LaCucina on Dawn

meglet

Have eaten at most of the other specialty restaurants, but not this one. Now, with the UDP I want to try the places I haven't on previous cruises. Can anyone describe the ambiance? I'm thinking that because it's the least expensive pay restaurant and kids tend to like Italian food, it might be the noisiest, which I am trying to avoid. I'm not expecting OMG amazing food since I live near the North End of Boston and eat Italian food regularly, but any tips on what's better than other items would be appreciated too.

Thanks in advance!

We've sailed on the Dawn five times (and booked for July) and La Cuccina is one of our favorites! The ambiance is similar to what you'd find in some of the North End restaurants. It's not loud at all. In fact, it's quiet and cozy. The food is fabulous~ We've sampled most of the menu and each entree is as good or better than the last.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. Mangia~

Waiter was very attentive...there was only one other table occupied. We liked the fried calamari too. It, however is not my fave, but maybe because it was a little too deserted when we were there. We are going back for dinner there again!

Here is my review of La cucina on Dawn from an earlier post. The terra cotta dessert was awesome. La Cucina was our favorite on that cruise

La Cucina

Day 3: Whole family partook, much better than expected, nice big room, generally a more darker and intimate venue, way more than Le Bistro was. Unfortunately we had the kids . Fortunately they brought the kids meals way way early, which was good. They also were done eating before we had our main meals, which was bad. I quickly whisked them up to the kids splash academy and dropped them off and returned to find my meal waiting. It was still hot. So DW and I finished the meal. They served the only warm bread on the ship along with multiple olive oil dips. To be fair we did not have any pasta in the meals we chose, so that could have been cooked poorly, I don't know. Deserts were excellent.

La Cucina Pizza and meal in room

Day 4: We had a suite so we decided to have our Butler bring a La Cucina pizza for the kids and two cucina salads and the bread service with olive oils and set it up in our room. Even delivered the food was warm and excellent. We really liked this venue even though Italian is not my first choice.

Thanks all. I am much more looking forward to trying it now. The one time I poked my head in the room, off hours, it seemed like it would have been noisy.

No, not as noisy as Le Bistro. The tables are farther apart and the room seems bigger and better designed.

• 1 month later...

We had two TERRIBLE experiences at the Blue Lagoon, and never went back. I dropped a note to the hotel manager in the box in the Atrium, and the restaurant manager spoke with me about the issues with the Blue Lagoon. After we conversed (and it does pay to be NICE...honey gets you much farther with cruise staff that screaming. I saw plenty of both), she gave us reservations at La Cucina (bottle of wine and after dinner coffee was comped, too) as compensation.

Now, I'm a frugal person, as are my traveling companions. We hadn't planned on ANY specialty restaurants, as we can get much of the same fare here in Boston for the same price or better. But, it was free, so we went to La Cucina.

It was surprisingly elegant, as other folks have mentioned...and quiet, even at 7:00. They seemed to follow a more European manner of dining than an American one. What I mean by that is that there was time to eat and enjoy each course, and plenty of time to converse with your party. The atmosphere was relaxed, but in a slow, elegant way. The food was....ok, not Boston North End (sorry, you've been spoiled. Nothing will ever compare.), but it was good, and the portions were far larger than the MDR. I wish it hadn't been our last night so that we could have noshed on the leftovers later! I'd do La Cucina on the Dawn again (and pay for it).

I'm glad you asked this! My dad is first generation American with parents straight from Italy, as a result, we're typically disappointed in Italian restaurants. Since we all have the UDP on this upcoming trip we'll try LaCucina. I remember the polenta and ravioli on the Dawn being very good, so, hopefully we won't be let down.

I've eaten in La Cucina on every NCL cruise I've been on -- and sometimes twice. The osso bucco is very good and I love the salmon w/white beans. I've never had the pasta, as I prefer the other things. As mentioned the bread with the 4 oils is excellent. For the price, I don't think it can be beat.

:)

Being from the MA/RI area we have often eaten in the North End as well as Providence. I'm guessing some of the best available Italian restaurants from anywhere in country are located in these two areas.

We ate in La Cucina twice on our last Dawn cruise. The atmosphere was good, service outstanding and food was much better than we anticipated. No comparison to the North End or Providence, but still good. I am willing to bet that if you try it you will agree.

We enjoyed several dinners on the Dawn in 2013. We had heard great things about the Oso buco, which my DH had ordered, but his came out tough (really surprising) and he didn't want it after several bites. Our server noticed he wasn't eating and she inquired and looked at the dish. "Oh sir, you cannot eat this, let me get you a new portion." She whisked it away, and a bit later brought him another which was melt in the mouth great. We still remember how attentive she was and how she really wanted him to have a meal to enjoy. Because of her we returned on the last evening of the cruise.