Metal Balcony Rail on QV

maggie3

Our forward cabin on the QV has a metal balcony front, rather than glass, and we assume that is for functional reasons. Are we correct in assuming the metal fronts are no higher than glass balcony fronts? Should views while standing be quite acceptable?

Our forward cabin on the QV has a metal balcony front, rather than glass, and we assume that is for functional reasons. Are we correct in assuming the metal fronts are no higher than glass balcony fronts? Should views while standing be quite acceptable?

The answers to your questions are "Yes" and "Yes". I think the point is fairly well illustrated in the following image. If you look immediately above the word "CUNARD" on the side of the ship between the forward lifebots and the ships name you can see the row of balconies with the metal fronts. If you look at the top of the balcony fronts you can see that the tops align perfectly with those on the short stretch of glass fronted balconies immediately aft of them.

J

014_QV.jpg

Thank you, Cruachan, for your prompt response. Can you tell us about how many square feet these forward cabins on deck four occupy?

I'm afraid I don't have any accurate figure to hand. Cunard (as you have probably seen on their site) quote an area of 242 to 427 sq ft for Britannia balcony cabins. However, that isn't particularly informative. Remember also that the area quoted includes the balcony itself.

What I would say is that those forward cabins with the metal fronted balconies look to be the same size as the vast majority of the Britannia balcony cabins. We have occupied a standard balcony aft on 5 deck starboard, and also aft on 7 deck port. Both were quite spacious enough for our requirements and I'm sure your's will be the same size.

My personal problem is that having more floor area just means that there is more room for the rubbish to spread into - unless, of course, She Who must Be Obeyed hits me a regular clip around the ear :)

J

Maureen, your pictures are great and we appreciate your sharing them. I am assuming that our forward stateroom will be about the size of the one in which you are posing, minus the view through the glass balcony front. The accommodations appear to be quite satisfactory indeed.

Maureen, your pictures are great and we appreciate your sharing them. I am assuming that our forward stateroom will be about the size of the one in which you are posing, minus the view through the glass balcony front. The accommodations appear to be quite satisfactory indeed.

Yes, you will find that, in all probability, the cabin will be identical to that one - it's just the construction of the balcony front that differs. There was a big issue on QV when she entered service because of lack of drawer space, but this has now been satisfactorily resolved by the provision of two large drawers that are located beneath the foot of the bed. They are large enough to hold a significant amount of clothing but it's still possible to store two or three reasonable sized suitcases under the bed. There are also some small drawers now in the bedside cabinets. There are two wardrobes with adequate hanging space although one is somewhat obstructed by the presence of the safe. The shower is a leeeeeetle bit on the small size especially for people like me who are on the "chunky" side but, other than that, I've got no significant criticisms of the cabins.

J

The answers to your questions are "Yes" and "Yes". I think the point is fairly well illustrated in the following image. If you look immediately above the word "CUNARD" on the side of the ship between the forward lifebots and the ships name you can see the row of balconies with the metal fronts. If you look at the top of the balcony fronts you can see that the tops align perfectly with those on the short stretch of glass fronted balconies immediately aft of them. J

Thank you for once again giving such great help and advice (and a photo!). Always a pleasure to see your name pop up with answers :).

Very best wishes

Yes, you will find that, in all probability, the cabin will be identical to that one - it's just the construction of the balcony front that differs. There was a big issue on QV when she entered service because of lack of drawer space, but this has now been satisfactorily resolved by the provision of two large drawers that are located beneath the foot of the bed. They are large enough to hold a significant amount of clothing but it's still possible to store two or three reasonable sized suitcases under the bed. There are also some small drawers now in the bedside cabinets. There are two wardrobes with adequate hanging space although one is somewhat obstructed by the presence of the safe. The shower is a leeeeeetle bit on the small size especially for people like me who are on the "chunky" side but, other than that, I've got no significant criticisms of the cabins.

J

Very well said, with the addition of the large drawers and the smaller one, we found pleanty of room for the average week or twos cruise,also as you say you store in the bags and place then under the bed.

QV is a wonderful ship, we have two weeks on the new QE next year, looking forward to see if they have added any extra draws

This is not a picture of the QV but of the Eurodam (similar hull). It shows a steel and plexiglass rail side by side and the steel one is slightly lower.

2889069070102790654S600x600Q85.jpg

May I ask what cabin no? I only ask this as I had crew noise problems with 4001!

do the metal hull baconies on the QV afford the same benefits as those on the QM2? They are said to be slightly larger and more private as opposed to the deluxe balconies on the Mary. How about on the QV?

Hi,

I am cruising on the QV in a few weeks in cabin 4032 (one of the cabins with the metal balcony rail). I received a great deal on this cabin. I have examined the deck plans and believe these balconies are the same size as the standard balconies.

I am a big Cunard fan (this will be my 13th sailing with Cunard), but this will be my first time on the QV. I am looking forward to trying this ship!

Chuck

This is not a picture of the QV but of the Eurodam (similar hull). It shows a steel and plexiglass rail side by side and the steel one is slightly lower.

That looks like someone could walk across from one balcony to another!

That looks like someone could walk across from one balcony to another!

We had the divider open between the balconies: friends were next door to us. We actually had 4 cabins in a row and had all the balcony dividers open. :)

Thank you, Cruachan, for your prompt response. Can you tell us about how many square feet these forward cabins on deck four occupy?

Cabin is most likely 190 square feet with a balcony of 54 square feet - the higher square footage balcony cabins are where the ship changes shape such as 4051 - 4054. You can sort of figure it out by looking at the deck plans.

Have a great voyage!

Cabin is most likely 190 square feet with a balcony of 54 square feet - the higher square footage balcony cabins are where the ship changes shape such as 4051 - 4054. You can sort of figure it out by looking at the deck plans.

Have a great voyage!

You really do know your ships,a real expert among us, thank you for the info.

I imagine this all applies to the new QE as well

Hi,

I am cruising on the QV in a few weeks in cabin 4032 (one of the cabins with the metal balcony rail). I received a great deal on this cabin. I have examined the deck plans and believe these balconies are the same size as the standard balconies.

I am a big Cunard fan (this will be my 13th sailing with Cunard), but this will be my first time on the QV. I am looking forward to trying this ship!

Chuck

Please keep us informed, we only had an inside which was huge and an even bigger ocean view, we may consider a balcony on QE

We had the divider open between the balconies: friends were next door to us. We actually had 4 cabins in a row and had all the balcony dividers open. :)

I'm relieved to hear that. :)

The photo showing the two types of balcony fronts side by side is very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I'm relieved to hear that. :)

The photo showing the two types of balcony fronts side by side is very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Glad I could help. :) Cruise Critic makes me take pictures like that; sometimes I remember the questions people ask here and then recognize chances to capture it in pictures.

Archived