Live from the Radiance

isdoo

Hi Folks,

Live from the Radiance.

Embarkation was fairly smooth from around 11.30am.

Three ships all departed from Miami at the same time - Voyager of the Seas was one - not sure of the other (or even the cruise line at present) - will post a picture of them later...

The itinerary has changed though - due to stormy weather around Coco Cay, we are spending day 2 at sea, and day 3 will now be San Juan (must check out what to do there! - any tips very welcome)

Sad to say that the Concierge is rather rude - walking into the lounge first time, I was met with the stark words 'We are closed!!' - I assumed he was an attendant, and the concierge guy was not around (it was 20:45, with the Concierge being on duty until 21:00), but was a little shocked when he later informed me that he was the Concierge. As a first time cruiser with RCI, I expected a little better.

Still not to worry - we can relax at sea tomorrow and plan our day at San Juan (tips welcome ;) )

In Puerto Rico you could visit the El Yunque Rainforest (very beautiful). You can visit the El Morro Fort area or just walk around. Walking to the left of the ports you will find "Paseo de La Princesa" that will take you for a nice walk plus you can find some shaved ice, souvenirs, crafts. Go to the Tourists station in the area if you just decide to stay in the area. Enjoy your change in itinerary. ;) If you go to the Schooner Bar find out who the bartenders are. Don't forget to try there the Chocolate Martini, the only place i ever tried it and regret no having more than one. Enjoy my Radiance, i really miss her. Don't forget to bring lots of beautiful pictures.

Apologies for the lack of updates - been trying to respond to various messages here and couldn't :(

Have excellent internet in the room - a couple of tips - you rent a short cable that goes from the modem port to a cat 5 connector in a hole next to the phone socket. Either bring a nice long cable - or swap the lead for the phone woith your modem cable and both will work fine - my phone cable is 10 times that of the modem cable.

There are wireless networks on board - these do not work all the time - but are unsecured - now of course you would not connect to one of these and steal thie internet - but they do exist ;)

My internet has been fine - and I have had constant radio in my cabin from the BBC in England via the Internet - with no issues.

Day 2 - we have had another change with a stop now scheduled in St Criox on Day 4 in the evening to refuel - however looking at the press release issues by St. Criox it apears to be scheduled. (but we were not told that)

The compass advices people to stay close to the ship and not to take valuables off the ship - clearly they do not trust the locals :(

Day 2 evening - got to our dinner table to find it occupied by a group of kids - they had changed everyone around, without telling us - we had to sit on our own on a table of 10.

Day 3 - was in San Juan - went to the Mall Las Americas ($12 cab ride) - nice large shopping arcade - with 3 floors of good quality shops.

Day 4 - now in St. Thomas - about 85 degrees (like yesterday) - partly cloudy but pleasant - followed here by Costa Atlantica from San Juan.

Thinking about having a hot stones massage tomorrow - is it worth it?

Will post more very soon.

Mall Las Americas, did they have a Coach store? How long a cab ride was it? Is it near Old San Juan? What I'm getting at, is it possible to walk to the mall as part of an Old San Juan walking tour? Thanks!

No, you can't you need a cab to get there. Canvey said that it was $12.00 I couldn't tell you about the Coach store but it's an awesome mall.

We'll be on the Radiance in 24 more days. (Jan. 16). Am I correct in my interpertation - San Juan was instead of Coco Cay?

I knew about the St. Croix stop for refueling and that they were letting passengers off. I was told there was to be a street party or something of the like right at the dock. Did this happen????

I'm also curious....is the ship full do you know? This route does not seem to be particularly popular, I'm assuming because it doesn't have many stops. That's exactly what we want, but.......

Anyway, thanks for any info.

Marilyn

We stopped and there was indeed a block party. Some very good deals to be had. The person we spoke to, was from Philly and said the island is one of the safest, The warnings were being used as polictical leverage for less taxes and the like. The people were as friendly as any other island, and not as pushy. Enjoy.. ricko1 :)

Our cruise documents say there are 2 formal and one semi-formal nights. I thought they did away with semi-formal nights. Did your cruise have one?

We're going on the Radiance in Jan.

Also, when you got on board, were the rooms ready to go to or did you have to take your carry-ons with you?

Last night we went to a Muder Mystery Evening in Portifino - 6 course meal - very nice food - and lots of wine & champagne to drink. Still nursing a hangover :p Would recommend it to anyone.

As a result we did not see St. Criox - but Private Dick (one of the performers) on our table informed us that the ship had been stopping there for months - but they always annouce it as a surprise as if it is unplanned - not sure why they do this.

I heard Guisippe was promoted and transferred to the Voyager.(He was the best) We had the worst Concierge on the Navigator over Thanksgiving, Franswaw or something like that.

Thats good to hear. We fell in love with him. I remember when he was the cappacino man on the Radiance.

Archived