Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
- Read thousands of Royal Caribbean Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
- Write a Royal Caribbean Cruise Review
- Find Your Royal Caribbean Roll Call
See posts about:
Adventure of the Seas
Enchantment of the Seas
Independence of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
Quantum of the Seas
Splendour of the Seas

Allure of the Seas
Explorer of the Seas
Jewel of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Radiance of the Seas
Vision of the Seas

Anthem of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Legend of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Rhapsody of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas

Brilliance of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Liberty of the Seas
Oasis of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas

Old July 27th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default The Almost Complete Food Lovers Guide to the Oasis of the Seas

The Almost Complete Food Lovers Guide to the Oasis of the Seas

Part 1: Day 1 Lunch at Park Cafť

Here is my almost complete guide to the food on the Oasis of the Seas. Why is it ALMOST complete? Well, there are a few places that I never ate on the ship. Most notably, I never ate in the Main Dining Room and I never ate at Windjammer. However, I did ENTER both places, so I can tell you what they look like. J But thatís about it.

Another place I never ate was the Seafood Shack. I love seafood, but I try to stay away from the fried stuff and previous reviews were mixed. Also, my only opportunity to eat here would have been lunch. I try to eat lighter meals for lunch. Iím sure Iím not always successful, but I do try. I did try because I knew that my dinners were generally going to be eating fests. And I have to say that on the Oasis this was the case.

First, a disclaimer, I do not claim to be a FOODIE, perhaps an amateur foodie at best. I know a decent amount about food. I do some cooking for my family. I have eaten at some of the finest restaurants, especially in New York City, which is 16 miles from my house and where I work every weekday. I know what I like and I seek out good food. There arenít many things I wonít eat, but one of them is cheese. I will eat some mild cheeses, but I hate American cheese. I donít like dairy products in general and Iím a little lactose intolerant. However, that doesnít stop me from eating ice cream. Sorry, I love the stuff.

Why did I include this disclaimer? Because reviews are subjective to our own experiences. If I walk into a cheese shop, I may not be happy, but you may be in heaven. So take this review as a guide, I even called it a guide. As I read reviews before my cruise, I was able to pick out the information I knew was valuable to ME. Everyone has their own idea of a, ďperfect cruise.Ē I know yours is different from mine. But here is a slice of mine, mostly the eating part, but other information also, and I hope you enjoy it.

On Day 1 we boarded the ship at 11:15 and took a quick tour of the Promenade, Boardwalk and then headed to Central Park. I told my Roll Call that Iíd be at the Park Cafť in Central Park eating a roast beef sandwich around noon and that any that would like to join me should do so. Two people did, Brad and Erica, and two others were there but didnít recognize me, Rachelle and Jackie.

So, how was this famed roast beef sandwich? Well, it was good! I love sandwiches. I could eat sandwiches all the time. I probably eat sandwiches too often. I have a turkey sandwich at least three times a week for lunch, but NOT on this cruise. J Sorry, back to the roast beef. Yes, it was good. It was not GREAT. It was good. I enjoyed it and I recommend it. It was a perfect lunch. They also give you a bag of chips of your choice. I had the Sun Chips. I had it with the horseradish. I like horseradish, but I like mustard more. However, it was yellow mustard, not a spicy mustard that I prefer. Later in the week I had it with mustard and I liked that better than the horseradish, though either way was fine for me. By the way, I dislike ketchup. My wife LOVED the flavored waters here and generally speaking, all the food was very good. Iíll get to breakfast here later in the week.

Not a bad pic of the roast beef sandwich with horseradish.

Next - Part 2: Day 1 Dinner at Izumi

Song of Norway-Nov 1991 * Majesty Of The Seas-Sept 1994 * Diamond Princess-April 2004 *
Mariner Of The Seas-April 2006 *
Carnival Valor-March 2007 * Explorer Of The Seas-April 2008
Explorer Of The Seas-July 2009 * Oasis of the Seas-July 2010 * Carnival Glory -July 2011 *
Enchantment Of The Seas-Oct 2011 * Enchantment Of The Seas-Oct 2011 * Allure of the Seas-April 2012 *
Brilliance of the Seas-Nov 2012 * Celebrity Equinox-July 2013 * Celebrity Summit-July 2014 *
Quantum of the Seas-Nov 2014 *
Quantum of the Seas-Dec 2014 * Liberty of the Seas-July 2015

Old July 27th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

After a lovely leisurely lunch with Brad and Erica, we continued our tour of the ship. We stopped by the stateroom to put some things down. I checked the TV to see if I could make reservations at Izumi, but I couldnít. My wife called the automated reservation system and that didnít work either. So we headed out to walk around and went to the pool deck. I said we could stop at Izumi while weíre up there. So we walked around the pool deck, I took pictures. It was generally empty there, so it was a great time to take some pictures.

Here is the Beach Pool, as an example:

Izumi was a little hard to find, but we finally found it tucked away next to the Windjammer. We stopped in and the MaÓtre dí was excited that we found them, telling us several times that it gets much more crowded later in the week when people find out about the restaurant. We were able to get a reservation easily, because as the MaÓtre dí said, it gets much more crowded later in the week. And from what I saw, it gets much more crowded later in the week. Get it? Okay.

We continued walking and spent some time in the Solarium where we enjoyed our first drink. More about that in my more formal review. Some have asked what beers are on the Oasis. Well I took a picture of the regular bar menu. I think the pub has some other choices, but these are the beers you will find at every bar.

Then we headed over to the Sports Deck. We came up to the Wipe Out Cafť. If youíre looking for it, just find the colorful surf boards outside of it.
I should have grabbed a pretzel dog while I was there, but I didnít. I never got back there and I heard that midday the Wipe Out Cafť was kids ONLY, but I never verified that. We didnít eat here, but what a GREAT concept. You can walk in and grab a few things to eat and walk out. Small place, but not tiny.

Soon it was time for our Muster Drill which for us was in the Champagne Bar. How odd sitting in there with our wet bathing suits since we just came from the pool. Since we were there on the Royal Promenade we decided to stop by the Cupcake Cupboard and have a little snack. We had the Turtle cupcake and itís as it sounds, chocolate, caramel and pecans. It was very good. Iím not a huge lover of frosting, but the chocolate frosting had caramel swirled in it which made it VERY tasty. Only complaint? It was cold. The cupcake should have been room temperature. Since it was cold it was a little hard. We shared the one cupcake and then headed to my Flow Rider lesson. After that we headed back to the cabin to get ready for dinner.

So dinner was at Izumi above the Pool Deck as I had planned in my pre-cruise planning. When we walked in they asked if we would like to eat at the bar or at a table. The bar was less than half full and the restaurant was less than a third full. We asked for a table and we got one by the windows that overlook the pool deck. My wife faced into the restaurant and I looked out at the pool deck which included the Windjammer entrance. Many people passed by in my view coming and going to the Windjammer. The sun had not yet set even though it was nearly 8 PM, so I could clearly see outside. Honestly? It may have been a better view if it was dark outside. I didnít love my view of the pool deck. Maybe it would have been better if the restaurant was turned a little so that it was mostly facing the ocean.

Our initial waitress was not very engaging. She mostly spoke directly to my wife and didnít make any suggestions and generally wasnít very helpful. Halfway through we were changed to a male waiter without mention. I have no idea why she switched tables. He was more engaging, even though his English was poor and broken. We laughed a little with him.

I decided that I wasnít much in the mood for sake, so we each ordered a glass of white wine. My wife ordered a Riesling and I ordered a Chardonnay. Both were fine and nothing really special.

We ordered the Premium Izumi Combo. It cost $23. My wife saw it on the menu and suggested it. It included Tuna Wasabi Carpaccio, Deluxe Sushi plate, your choice of any of the Hot Rock plates and a dessert sampler. I had heard mixed reviews on the Hot Rock, so I wasnít too keen on it. But the combo sounded good, so I agreed to it. We chose the Beef Tenderloin.

They brought over the complementary Edamame which is one of my wifeís favorites. Edamame was standard to my experience, which is to say it was good and salty. Then they asked if we wanted the complementary Miso Soup and we said yes. The Miso was better than I usually get. The broth was a richer light brown color than what I usually see when it is much more yellow. It was tastier than my usual experience.

The Tuna Wasabi Carpaccio was very good: thin slices of tuna with VERY thin slices of jalapeno on each slice and very small pieces of roasted garlic. It was delicious and spicy. It was a little too spicy for my wife and she was glad to let me have the 5th slice.

The Deluxe Sushi plate was nice with pretty standard pieces of sushi. The octopus was a little chewy. Since there was one piece each of each type of fish, we had to figure out who was having each piece. The fish was all tasty, but Iíve seen better sushi visually. It included a salmon roll that was cut into around eight pieces.

At this point we were concerned that we would be hungry at the end of dinner. Itís easy enough to order another roll, so I didnít worry too much about it. I also said that we could always go next door to Windjammer if we were really still hungry.

Then the Hot Rock came out. WOW it is SERIOUSLY hot. 575 degrees is nothing to sneeze at. It comes with tongs that you use to put the meat and vegetables on the stone. It was easy enough to keep the meat to a medium-rare, my preference. The meat was DELICIOUS! It was so tender and tasty. It was completely opposite of the reviews I read on here. Maybe we just got some nice pieces of steak? It comes with three sauces, a ginger sauce, a soy-based sauce and a Thai chili sauce. My wife and I agreed that the Thai sauce was the best. The other two were the standard Japanese steakhouse sauces.

Desert came and it was three samples of their desserts: Green Tea Mousse, Ginger Scented Flan and Asian Fruit Salad. All three were fine. I probably enjoyed the mousse the most, but I greedily downed all three in competition with my wife. No, not really, we shared equally. J

We agreed we were definitely full at that point. However, the restaurant was definitely NOT full, it was maybe half full at that point. Our reservation was at 8:00 PM and we were out of there by 9:30 PM, plenty of time to get to our show by 10:30 and walk around a bit beforehand.

Next - Part 3: Day 2 Baking in the Solarium and Giovanni's with New Friends

Song of Norway-Nov 1991 * Majesty Of The Seas-Sept 1994 * Diamond Princess-April 2004 *
Explorer Of The Seas-July 2009 * Oasis of the Seas-July 2010 * Carnival Glory -July 2011 *
Enchantment Of The Seas-Oct 2011 * Enchantment Of The Seas-Oct 2011 * Allure of the Seas-April 2012 *
Brilliance of the Seas-Nov 2012 * Celebrity Equinox-July 2013 * Celebrity Summit-July 2014 *

Old July 27th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for taking the time to write all of this!

I look forward to reading the rest!

Old July 27th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef_christoph View Post
Thanks for taking the time to write all of this!

I look forward to reading the rest!
Thanks! I'm planning to have it all done by Thursday or Friday.

Old July 27th, 2010, 11:36 AM
50,000+ Club

From someone who hasnt been on Oasis, I cant see anywhere in your review if the roast beef and sun chips was free or you paid for them or the cost.

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 27th, 2010, 11:36 AM
5,000+ Club

Thanks for continuing on! Jan
8/17/08 - Mariner of the Seas - & 35th wedding anniversary
8/23/09 - Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean cruise -36th anniversary - 5 days late
10/9/10 - Radiance of the Seas - From Tampa, FL-DD's first cruise
10/8/11 - Oasis of the Seas - Eastern (DH's early 60th birthday)
9/14/12 - NCL Dawn - Boston to Bermuda (Jan's 60th birthday cruise - oh my!)
8/17/13 - Oasis - B2B Cruise - 40th Anniversary (DS & DDIL (first leg of cruise - 1st anniversary).
8/24/13 - Oasis - 2nd leg of the cruise
9/5/2014 - NCL Dawn - Boston to Bermuda - 1st suite - mortgage paid off celebration!!!
8/15/2015 - Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean cruise (3 new ports) - 42nd Anniversary

I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness or abilities that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer it or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again. (William Penn)

Old July 27th, 2010, 11:37 AM
5,000+ Club

Me too.

Imma Critter #7

friend of Henry since 1994

Mariner Eastern 9-14-08
, Independence TA 11-06-08, Mariner around the Horn 1-19-09, Radiance Alaska 5-11-09,Freedom OTS 9-6-09, Navigator Transatlantic 11-9-09, Independence Transatlantic 4-11-10, Freedom Eastern 9-12-10, Navigator Transatlantic 10-23-10, Allure PI 11-29-10, Allure 12-5-10, Eclipse Transatlantic 4-16-2011, Freedom Eastern 9-11-11, Liberty Transatlantic 10-29-11, Allure Western Carib 12-4-11, Eclipse Transatlantic 4-21-12, Freedom Eastern 9-9-12, Radiance Australia/NZ 10-28-12, Allure Western Carib 12-2-12, Independence OTS Transatlantic 4-7-13, Freedom OTS Eastern 9-8-13, Navigator OTS Transatlantic 11-10-13, Legend OTS Transatlantic 4-14-14, Freedom OTS Eastern 9-7-2014, Oasis OTS Transatlantic 10-14-14,
Quantum OTS 12-1-14

Coming up
:Serenade OTS 1-10-15 and 1-17-15
Vision OTS Transatlantic 4-11-15
Freedom OTS 9-6-2015
Vision OTS Transatlantic 10-30-15
Radiance OTS Hawaii/Vancouver 4-20-16

RCI 80, Celebrity 3, Greek 1
51/629; 3/7/33;1/3

Old July 27th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly333 View Post
From someone who hasnt been on Oasis, I cant see anywhere in your review if the roast beef and sun chips was free or you paid for them or the cost.
Free! Everything at the Park Cafe is free. Except maybe the specialty coffees? But I'm not a coffee drinker, sorry.

Thanks for the question, good point of clarification.

Old July 27th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default thanks... dining advice please

really appreciate this thread...going on Oasis in November and can't decide what to do about meals. I want to try the best specialty restaurants, but do not want to pay tips to the main dining room staff when I am not there. I am still concerned about the etiquette of this on RCCL. We had very rude and aloof wait staff on Navigator and I still regret doing the advance automatic tipping. If we go to 3 or 4 specialty restaurants, I do not want to tip for 7 nights! Sorry to vent, but need some advice...

Old July 27th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Awesome!

BrianAlt,

My kinda review, keep it coming.
We are going to be doing this too, no Dining Room or Windjammer this trip, can't wait for the rest

Krickett
Carnival Festival 1981(The Addiction Begins, Thx Aunt Rose); Chandris Fantasy Cruise Lines ~ Britanis 1988; RCL ~ Majesty of the Seas, October 1995(Honeymoon, DH's Addiction Begins); Explorer of the Seas, October 2, 2005(10th Anniversary, Were Back & the Balcony Addiction Begins); Navigator of the Seas, October 14, 2006; Liberty of the Seas, October 13, 2007; Liberty of the Seas, October 25, 2008 (Lucky Thirteen, The Junior Suite Addiction Begins); Adventure of the Seas, October 18, 2009 (We're Platinum); Oasis of the Seas, October 23, 2010 (15th Anniversary, Almost Diamond); Liberty of the Seas, October 29, 2011 (Our First TA and we're Diamond!!); Allure of the Seas, November 11, 2012; Allure of the Seas, November 17, 2013

Old July 27th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviaonthe beach View Post
I want to try the best specialty restaurants, but do not want to pay tips to the main dining room staff when I am not there.
This is a conundrum! As I said we did not eat in the MDR. Actually, that was a LIE! We ate there for lunch on Day 7. With My Time Dining you MUST pay tips in advance. So we did. We had NO waiter, no assistant waiter, and no head waiter. But we had these tip envelopes. I tried giving the waiter envelope to the waiter we had at lunch, but he wouldn't take it. It seems they are already earmarked for someone else. Actually, he agreed to take all three and pass them along to...someone... I don't know who and I don't really care. I paid them, someone might as well get them.

Interestingly, we tried to pass them to the Matire d' and she wouldn't take them! There is no box to drop them and I didn't want to wait in line at Guest Services to hand them in. I would have if I had to, but I didn't want to. The waiter was nice enough to take them and I hope someone enjoys them.

But it does pain me a little that I had to pay them even though I never ate there.

Old July 27th, 2010, 12:16 PM
5,000+ Club

Thanks for the very informative posts. Did you by chance eat at the Solarium Bistro? Thanks.

Old July 27th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffinater View Post
Thanks for the very informative posts. Did you by chance eat at the Solarium Bistro? Thanks.
Patience, my almost flightless avian friend, patience.

Ok, yes. But it's going to take a day or two to get there.

Old July 27th, 2010, 12:26 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAlt View Post
Patience, my almost flightless avian friend, patience.

Ok, yes. But it's going to take a day or two to get there.
No problem I can wait. Thanks.

Old July 27th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks! I'm planning to have it all done by Thursday or Friday.
Just in time for us. We leave on Saturday for our cruise! How were the desserts? Any favourites? Thank you for taking the time to do this. Very kind of you!

Old July 27th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Brian for the review. We will be going on Oasis in three weeks with good friends and looking forward to reading more of your review.

Old July 27th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtt View Post
Thanks Brian for the review. We will be going on Oasis in three weeks with good friends and looking forward to reading more of your review.
Wow! I remember when it was far away. Chef's Table is coming up soon on Day 3. Spoiler? Wonderful!

Old July 27th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

wow, this is a great guide...thanks so much

Previous Cruises:
Disney Wonder - Nov 2005
Monarch of the Seas - May 2006
Disney Magic - Nov 2007
Disney Magic - June 2008
Disney Magic - Nov 2008
Oasis of the Seas - Nov 2010
Disney Wonder - Jan 2011
Disney Dream - Nov 2011

Future Cruises:

Old July 27th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Wow! I remember when it was far away. Chef's Table is coming up soon on Day 3. Spoiler? Wonderful!
I have been anxiously waiting for you to start posting something of a review and was thrilled to see you started with food Becuase we are traveling with our small children we are planning on spending a some nights in the MDR to eat as a family, however one of our 3 specialty nights is the Chef's Table, so I cant wait to read all about it! I was hoping that you werent going to say it was awful.
Carnival Imagination - June 2001

Old July 27th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile clarify...

BrianAlt: Please promise that all of your reviews will be completed by the time I am allowed to reserve my specialty restaurants online for me Thanksgiving 2010 cruise. I can tell I am going to rely on your experiences more than any others!!! Thanks!