How do you get to St George from the docking area

Viktoria

First trip and want to visit this area. Is it worth it?

St. George's is a World Heritage Site and is certainly worth it. I presume the docking area you are referring to is the Royal Navel Dockyard. From there the best way to get to St. George's is on the ferry.

• 4 weeks later...
Our ship is offering a St George excursion. The excursion includes the ferry both ways and a tour by mini bus of St. George. Should we do this? Or explore on our own?

Do it on your own...at your own pace, going where you want to go. There's no need to pay for an overpriced cruise ship excursion in Bermuda. My only exception to that recommendation is if you have shipboard credit that can only be spent on shore excursions.

Yes, but to Tobacco Bay (.8 mile) and to Fort St Catherine (about .3 mile past TB) are the furthest.

SBtS

I usually walk to those but a taxi between them is cheap. Say $10 to Fort St Catherine. That is per taxi, not per person. Last year there were shuttles too. No word on that this year yet.

Is everything in St george walkable from the ferry?

It is walk-able but there are significant hills. It is worth the visit and there is no need for a ship's excursion. Bermuda has easily usable bus and ferry public transport.

My husband is afraid we will miss something if we don't take a tour?

If he misses something, it is a good reason to take another and another and another.......cruise to Bermuda. Do you have any idea what he thinks he'll miss??

If you really want to drive your husband over the edge, give him a copy of the 'to do' list found here. What he is going to miss!!

SBtS

My husband is afraid we will miss something if we don't take a tour?

There are walking tours that start in the square in front of the town hall at 10:30. Take the 9:30 ferry and walk the short distance to the square. They were $12 per person last year. A walking tour is much better than driving around for St. George's.

There are walking tours that start in the square in front of the town hall at 10:30. Take the 9:30 ferry and walk the short distance to the square. They were $12 per person last year. A walking tour is much better than driving around for St. George's.

That is a huge savings compared to what the ship excursion is charging. Do you think we will be able to get off the ship on the first day to catch the 9:30 ferry? Or should we save St George for day 2?

That is a huge savings compared to what the ship excursion is charging. Do you think we will be able to get off the ship on the first day to catch the 9:30 ferry? Or should we save St George for day 2?

You can get off the ship on the first day and catch the 9:30 ferry. I have done it from the Summit. I have found it is less hectic to do it the second day since on the first day passengers line up waiting for the ship to clear.

Do they still have the CHOO CHOO trolley tour.? We did that a few years ago.

I've heard that the ship lets the people that have bought excursions off first?

That's only an issue in ports that require tendering in from a ship at anchor off shore. In ports where you're docked, such as Bermuda, even if some passengers have priority disembarkation you won't be significantly delayed .

I've heard that the ship lets the people that have bought excursions off first?

As njhorseman said it does not matter for Bermuda. I was off the Summit the last two years walk off on arrival on Wednesday before 9:00 am. The ship has no issue arriving on time since there is more than enough time to get to Bermuda from Bayonne. If there was dock space they could arrive the prior day. In addition most who sail on Summit don't bother with ship excursions in Bermuda. Lot of repeat cruisers like myself who have been going to Bermuda for years on Celebrity and know that you don't need to do the ship excursions in Bermuda. Usually it is first time cruisers who do ship excursions.