On QV but now homeward

LadyL1

We boarded the QV last Sunday. What an absolute shambles that was! The first time the new system had been instigated so we were told. The hostesses in the Ocean terminal failed to check the etickets, and therefore all and sundry were saying they had " Priority" and it was plain that this was obviously not the case. Without this melee of people at noon checkin time, it would still have been chaos as there are now just too many pax who are either Platinum and Diamond WC members. Cunard need to address this urgently as they cannot fulfil this "perk" especially on Roundtrip sailings from the UK. The Grills pax were having to fight through this hoard to get to the Grills waiting area. Not a good start!

Once onboard things looked up. Our passage across the Bay of Biscay was for us uneventful; a Force 7 so we were told, but it did affect many and the first formal night was delayed. The food has been good and our wait staff very efficient. Thankfully the ship is clear of NV.

There was an informal CC meeting on the first sea day in the Commodore Club to which about a dozen people turned up for about an hour. Always nice to be able to put the Pen names to faces.

Last night was a first for us: in all our voyages we have never eaten in the Lido in the evening, unless it was in the alternative dining venues. However there was an Indian menu which we decided to try, and were amazed by how many people had the same idea, and these were not of the brigade who were there to avoid the dress code! Thoroughly enjoyed the menu on offer, and many compliments were to be heard.

Since reaching the attractive city of La Corunna we have been blessed with mild sunny weather as we have headed south. Yesterday in the warm sun of the early afternoon we had a sailpast with the QE as she headed home to Southampton from Gibraltar as we made our way into port. Today we have had a pleasant stop in Malaga and it is hard to believe that we are in the middle of December, but it seems our luck will run out tomorrow in Cadiz with heavy rain showers forecast.

The QV remains a friendly and endearing ship to travel on. The majority of pax appear 70+, one would hazard to guess, but that is only to be expected on a no fly cruise at this time of the year, and probably less than a dozen children.

For anyone who is reading this and will be joining the ship for Christmas, she is already decorated, the atrium looking very festive and trees around the ship. I am sure a few extra other offerings will be on view for the next cruise as I remember from being afloat last Christmas. The gingerbread houses and snow scenes were a work of art indeed!

At least we have another 4 evenings to look forward to before reaching home, and the last minute preparations for Christmas.

Sent from my iPad

We boarded the QV last Sunday. What an absolute shambles that was! The first time the new system had been instigated so we were told. The hostesses in the Ocean terminal failed to check the etickets, and therefore all and sundry were saying they had " Priority" and it was plain that this was obviously not the case. Without this melee of people at noon checkin time, it would still have been chaos as there are now just too many pax who are either Platinum and Diamond WC members. Cunard need to address this urgently as they cannot fulfil this "perk" especially on Roundtrip sailings from the UK. The Grills pax were having to fight through this hoard to get to the Grills waiting area. Not a good start!

Once onboard things looked up. Our passage across the Bay of Biscay was for us uneventful; a Force 7 so we were told, but it did affect many and the first formal night was delayed. The food has been good and our wait staff very efficient. Thankfully the ship is clear of NV.

There was an informal CC meeting on the first sea day in the Commodore Club to which about a dozen people turned up for about an hour. Always nice to be able to put the Pen names to faces.

Last night was a first for us: in all our voyages we have never eaten in the Lido in the evening, unless it was in the alternative dining venues. However there was an Indian menu which we decided to try, and were amazed by how many people had the same idea, and these were not of the brigade who were there to avoid the dress code! Thoroughly enjoyed the menu on offer, and many compliments were to be heard.

Since reaching the attractive city of La Corunna we have been blessed with mild sunny weather as we have headed south. Yesterday in the warm sun of the early afternoon we had a sailpast with the QE as she headed home to Southampton from Gibraltar as we made our way into port. Today we have had a pleasant stop in Malaga and it is hard to believe that we are in the middle of December, but it seems our luck will run out tomorrow in Cadiz with heavy rain showers forecast.

The QV remains a friendly and endearing ship to travel on. The majority of pax appear 70+, one would hazard to guess, but that is only to be expected on a no fly cruise at this time of the year, and probably less than a dozen children.

For anyone who is reading this and will be joining the ship for Christmas, she is already decorated, the atrium looking very festive and trees around the ship. I am sure a few extra other offerings will be on view for the next cruise as I remember from being afloat last Christmas. The gingerbread houses and snow scenes were a work of art indeed!

At least we have another 4 evenings to look forward to before reaching home, and the last minute preparations for Christmas.

Sent from my iPad

Are you suggesting that Diamond Members or even Platinum for that matter loose this perk !

Thank you for posting such a positive review, even though you had embarkation problems. Hopefully they will sort this out soon. As I don't get the perks that those "above" me :) do, I shan't be disappointed! And I am afraid I can't be worrying about getting on board at the earliest opportunity - you lose the benefit of NOT starting your holiday at the airport! A nice leisurely lunch ashore and relaxed embarkation at about 2- 2.30 is fine for me!

But I am missing Cunard ships...unfortunately they simply are not doing the right itineraries at the right time for us next year - otherwise we would be back on like a shot!

Here's a couple of on and off stories ............

Boarding QV at the Ocean terminal 3 weeks ago we arrived early and breezed straight up to the front of the wheelchair queue. Docs and ship passes were sorted quickly but after clearing security we were told that the air bridge wasn't in use, so wheelchairs were out through a side door. The photographer didn't know which way we needed to go, so pointed us in the direction of the green channel for disembarking passengers and before we saw another face we were back outside with no chance to re-trace our steps. In the short time it had taken to get back to the front door the terminal was now heaving with people and getting inserted into the security line again caused a few furrowed brows!

Sadly, on the day before disembarkation, I had my first ever Cunard status experience. While at one of the purser desks we heard the shriek of a woman saying, "Why can't I get off first, don't you know I'm diamond?" That's the sort of better-than-you entitlement comment you can hear and frequently read on forums for other lines, but I thought and hoped Cunard pax were immune. Please, don't let this nonsense proliferate! You get extra free internet time and an invite to see the Commodore, that should be more than enough.

Fortunately, everything in the middle was terrific (as usual) and we'll be back again next year.

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

getting inserted into the security line again caused a few furrowed brows!

Sadly, on the day before disembarkation, I had my first ever Cunard status experience. While at one of the purser desks we heard the shriek of a woman saying, "Why can't I get off first, don't you know I'm diamond?" That's the sort of better-than-you entitlement comment you can hear and frequently read on forums for other lines, but I thought and hoped Cunard pax were immune.

I don't believe it was a better than you attitude. As long as Cunard offer entitlements for loyalty, passengers are right to expect to receive them, though in my experience disembarkation is more dependent on other factors such as distance to travel and general travel arraignments.

The passenger was obviously not a aware of the recent changes. Obviously not a CC reader.

David.

I don't believe it was a better than you attitude. As long as Cunard offer entitlements for loyalty, passengers are right to expect to receive them, though in my experience disembarkation is more dependent on other factors such as distance to travel and general travel arraignments.

The passenger was obviously not a aware of the recent changes. Obviously not a CC reader.

David.

As far as I remember there had never been a WC status preference for disembarkation. Only the waiting area is separate.

As far as I remember there had never been a WC status preference for disembarkation. Only the waiting area is separate.

Diamond membership is reserved for our most travelled guests who have completed 15 voyages or 150 nights on board.1 In recognition of this achievement, Diamond Cunarders will continue to receive all of the Silver, Gold and Platinum benefits, in addition to the following exclusive rewards:

• A Diamond Membership Pin3

• An additional four hour complimentary Internet Time Plan4

• Priority disembarkation8

• A complimentary meal at one of the ships alternative dining venues9

• Preferred on board Sales Appointments

• Dedicated Diamond Member Contact at the shoreside World Club Desk

David.

Pennbank

If you read my post I am not at all suggesting that Diamond and Platinum loose the perk of early boarding, but rather if Cunard offer it to loyal customers they should be able to provide this, not just some of the time, but all of the time! Maybe the criteria will have to be amended, who knows.

Anyhow, the build up to Christmas continues on QV with a wonderful festive "gingerbread village" display on deck 1. For those boarding on Wednesday, I wish you all a wonderful trip, and I am sure it will be extra special if you are travelling with children. Cunard certainly give them something to remember on the big day.

We had very stormy weather in Cadiz today, and now as we head towards Lisbon movement can certainly be felt. For me this is a great way to be lulled to sleep, for others I expect even a dull Sunday in Lisbon will be preferable.

We await to see what the Bay if Biscay has to offer for our return.

Diamond membership is reserved for our most travelled guests who have completed 15 voyages or 150 nights on board.1 In recognition of this achievement, Diamond Cunarders will continue to receive all of the Silver, Gold and Platinum benefits, in addition to the following exclusive rewards:

• Priority disembarkation8

Ah, travelling Grills I never noticed this. Tks.

Our overnight passage from Cadiz to Lisbon exceeded the Captain's expectations by way of storms. He announced from the bridge this morning that the QV had to slow down and we will be arriving in Lisbon 1hour and 45 minutes late. I slept very well through this. Needless to say, we have heard of many sick people: the MDR was almost empty when arrived for breakfast.

We are just about to enter the mouth of the River Tagus and fortunately we will be birthed in the city today. Although the sun is shining at the moment we have been warned of showers, but it at least it is mild.

So now I shall enjoy the approach from the Commodore Club, with the vista of this wonderful city.

Sent from my iPad

Our overnight passage from Cadiz to Lisbon exceeded the Captain's expectations by way of storms. He announced from the bridge this morning that the QV had to slow down and we will be arriving in Lisbon 1hour and 45 minutes late. I slept very well through this. Needless to say, we have heard of many sick people: the MDR was almost empty when arrived for breakfast.

We are just about to enter the mouth of the River Tagus and fortunately we will be birthed in the city today. Although the sun is shining at the moment we have been warned of showers, but it at least it is mild.

So now I shall enjoy the approach from the Commodore Club, with the vista of this wonderful city.

Sent from my iPad

I always enjoy my breakfast more knowing why the room is empty. I have also found that if you order black pudding for breakfast after a stormy night, some people on neighbouring tables turn a little green and depart rapidly. :0

Sent from my iPad

QM2 breakfast was disappointingly busy during our Force 9 high seas crossing of the Bay of Biscay crossing a couple of days ago.

The windows being washed by the waves certainly added to the entertainment.

I always enjoy my breakfast more knowing why the room is empty. I have also found that if you order black pudding for breakfast after a stormy night, some people on neighbouring tables turn a little green and depart rapidly. :0

Thought Black Pudding and Tinned Tomatoes were no longer on the breakfast menu on QM2. :confused:

We're on this weds - let us know how the Bay of Biscay crossing is :D

The voyage is fast drawing to a close.

The night before last on leaving Lisbon, the Atlantic again showed us some attitude for a few hours, but the Bay of Biscay has been calm. We are now west of the Channel Islands and expecting our passage into Southampton to be very uneventful.

My husband and I have enjoyed this cruise immensely and we have meet a variety of engaging people to pass the time with at various meals.

At lunchtime today we ate in the Verandah Restaurant, and the food and service could not be faulted.

Strangely, after all the activity on previous threads regarding the new luggage labels, and Cunard advising us it was one label for all, we have been issued with the old style coloured ID case tags and told to remove all existing baggage markers.

For those of you boarding tomorrow I hope you have a better experience than we did at the check in, as this was the only blot on this 10 day holiday. Other than that I am sure you have very much to look forward to, and wish that we were staying on for the next cruise, but this year it is Christmas at home with the family.

Happy cruising to you all.

Sent from my iPad