Please Explain Brazil Visa/Vaccination Requirements

PatriciaF

I want to book a South American cruise for Feb 2012. We are sailing Princess this October and could buy FCC for this cruise--but rather than our preferred Santiago to Buenos Aires itinerary, Princess sails Santiago to Rio de Janeiro.

The little bit of research I did almost a year ago for this proposed cruise made it sound like the cost and hassle did not make it worth a night or two in Rio.

Please--would someone how has done this explain it to me and also explain if it is different if you are flying into Rio vs. sailing into Rio.

Thanks so much.

US citizens do need a visa to enter into Brasil and the cruise line will probably not let you board if you do not have it. You must time the visa application so that you enter Brasil within 90 days of the date of issuance of the visa.

Once upon a time the Brasilian consulates were issuing visas that had a life span of 5 years. Lately it has become more difficult to get a 5 year visa. Try to get the longest term you can in case you want to return to Brasil some time in the future. You won't need to reapply.

I believe there is a Brasil consulate in So Cal where you can apply. In fact, it may be mandatory to apply at the consulate in your area of residence. You would need a visa whether you sailed or flew into Brasil.

With respect to yellow fever certificate requirements see http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=25531758&highlight=#post25531758

Of course, you could fly out of Rio in 1 or 2 days after disembarking thereby making the time and cost of the visa application process less marginally beneficial than if you were to spend more time in the country - which prompts the obvious question. Why not plan to stay in Brasil more than a night so that the visa application "hassle" is outweighed by the experience of visiting a pretty exotic place for enough time to see more than the port, Corcovado or Sugarloaf and a hotel room for a night.

pmacher61´s comments are right on....There is so much to do and see in Brazil , take advantage of your visa !

There is a Brazilian Consulate in San Francisco and one in L.A.

Unfortunately two to two and half weeks is all we can afford to be away--no work no pay!

Once upon a time the Brasilian consulates were issuing visas that had a life span of 5 years. Lately it has become more difficult to get a 5 year visa. Try to get the longest term you can in case you want to return to Brasil some time in the future. You won't need to reapply.

I'm not sure what time frame lately is vs once upon a time, but last november when we got ours they were 5 year visas. That said, you don't seem to get any say in the matter as to what you get, you just get what they decide on.

We were also lucky because the Chicago consulate allowed you to mail in the visa applications instead of having to do it in person (which is just as well, because it was right around the same time that suddenly the LA consulate was making it all but impossible to schedule appointments to get visas).

I want to just revise one statement and that was that the cruise line will probably not less you board.

The answer is that if your cruise stops in Brazil you must have a visa for Brazil or you will not be allowed to embark the ship.

Now while we have sailed itineraries that include Brazil we have also sailed itineraries that do not include Brazil such as from Buenos Aires to Santiago. This itinerary on its own is a truly wonderful itinerary. If my time was more limited I would take this itinerary and spend a few days pre or post cruise in Buenos Aires which I think is an exceptional city. So, don't feel compelled to do a longer cruise. This will be a great one.

Keith

Visa lengths are normally based on reciprocity: they give what the other country gives. I believe it's being increased to 10 years now. Flying into or sailing into Brazil is the same. You need a visa beforehand. No airport visas. Vaccination requirements depend on where you're coming from. If you've come from a yellow fever endemic area, you need that shot. If not, it's not normally a problem. I'm an American currently residing in Brazil, in a non-endemic area. Never had a problem. Check with the Brazilian Consulate or Embassy.

Princess used to sail Buenos Aires-Valaparaiso (Santiago) and back, but changed about a year ago to Rio-Valparaiso. If you really don't want to go to Rio, you could get off the ship when it docks in Buenos Aires, or Montevideo, though you have to arrange this with the cruise line in advance, and you would get no discount for curtailing your cruise. When my wife and I sailed form B.A. to Santiago (Valparaiso), I got off the ship in Montevideo and back on in Ushuaia (long story why). My wife stayed on the ship. Your situation would be simpler, since if you disembarked in B.A. you wouldn't be getting back on again. Princess just needs to arrange your billing, etc. I'm not encouraging you to miss Rio, but if you want to get off sooner it is likely an option. And other lines may do just B.A.-Valparaiso. You certianly plan ahead (2012?).

p.s. you could fly back to the U.S. non-stop from Montevideo or Buenos Aires, but there are more choices from B.A. The Brazilian Consulate serving Southern California is in Los Angeles. http://www.brazilian-consulate.org/ Site says the consulate does not accept or return visas by mail (no exceptions). Immunization regs are at http://www.brazilian-consulate.org/files.php?id=5

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I had looked at doing the Santiago-Ba cruise in 2011 with Celebrity but as Infinity is going into dry dock in April 2011 decided to postpone. I really like HAL but many of the SoAmerican reviews state lots of smokers as Celebrity is almost non-smoking and HAL is very liberal--so lots of the South Americans select HAL so it is even more smoky than US cruises.

As we are sailing Princess this October thought it might be a good idea purchase FCC to sail Princess especially as it stops (or tries to if the weather permits) at Falkland Islands. But--the Brazil visa issue has been problematic to me.

I like to plan things--so considering 2012 for vacation isn't that far away--I already have our Spring airfare booked (we use points) and are reading up on hotels.

Booking early can pay off in cabin selection and price. The Infinity sailing I am booked on for FEB 2011, I made in April 2009 and now cabins, if they are available, are up in price as much as $1000 pp. The fares for Infinity in 2012 started almost $300 pp higher. SA cruises seem to be up in popularity, or at least the cruise lines seem to think that way.

• 9 months later...

No doubt, this is not the appropriate place to ask this question, but, since I stumbled upon you and you appear to have done South American cruises several times, I have a question.

We are going on the Infinity on 2/12/12 (Val. to Buenos Aires) and, at the conclusion of the cruise,we are going to fly to Iguasu Falls. Thence we are going on from the Falls to Rio. Two nights each BA, IFalls and Rio. Here are my questions:

I can't find a non-stop flight from the Argentina side direct to Rio, so it appears that we must fly out of the Brazilian side to Rio on LAN or TAM. This means lugging our stuff with us while we view the Brazil side. I have read on CC several times regarding tour operators stealing items from locked luggage while the tourists were at the Falls. How can I find a reliable tour operator? Have you used any in the past or done it all on your own? Another question is whether or not the Sheraton is worth it or is another hotel just as suitable (though not on the Falls or in the park.)

Perhaps my search skills are not very good, but I've found almost nothing on CC to help me with my Iguasu visit.

One more thing, is luggage restriction a great problem? We'll be going: BA-Iguasu Falls. Return from Brazilian side to Rio.

Any advice would be so greatly appreciated.

Hi susie, let me recommend that you start a new thread on your questions. I am sure that you will be able to get input on this from others who stayed at the Sheraton and who had similar requirements when it came to their luggage.

Keith

I believe only TAM flies the domestic route of Foz de Iguaçu, Brazil to Rio. You could get there from the Argentine side but would need a connection, probably in Buenos Aires or Montevideo, and would pay more. You should be able to find a tour that takes you to the Brazilian side of the falls and on to the airport. Ask your hotel. BTW, luggage allowances on domestic flights in Brazil are low, like in Europe. 23kg total (not per bag, but total), as I recall. See http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/TAM_Airlines/baggage.php And I'm not sure that the allowance is any higher flying between Argentina and Brazil. TAM has ticket offices in the U.S., so maybe they, or a T.A., can advise you. TAM is in the Star Alliance, so if you hve elite status in that alliance you may get a higher limit.

• 3 weeks later...
I want to book a South American cruise for Feb 2012. We are sailing Princess this October and could buy FCC for this cruise--but rather than our preferred Santiago to Buenos Aires itinerary, Princess sails Santiago to Rio de Janeiro.

The little bit of research I did almost a year ago for this proposed cruise made it sound like the cost and hassle did not make it worth a night or two in Rio.

Please--would someone how has done this explain it to me and also explain if it is different if you are flying into Rio vs. sailing into Rio.

Thanks so much.

I'm sure this is obvious, but I wanted to add a reminder to readers of this thread that visa requirements vary by country. I'm Canadian and while much of the process for getting a visa to Brazil is the same, there are some differences.

I'd also suggest being careful with visa agents. We are going to sail on Azamara and the company they recommend not only charges a lot to walk you through the visa process, we found that they had inaccurate information about the requirements.

The Consulate General for Brazil in our province was extremely helpful and responsive (helped us sort out what the right info really was). While the visa required a number of documents all of the requirements were laid out on the Consulate General's website so it was just a matter of paying attention to what is needed (e.g., getting photos that are the right size, having all of the documentation, etc.). It seemed a little overwhelming at first but so far everything appears to be working just fine (but we are still mid-stream on this). I'd encourage you to give it a try - it might not be as bad as it seems.

Depending on where you live in the USA you do not always have the option of a do-it-yourself application. I have always applied for & recd visas without an intermediary agent but for Brazil (and India) I had no choice but to use a visa agent unless I wanted to travel to LA from where we live in Utah!!

Its great to get immigration, visa or immunization advice here on CC. But only generally. All these regulations can change regularly. In the final analysis do search out official country websites with official up to date info.

Archived