Any box winos out there?

kjunea

I need a suggestion for a box wine to take on our cruise. My husband and I are not really "sophisticated" wine drinkers, and I am supposed to have a glass of red wine a night to help with circulation. I never have bought a "box" of wine before, but people on the boards keep saying there are decent ones out there.

Can anyone recommend a good merlot/zinfindel type, not real dry?

Thanks ever so much!

I need a suggestion for a box wine to take on our cruise. My husband and I are not really "sophisticated" wine drinkers, and I am supposed to have a glass of red wine a night to help with circulation. I never have bought a "box" of wine before, but people on the boards keep saying there are decent ones out there.

Can anyone recommend a good merlot/zinfindel type, not real dry?

Thanks ever so much!

We used to take Franzia White Zin to keep in the cabin until the kids figured out how to make wine coolers by adding it to the Sprite they got with their Coke Cards.

It packed and traveled well and the smaller boxes fit in the cabin refrigerator.

Chris: Good choice. I also like the Franzia, Sunset Blush. White Merlot is good, but haven't seen it in the box yet. Almaden has some good wines also. Not sure about the reds, gotten ahold of to many "nasty" reds, real careful about trying them, other than by a glass!

I like one called chillable red, I think it might be by Franzia?? I never thought to take one with me on a cruise before (we always take captain morgan) but in June I will definately add a box of wine to my list!!

I guess we all have our own ideas, but chillable is about as bad as it gets for me. I would recommend Fanzia's Merlot I think. Also most of the larger grocery and liquior store now carry better wines in boxes. Instead of 5 liters which is a lot to drink on one cruise at one glass a night, you can buy boxes of 1.5 and 3 liters. Carry in the box is a great idea. NMNita

We just booked for next Jan.8th. Victory & my box of wine is the first thing I put on my new list. I like whitezin but don't know the brand, but do know that box when I see it.lol How does it travel for anyone that has done this, would hate to have that mess in the suitcase.

Char

If you want to go one step above the Franzia, Almadens of the world, there is a brand called Black Box wine. You probably won't find it in grocery stores, etc. I have only found it locally in one place. You might try a wine shop, etc. It is about $20-$25 for a box which is equivalent to 4 bottles. I've tried the Merlot and it was better than the typical box wines.

My husband is also supposed to drink a glass of red wine everyday. He tends to like wines that are slightly sweet but not as sweet as, say, a white zin. Several people recommended Franzia Chillable Red. It is delicious! This is a very enjoyable drinking wine. We like fun wine, i.e., wine without attitude. This is not mediciny or Morgan Davidy....:D

p.s. I thought most cruiselines do not allow you to byob....? Is this true?

I agree with the above poster about chillable red. I am a zinfandel drinker myself. But I was at a friends and tried the boxed Cillable red and now it's the only one I buy!

Happy Cruising,

Donna

Elation

Ecstasy

Pride

Spirit 4/05

I agree with the above poster about chillable red. I am a zinfandel drinker myself. But I was at a friends and tried the boxed Cillable red and now it's the only one I buy!

Happy Cruising,

Donna

Donna, I'm with you, Did the same...always drank the White Zin then tried the chillable. Love it! It's all we buy now too.

Forchunut1: It's good to hear the Black Box Wine is good. I've been trying several boxed red wines the past months in anticipation of our cruise. They've all be very disappointing. I bought the Black Box yesterday since it was a new one I hadn't seen before. We leave next weekend for the Destiny and I'm anxiously awaiting that first glass as we sail away!!!

We're also bringing a marquita mixer and tequila!

I was at a Target superstore the other day and found a selection of square 3-liter square boxed wines. I bought the Merlot (maroon box) and it was quite good. It is, however, $15.99 per box so a bit more expensive than the Franzia 5-liter boxes. But I figure it's the equivalent of 3 bottles and it'll stay pretty fresh for awhile so $5/bottle isn't too bad. We also keep it in the fridge. I don't know if I want to pack a box of it for our cruise since we don't drink wine much in the room (we like rum and cokes there). We tend to do our wine drinking in the dining room and I bring bottles for that.

I was at a Target superstore the other day and found a selection of square 3-liter square boxed wines. I bought the Merlot (maroon box) and it was quite good. It is, however, $15.99 per box so a bit more expensive than the Franzia 5-liter boxes. But I figure it's the equivalent of 3 bottles and it'll stay pretty fresh for awhile so $5/bottle isn't too bad. We also keep it in the fridge. I don't know if I want to pack a box of it for our cruise since we don't drink wine much in the room (we like rum and cokes there). We tend to do our wine drinking in the dining room and I bring bottles for that.

I agree with you about the quality and price. This is the type of wine we prefer though we do drink the 5 liter stuff as well. A 3 liter is also a pretty good size for a cruise, lighter than 5 and should last just about the week at 2 per person per night. Well, now I am re-figuring, guess it won't last the whole week. Oh well, still a good idea. NMNita

Happy Cruising,

Donna

Elation

Ecstasy

Pride

Spirit 4/05

I guess for those who have become assustom to zins, the chillable red is a good choice, I just like the dryer wines like Merlot, Chardonay (spelling) Pinors etc. Isn't it great how many wine choices we have today. NMNita

Archived