We are offended

beauxdammit

As the proud parents of a career U.S. Navy man currently serving his sixth tour in Iraq, we are offended by Carnival's use of "Anchors Away" as a marketing tool in their most recent series of commercials. The use of the long identified anthem of the U.S. Navy as part of a sort of cheesy commercial should be discontinued and some more appropriate music applied.

It not often that I'm speechless but...:rolleyes:

As the proud parents of a career U.S. Navy man currently serving his sixth tour in Iraq, we are offended by Carnival's use of "Anchors Away" as a marketing tool in their most recent series of commercials. The use of the long identified anthem of the U.S. Navy as part of a sort of cheesy commercial should be discontinued and some more appropriate music applied.

Probably not the responses you were lookin' for! You might consider taking a different approach to it:

For me, regardless of the context in which I hear this music, it will ALWAYS make me think of our sailors who have/are serving our country. I expect it is same for many if not all. I think that pays a great hommage to your son and the rest our beloved servicemen and women.

A big THANK YOU to your son and all who serve to protect our country.

I do not think Carnival means disrespect any more then any other company who uses patriotic symbols to advertise their products.

Another Troll who had nothing better to do with their time. My husband retired from the Air Force as a purple heart recipient, disabled veteran. I served in the Army. My father retired from the Marines and fought in several wars. To assume that "Anchors Away" would cause us to suddenly stop cruising on Carnival just because YOU are offended, offends me. While I am proud of your Navy son serving his sixth tour in Iraq, I would have to say that he would probably think..... "Mom and Dad.... get a life! It's a song!!!!!!" But that's just me!!!!!!!!

Perhaps calling the OP a troll is unfair. It sounds like something that he/she is truly concerned about and wanted to express an opinion. It may be an over reaction but it's still a valid opinion.

However, Anchors Aweigh is in the public domain and can be used without permission by anyone for pretty much anything.

:)

Well' date=' lets see now.

It is a popular song played by bands at football games as they march down the field.

It is very popular in parades.

It has been the background music for several cartoons and cartoon characters. Warner Brothers studios has frequently used it to indicate nautical themes in their cartoons.

MGM made a musical titled "Anchors Aweigh" a comedy starring Sinatra, Kelly and others. In the film, "Jerry the Mouse" danced to it with Gene Kelly...wearing a white Navy sailor hat.

The song itself was inspired by a football team.....that of the U.S. Naval Academy.

While it is taught in training, it has never been officially adopted by the Navy.

In 1950, the official words and lyrics were changed.

Let's not get carried away here.

Before you flame....I served in the Marine Corps, 2 brothers are Navy, 1 Air Force, father career Army, several Uncles and a few Aunts also served.

A nephew and a niece currently serving.....[/quote']

Very interesting info G'ma...thanks:)

Regardless of the song, the "horn" sound at the end always makes me grin from ear to ear because nothing says "I'm on a cruise!" like hearing that horn sound on cast-off.

Me, too... it's the ringtone on one of my phones...

:D

Well, then, perhaps you should turn off your television. As others have pointed out, "Anchors Aweigh" is the Naval Academy's fight song. College fight songs are often used by commercial enterprises. Notre Dame's has been used for more products than you can count.

OK, this is really weird. You posted in a thread yesterday that I agreed with and now again today I agree with you. What is going on here?

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH LEMURCAT, RELEASE HER AT ONCE :eek:

OK, this is really weird. You posted in a thread yesterday that I agreed with and now again today I agree with you. What is going on here?

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH LEMURCAT, RELEASE HER AT ONCE :eek:

Give me half and hour. We'll disagree on something, I'm sure. :D

A little early for popcorn (or chili cheese Fritos for that matter :D) but I'm heading to the kitchen.....

anybody else notice the OP hasn't commented since? Sometimes I think people just post stuff like this to get this VERY effect :D and then they just sit back and enjoy THEIR chili cheese Fritos ;)

A little early for popcorn (or chili cheese Fritos for that matter :D) but I'm heading to the kitchen.....

anybody else notice the OP hasn't commented since? Sometimes I think people just post stuff like this to get this VERY effect :D and then they just sit back and enjoy THEIR chili cheese Fritos ;)

He certainly has been back. His activity is showing he was on an hour and a half ago.

Some people wake up looking for something to offend them. Get over it, get on with life and turn off the TV.

I'm offended by those Charmin commercials with the cartoon bears. I think I'll go find a website to complain about that.

Have you contacted Carnival to let them know how offended you are? There really isn't anything anyone on CC can do for you :rolleyes:

OR WANT TO DO..:p

Army Vet. here..with the discounts for vets.. they can play any song they want..as long as it not the National Anthem..*that might piss me off*:D

What else can someone think of to cry about? Go somewhere else with stupid complaints. Guess you wine about those who smuggle alcohol onboard too. Darn it makes me so sad!

I'm for that, I think she needs to go back to the Princess boards from where she came...... Dennis

Archived