We are offended

beauxdammit

As a matter of fact we even have a little dancing, camouflage hamster that sings the song and we love it. "Over hill, over dale. As we hit the dusty trail..."

They make one of those for the Navy too, where the hamster dressed in sailor whites sings "Anchors Aweigh". When DH shipped out to Iraq a few years ago someone kept playing it until I wanted to sock them with it :o But that was an emotional time so I wasn't thinking rationally.

As far as the thread topic is concerned, as a Navy spouse I don't find it offensive at all. Like someone earlier said, Carnival treats its military pax better than most cruise lines as far as discounts are concerned.

I served 6 years in the navy, made 4 deployments to the persian gulf and served during the gulf war.. I can also brag(not that it gets me anything) that I was in the straits of hormuz the night iraq invaded kuwait, not a good place to be for such a thing...anyhow, carnival hasnt offended me in any way....

Regardless of the song, the "horn" sound at the end always makes me grin from ear to ear because nothing says "I'm on a cruise!" like hearing that horn sound on cast-off.

I wonder if the "Ain't We Got Fun" ads in the 80's w/Kathie Lee Gifford got as much reaction? "Not much money, oh but honey, ain't we got fun"-- oh the bad grammar! And putting down those who are economically deprived (even they can afford to cruise Carnival)!

Thank you to your son for his service.

However the song is not the National Anthem. Although clearly you associate it with the US Navy, it is not actually owned, or even used by the service officially.

I am just happy they are not using the Village People.

LMAO...now that's funny:D:eek:

I wonder if the "Ain't We Got Fun" ads in the 80's w/Kathie Lee Gifford got as much reaction? "Not much money, oh but honey, ain't we got fun"-- oh the bad grammar! And putting down those who are economically deprived (even they can afford to cruise Carnival)!

I'm not offended by the bad grammar or the putting down of those economically deprived. I'm offended by Kathy Lee. That woman scares the bejesus out of me.

Wouldn't a Navy family know it's Anchors "Aweigh", not Anchors "Away"?

It's a college fight song! Who care's if someone picks it up for a commercial? Is that seriously the biggest worry in the world?

EXACTLY ! ! The world could certainly use more concern in other areas. :(

As the proud parents of a career U.S. Navy man currently serving his sixth tour in Iraq, we are offended by Carnival's use of "Anchors Away" as a marketing tool in their most recent series of commercials. The use of the long identified anthem of the U.S. Navy as part of a sort of cheesy commercial should be discontinued and some more appropriate music applied.

Is this for real?

Geez, I have got to admit that there are certainly bigger fish to fry than using Anchors Aweigh in Carnival's commercials. I find nothing offensive about its use.

I served 28 years in the Navy prior to my retirement. Every time I hear it played, my back stiffens a bit and my pride meter jumps up a notch or two.

Not to denigrate the authenticity of Wikepedia (hmph). Technically it is a march (albeit football march) and not a fight song (ok, so I am splitting hairs a bit :D). It was composed by Lt Charles Zimmerman, U.S. Navy (Navy Bandmaster). The lyrics to the first two stanzas were written by a Midshipman named Alfred Hart Miles and was played (and sung) for the first time at the Army-Navy game in November, 1906. It was subsequently dedicated to the Academy class of 1907 and adopted as the official song of the U.S. Navy (not just the fight song of the Academy).

ref: http://www.navy.mil/navydata/navy_legacy_hr.asp?id=191

In the 1920s a revised version was written by George D. Lottman and it is his words that most of us know.

Verse 1]

Stand, Navy, out to sea, Fight our battle cry;

We'll never change our course, So vicious foe steer shy-y-y-y.

Roll out the TNT, Anchors Aweigh. Sail on to victory

And sink their bones to Davy Jones, hooray!

[Verse 2]

Anchors Aweigh, my boys, Anchors Aweigh.

Farewell to college joys, we sail at break of day-ay-ay-ay.

Through our last night on shore, drink to the foam,

Until we meet once more. Here's wishing you a happy voyage home.

Sargent_Schultz,

To quote your namesake: "You know nozzink" :D:D

Annapolis is the name of the town where the U.S. Naval Academy is located and is not a college itself. Therefore it has not fight song. The explanation of what Anchors Aweigh is, is above.

It is the college fight song of Annapolis and is anti-Army. What was your point?

As the proud parents of a career U.S. Navy man currently serving his sixth tour in Iraq, we are offended by Carnival's use of "Anchors Away" as a marketing tool in their most recent series of commercials. The use of the long identified anthem of the U.S. Navy as part of a sort of cheesy commercial should be discontinued and some more appropriate music applied.

Now, just simmer down a bit. First of all, the song is Anchors Aweigh. Secondly, it is in the public domain. Thirdly, Carnival treats the military very well, thank you.

I can think of ten or so other things that should really be worrying you right now, aside from this little matter.

Annapolis is the name of the town where the U.S. Naval Academy is located and is not a college itself. Therefore it has not fight song. The explanation of what Anchors Aweigh is, is above.

With all due respect, Doc, but you're not so much splitting hairs as being just a bit ridiculous.

The United States Naval Academy is the official name. It's unofficially called Annapolis, just as the United State Military Acadamy is unofficially called West Point and the Pennsylvania State University is unofficially called Penn State and the State Universities of New York are unofficially called SUNY.

And "Anchors Aweigh" is just as much of a fight song as "Fight on State" is Penn State's fight song (and also technically a march), "The Notre Dame Victory March" is a fight song (and also a technically a march) and "The Victors" is Michigan's fight song as much as march. That does NOT mean they are the official school song -- or ALMA MATER -- as often these are two seperate things. "Fight on State" is not "Dear Old State". "Anchors Aweigh" is NOT the USNA's Alma Mater. That would be "Blue and Gold". I'm going to assume you just missed that part on Wikipedia.

Furthermore, "Anchors Aweigh" is just one of many songs used by the USNA in their various ceremonies and events. It's just the best known due to it's use in film, etc. etc. etc. That, and it's just a good song.

With all due respect, Doc, but you're not so much splitting hairs as being just a bit ridiculous.

The United States Naval Academy is the official name. It's unofficially called Annapolis, just as the United State Military Acadamy is unofficially called West Point and the Pennsylvania State University is unofficially called Penn State and the State Universities of New York are unofficially called SUNY.

And "Anchors Aweigh" is just as much of a fight song as "Fight on State" is Penn State's fight song (and also technically a march), "The Notre Dame Victory March" is a fight song (and also a technically a march) and "The Victors" is Michigan's fight song as much as march. That does NOT mean they are the official school song, as often these are two seperate things. "Fight on State" is not "Dear Old State".

Furthermore, "Anchors Aweigh" is just one of many songs used by the USNA in their various ceremonies and events. It's just the best known due to it's use in film, etc. etc. etc. That, and it's just a good song.

You promised me, it has been at least three hours and still we agree :eek:

I'm not offended by the bad grammar or the putting down of those economically deprived. I'm offended by Kathy Lee. That woman scares the bejesus out of me.

She is truly scary....

So is Joan Lunden lately.......

And forget Kelly Ripa...

I saw Kathy Lee on the inaugural of the Holiday (I think it was that ship). Whoa! She was really, really full of herself.....big time....and so skinny. We thought she might have been anorexic....but probably just TV thin.

She wore these beautiful gowns in the evening...and they hung on her so bad a broomstick would have looked better in the dress.

There are just somethings we're going to agree with. I think we're going to have to recognize that fact and try not to be shocked when it happens.

I think your right. The board does seem to have "relaxed" a bit the last few days. Of course now that I have said that....

I'm truly sorry if the OP is offended, but I personally don't feel there is anything sacred about the song. It has been used in many movies over the years - some comedies. I hope the OP never sees the welcome aboard show on Carnival with the dancers slinking around on the stage to that tune. :eek: BTW, my DH is a WWII Marine vet and he has never been offended by the use of military music in this manner. He and I both appreciate the very generous military discount Carnival gives vets - something that the other lines don't do.

And "Anchors Aweigh" is just as much of a fight song as "Fight on State" is Penn State's fight song (and also technically a march), "The Notre Dame Victory March" is a fight song (and also a technically a march) and "The Victors" is Michigan's fight song as much as march. That does NOT mean they are the official school song -- or ALMA MATER -- as often these are two seperate things. "Fight on State" is not "Dear Old State". "Anchors Aweigh" is NOT the USNA's Alma Mater. That would be "Blue and Gold". I'm going to assume you just missed that part on Wikipedia.

Yep, yep . . . had to go back and make sure I did include the emoticons. Which obviously you did not see. That part of the post was "tongue in cheek"

Also had to go back to check just where I said it was the Naval Academy's Alma Mater, and guess what Cat, I never said that, nor even implied it, so I miss your point.

Now one thing I did write and meant to clarify was "adopted as the official song of the U.S. Navy". I meant to add and neglected to do so that while there have been proposals to include protocol for performing "Anchors Aweigh" in the Navy Regulations and to designate it the official song of the U.S. Navy, it remains an unofficial service song.

Please note the last three words "unofficial service song". It is service wide, not just for the use of our Midshipmen at the Naval Academy.

You say it is just a good song, and it may be just a that to you, but there hundreds of thousands of sailors who have served the Navy over years who would disagree with your "small world" view of it.

True that. But to my knowledge it is the "only" one (always) played at all official Navy functions.

Is this for real?

Are you for real?:D

If we can post about smoking for over a week on one thread why not this?

If you don't like it don't post to the thread.

BTW I was in the Navy for over 20 years and the ad does not bother me a bit.

Carnival treats the military really well.

She is truly scary....

So is Joan Lunden lately.......

And forget Kelly Ripa...

I saw Kathy Lee on the inaugural of the Holiday (I think it was that ship). Whoa! She was really' date=' really full of herself.....big time....and so skinny. We thought she might have been anorexic....but probably just TV thin.

She wore these beautiful gowns in the evening...and they hung on her so bad a broomstick would have looked better in the dress.[/quote']

Kelly Ripa's arms kinda creep me out. :confused:

The original poster is entitled to their opinion. I am more offended when the National Anthem is used before some inane game. Remember we sing the national anthem to a tune from an English drinking song(and its not that easy to sing either). So "Anchors Aweigh" is played in a commercial for a cruising company....at least they use it in the right context(having to do with the sea)....

I joined the Navy to see the sea, and what I saw, I saw the sea. I saw the Atlantic and Pacific and the Pacific was not as pacific as I thought it be.

I am offended by the OP's feigned offension over the song...(since they have never bothered to respond again in their own thread...)

Now let me go light a cigar a blow smoke over my privacy fence into my neighbor's yard. ;) :D

Bill

Archived