We are offended

beauxdammit

Perhaps its use is just the continuation of a CCL theme. 'Anchors Aweigh' has been used, for a number of years, as the opening tune in their Welcome Aboard show. You know, the one with the word FUN and the inflatible ship cut in half. The dancers enter in naval attire and then remove that to reveal the RW&B costumes.

The commercial is just years behind CCL's onboard use of the song.

Really?

My DH is a career military man too. If they decided to use the US Army Anthem as their music choice, it wouldn't bother me one bit. As a matter of fact we even have a little dancing, camouflage hamster that sings the song and we love it. "Over hill, over dale. As we hit the dusty trail..."

I have a similar one which sings "Off we go,,," etc. My daughter gave it to me for Fathers day and I love it.

I see no problem with using 'Anchors Aweigh'. Now, if they used 'Eternal Father...', or 'Lord Guard and Guide the Men Who Fly' (The Air Force Hymn) that would certainly be different.

There are those who make a career out of being p---ed off about one thing or another. Don't give them their place in the sun, and they will eventually go away and find something else to be p---ed off about.

Dan

Washington "Redskins" :eek:

I was a member of the Washington Redskins Band. I was honored to share a sweat lodge presided over by a Cherokee Medicine Chief. When he found out I was in the band, he could not stop talking about the team, and had no problem with the name.

Dan

I was a member of the Washington Redskins Band. I was honored to share a sweat lodge presided over by a Cherokee Medicine Chief. When he found out I was in the band, he could not stop talking about the team, and had no problem with the name.

Dan

Of course, you get it.

As the proud parents of a career U.S. Navy man currently serving his sixth tour in Iraq, we are offended by Carnival's use of "Anchors Away" as a marketing tool in their most recent series of commercials. The use of the long identified anthem of the U.S. Navy as part of a sort of cheesy commercial should be discontinued and some more appropriate music applied.

Anchors away? Oh my! It's Anchors Aweigh! I wouldn't be proud that I don't even know what to call what I'm objecting too.

But just so you know, I don't care what you're objecting to. ALL those songs put a smile on my face, regardless of where I hear them.

And unfortunately, I don't hear them too often any more.

Good point sir.

The Navy Hymn (IMHO) comes much closer to being truly sacred to sailors (military and otherwise).

For those not familiar.....

"Eternal Father, strong to save.

Whose arm doth bind the restless wave

Who bids't the mighty ocean deep,

it's own appointed limits keep.

Oh hear us when we cry to thee!

For those in peril on the sea."

Navy has been a family tradition as far back as I can remember due mostly to geographical reasons. My own service choice was USAF for two reasons: My brother who started his career as an enlisted man in during the Korean War but ended it as a retired Captain in the Navy :) and the fact that I couldn't swim. :o

To each their own... Thank you to everyone who has served and who is currently serving - it is their sacrifice that allows us to have our freedoms.

As for the song - play on - happy to hear it as often as possible - say a prayer for all serving everytime I do hear it.

Be proud of your child - take no offense - life is too short for that.

BTW - DH served 10 years in the USN and I am proud to say I am a Navy Wife (former)

As the proud parents of a career U.S. Navy man currently serving his sixth tour in Iraq, we are offended by Carnival's use of "Anchors Away" as a marketing tool in their most recent series of commercials. The use of the long identified anthem of the U.S. Navy as part of a sort of cheesy commercial should be discontinued and some more appropriate music applied.

Have you contacted Carnival to let them know how offended you are? There really isn't anything anyone on CC can do for you :rolleyes:

Oh great, here comes the next stupid law suit. Someone is offended by a song. Please tell your son thank you for his service to the great country in the world. As for his parents, please give the rest of the world a brake. It is a song that has been used in a lot of things over time including movies. Not all of the movies were serious, some were made to be funny, but no one thought of them as making the Navy look funny.

Your kidding right? Your taking a commercial about a, WOW, Carnival Cruise Ship using a song and saying you are offended? That really is a stretch, don't you think?

I have been on two Carnival Cruises the last year and they included those serving not only in the service but those in Iraq and Afghanistan. If they were in the audience, they brought them on the stage and commended them for their service to our country. Often many are in uniform on elegant night and Carnival made a big deal about that.

I am truly offended by your thread that you think that Carnival would offend anyone by their ads, especially our service people that give so much to our country. Just so you know Americans are not the only ones that sail on Carnival or watch those ads. They are all inclusive with all countries on their ships.

It is a song, wonderful song, and yes it is the Official Navy song, but Carnival did not use the words they only used the music. When you watch that ad and hear that music, think of your son and smile and perhaps shed a tear but know he and all that serve are making us all safe. Then think about the next cruise you want to be on and were you would love to go.

Tell you son that we on a Carnival Cruise Board thank him for all he does for our freedom.

Well... go back to the "lust for life" theme that RCCL used to use...

"......the opening lyrics were about their deceased heroin dealer, nicknamed "Gypsy Johnny", arriving at Wonderland Avenue, with his heroin and his "motorized dildos". "...

I'd be more offended by that...

Another Troll who had nothing better to do with their time. My husband retired from the Air Force as a purple heart recipient, disabled veteran. I served in the Army. My father retired from the Marines and fought in several wars. To assume that "Anchors Away" would cause us to suddenly stop cruising on Carnival just because YOU are offended, offends me. While I am proud of your Navy son serving his sixth tour in Iraq, I would have to say that he would probably think..... "Mom and Dad.... get a life! It's a song!!!!!!" But that's just me!!!!!!!!

Another Troll who had nothing better to do with their time. My husband retired from the Air Force as a purple heart recipient, disabled veteran. I served in the Army. My father retired from the Marines and fought in several wars. To assume that "Anchors Away" would cause us to suddenly stop cruising on Carnival just because YOU are offended, offends me. While I am proud of your Navy son serving his sixth tour in Iraq, I would have to say that he would probably think..... "Mom and Dad.... get a life! It's a song!!!!!!" But that's just me!!!!!!!!

Not quite sure how you feel about the original post....

I'm sorry you're offended and even more sorry that simple things like this offend people.

Do you realize that CCL gives military discounts while some other lines do not???

*shakeshead*

Are you aware that the Navy also uses Godsmack as their background music in their commercials? An Atheist band that practices Wicca. (I happen to like their music by the way) So I wouldn't exactly be casting stones.

Totally unrelated to the topic on hand, but Wiccans aren't atheists. It's an earth based religion that's essentially polytheistic. Many gods does not equal atheism.

Might want to bone up on religious definitions before you start throwing them around. I know you meant no offense. ;)

As a former Marine, I am not offended at all. It definitely gets my attention everytime the commercial comes on. Carnival has been great to the veterans. A lot of companies when they offer discounts for the military, forget about the guys/gals who put in their 3-6 years or so. They sacrificed a part of their lives for our nation and then went back to being regular joes. NCL this year finally started offered discounts to veterans.

The only time I got offended by someone was when they used the image of raising the flag on Iwo Jima and swapped the US flag with the rainbow one. A lot of good men died so that flag could be raised on that island. Just the wrong image to be using to further a cause.

Dave

Well, then, perhaps you should turn off your television. As others have pointed out, "Anchors Aweigh" is the Naval Academy's fight song. College fight songs are often used by commercial enterprises. Notre Dame's has been used for more products than you can count.

Well, then, perhaps you should turn off your television. As others have pointed out, "Anchors Aweigh" is the Naval Academy's fight song. College fight songs are often used by commercial enterprises. Notre Dame's has been used for more products than you can count.

agree.

I have come to realize that some folks just can't live and breathe unless they have a huge chip on their shoulder about something.

bizarre.

:eek:

Archived