We are offended

beauxdammit

As the proud parents of a career U.S. Navy man currently serving his sixth tour in Iraq, we are offended by Carnival's use of "Anchors Away" as a marketing tool in their most recent series of commercials. The use of the long identified anthem of the U.S. Navy as part of a sort of cheesy commercial should be discontinued and some more appropriate music applied.

As the proud parents of a career U.S. Navy man currently serving his sixth tour in Iraq, we are offended by Carnival's use of "Anchors Away" as a marketing tool in their most recent series of commercials. The use of the long identified anthem of the U.S. Navy as part of a sort of cheesy commercial should be discontinued and some more appropriate music applied.

I am a recently retired Marine and Carnival gives what I have seen and used the most discounts to military. ;) At least Carnival gives to the military so we can travel and enjoy! Give them a break please as a military member!!!!!!!!!

Wouldn't a Navy family know it's Anchors "Aweigh", not Anchors "Away"?

It's a college fight song! Who care's if someone picks it up for a commercial? Is that seriously the biggest worry in the world?

Really?

I think the song is just as synonymous with the water as it is with the US Navy. TBH, I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out.

My DH is a career military man too. If they decided to use the US Army Anthem as their music choice, it wouldn't bother me one bit. As a matter of fact we even have a little dancing, camouflage hamster that sings the song and we love it. "Over hill, over dale. As we hit the dusty trail..."

To each their own, I suppose. And they do offer great military discounts as the previous poster pointed out.:)

Gee...I am a proud parent of a 22 year old daughter who just returned home from her 4 year tour in the Navy [with an additional 4 years of active reserve time to go]....Carnival gives great discounts to the military,which she plans to use. I can't say that I see any offense in the marketing of "Anchors Away" for plugging the Carnival product. Anyone with a DD214 can get a great discount on a Carnival Cruise....do not see that as being cheesy...wish I could access the discount.

"Anchors Aweigh" is the official anthem of the U.S. navy; it is not a college fight song. Just thought I would set the record right.

Great point but I was not going there as these are probably great parents trying to speak for their service member. However, there are many of us on these boards that have served and greatly appreciate the discounts carnival give us so that we can cruise. :D:D

10 year U.S. Navy vet here.......not at all offended. We get great deals from Carnival because of my status as a veteran. Besides......I love that song!!! (my doorbell plays that tune!!)

Carnival has a great product, and respects veterans by offering a generous discount to us. I for one don't mind at all.

"Anchors Aweigh" is the official anthem of the U.S. navy; it is not a college fight song. Just thought I would set the record right.

You didn't set the record straight...I think the Navy's web site is correct when it states that is an unofficial song. They lyrics are clearly a college fight song.

" Stand Navy down the field, sails set to the sky.

We'll never change our course, so Army you steer shy-y-y-y. Roll up the score, Navy, Anchors Aweigh. Sail Navy down the field and sink the Army, sink the Army Grey. """Anchors Aweigh" is the fight song of the United States Naval Academy, and strongly associated with the United States Navy, composed in 1906 by Charles A. Zimmerman with lyrics by Alfred Hart Miles. Zimmerman was at the time a Lieutenant, and had been bandmaster of the United States Naval Academy Band since 1887. Miles was Midshipman First Class at the Academy, in the class of 1907, and asked Zimmerman to assist him in composing a song for that class, to be used as a football march. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchors_Aweigh

It's a college fight song...."it remains an UNOFFICIAL service song"

http://www.history.navy.mil/trivia/trivia01.htm#anchor252177

Gee...I am a proud parent of a 22 year old daughter who just returned home from her 4 year tour in the Navy [with an additional 4 years of active reserve time to go]....Carnival gives great discounts to the military,which she plans to use. I can't say that I see any offense in the marketing of "Anchors Away" for plugging the Carnival product. Anyone with a DD214 can get a great discount on a Carnival Cruise....do not see that as being cheesy...wish I could access the discount.

Here Here, totally agree and I will buy a special cocktail in her honor on the Dream 12/26/2009 as a fellow woman in the arm services! I will be drinking it also!:p Grads to her.

You didn't set the record straight...I think the Navy's web site is correct when it states that is an unofficial song. They lyrics are clearly a college fight song.

" Stand Navy down the field, sails set to the sky.

We'll never change our course, so Army you steer shy-y-y-y. Roll up the score, Navy, Anchors Aweigh. Sail Navy down the field and sink the Army, sink the Army Grey. """Anchors Aweigh" is the fight song of the United States Naval Academy, and strongly associated with the United States Navy, composed in 1906 by Charles A. Zimmerman with lyrics by Alfred Hart Miles. Zimmerman was at the time a Lieutenant, and had been bandmaster of the United States Naval Academy Band since 1887. Miles was Midshipman First Class at the Academy, in the class of 1907, and asked Zimmerman to assist him in composing a song for that class, to be used as a football march. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchors_Aweigh

It's a college fight song...."it remains an UNOFFICIAL service song"

http://www.history.navy.mil/trivia/trivia01.htm#anchor252177

Good point sir.

The Navy Hymn (IMHO) comes much closer to being truly sacred to sailors (military and otherwise).

For those not familiar.....

"Eternal Father, strong to save.

Whose arm doth bind the restless wave

Who bids't the mighty ocean deep,

it's own appointed limits keep.

Oh hear us when we cry to thee!

For those in peril on the sea."

Here Here, totally agree and I will buy a special cocktail in her honor on the Dream 12/26/2009 as a fellow woman in the arm services! I will be drinking it also!:p Grads to her.

Thank You! I will let her know...she is busy with college, using that nice GI bill to fund her way through nursing school [she was a corpsman]. Personally... I think all the high school kids should have a stint in the military...certainly made a polished, poised and professional lady out of my baby....LOL!

Well, lets see now.

It is a popular song played by bands at football games as they march down the field.

It is very popular in parades.

It has been the background music for several cartoons and cartoon characters. Warner Brothers studios has frequently used it to indicate nautical themes in their cartoons.

MGM made a musical titled "Anchors Aweigh" a comedy starring Sinatra, Kelly and others. In the film, "Jerry the Mouse" danced to it with Gene Kelly...wearing a white Navy sailor hat.

The song itself was inspired by a football team.....that of the U.S. Naval Academy.

While it is taught in training, it has never been officially adopted by the Navy.

In 1950, the official words and lyrics were changed.

Let's not get carried away here.

Before you flame....I served in the Marine Corps, 2 brothers are Navy, 1 Air Force, father career Army, several Uncles and a few Aunts also served.

A nephew and a niece currently serving.....

10 year U.S. Navy vet here.......not at all offended. We get great deals from Carnival because of my status as a veteran. Besides......I love that song!!! (my doorbell plays that tune!!)

Carnival has a great product, and respects veterans by offering a generous discount to us. I for one don't mind at all.

Here Here, I will buy a drink for you also as the dream sails on 12/26/2009! And drink it to. Want any specific pictures of a cabin or anything that I may beable to get. Best party ever attended was a Navy Chiefs party. Some do not understand we as military persons do not get upset over things like this. But guessed because we are the ones that serve. Small stuff to us. But a good cabin at a great rate means alot to us. Ya think! Semper Fi!!!!!

Are you aware that the Navy also uses Godsmack as their background music in their commercials? An Atheist band that practices Wicca. (I happen to like their music by the way) So I wouldn't exactly be casting stones.

Here Here, I will buy a drink for you also as the dream sails on 12/26/2009! And drink it to. Want any specific pictures of a cabin or anything that I may beable to get. Best party ever attended was a Navy Chiefs party. Some do not understand we as military persons do not get upset over things like this. But guessed because we are the ones that serve. Small stuff to us. But a good cabin at a great rate means alot to us. Ya think! Semper Fi!!!!!

Very true. I really do appreciate the discount, it makes me happy that Carnival chooses to honor our service, but as you well know, the honor of having served is it's own reward. All the rest is just gravy!!! :)

Thank You! I will let her know...she is busy with college, using that nice GI bill to fund her way through nursing school [she was a corpsman]. Personally... I think all the high school kids should have a stint in the military...certainly made a polished, poised and professional lady out of my baby....LOL!

It did the same for me. Tell her I served 8 years of my career with what is known now as NCIS as special assignment from the Marine Corps. I had a wonderful career thanks to both services. Tell her to stay on her path as she is doing wonderful.

I don't have a comment about the song but did want to thank the OP and all those who have posted about their service and those of there friends and family. Thank you for the sacrifices you have all made to make this world a better and safer place to live!!!!!!

As a daughter of a Veteran of the US Navy I love that song and don't care you plays it. It just brings tears to my eyes everytime it is played. Find something else to complain about as this is not worth it.

Carnival sure does honor them with discounts!! My DD and SIL are using it in Dec. for a get reunited cruise after he gets home the end of Nov.( he is on a sub, but wants to cruise:confused: ) Been gone since the 1st of May and so happy Carnival has made it possible. Plus I get to watch the grandkids!:D

Also when we went on our girls cruise last Feb. one of our girlfriends is retired from the army and we got both cabins at her rate with the family and friends discount on Veterans Day!!

Congratulations to you AND your daughter. If you think the navy put a polish on her, wait until she becomes a nurse. I ought to know as the proud mama of a nurse myself who truly came into her own as she went through the training.

Secondly, DH and I are both proud US Navy retirees with a son who also served for 10 years and neither of us is offended by Carnival's use of the Naval Academy fight song. We truly appreciate the discount that Carnival gives to current and former military members.

Archived