is during the day that the minor Advantage from my personal perspective to the starboard side going north out of Seattle would not change my mind about preferring the port side.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

We had a port side verandah on the HAL Eurodam three weeks ago. We enjoyed it very much especially in Glacier Bay. But while on deck or in the crows nest, we saw awesome sites on the starboard side as well. Starboard seemed to have great views of the wildlife on shore while port seemed to have the better/longer views of the glaciers.

I really didnt think one side was better than the other

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My advice is to focus on where the room is on the deck and not what side.

I have found that the best places for viewing scenery will be going to the open decks of the ship where you can enjoy panoramic views and be able to move around from side to side quickly.

Keith