Criticisms of Rotterdam in September

HappyInVan

Some reviews have been critical of the ship during the September 31-day cruise. Any improvement in October?

Pretty bad review of the Rotterdam's food and entertainment by mjjclark1. Hope that its better in October.

There's one from sintacks about several things including the layout. MercedCA mentioned the plumbing. Likewaves gives more details about the plumbing.

Oh dear! Looks like the longer cruises get more disabled passengers!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=37

I saw the OP's post late last night and I've been thinking about it ever since.

My only real cruise experience was on the Celebrity Solstice, which my wife and I heartily enjoyed.

We saw a Sept, 2011 Rotterdam itinerary that visited places we wanted to see, notably Spain and Portugal, and consulted our TA.

We were told that Celebrity and HAL were more similar than not and that if we liked one, we'd like the other.

Now I read the reviews your post refers to and they are indeed negative on almost all aspects of the cruise; logistics, food, service, quality, etc.

After reading other HAL posts on everything from smoking to dress code I'm starting to wonder if indeed HAL is everything it's cracked up to be.

After reading other HAL posts on everything from smoking to dress code I'm starting to wonder if indeed HAL is everything it's cracked up to be.

I think that all cruise lines over-sell their 'excellence'. In these days of over-capacity and declining prices, it would be hard to maintain standards. The question is how far they have slipped for a particular ship and itinerary.

Of course, we have to be fair. Even the best organizations have bad days. The problem is that the bad day occurs when you are a customer.

It is vital that consumers become proactive. WE need honest information in order to avoid the bad. WE have to keep organizations on their toes. WE need to complain constructively.

Then, vote with our feet. The pricing of our tickets have to reflect the reality.

Anyone with feedback from October. Good or BAD?

Some reviews have been critical of the ship during the September 31-day cruise. Any improvement in October?

Pretty bad review of the Rotterdam's food and entertainment by mjjclark1. Hope that its better in October.

There's one from sintacks about several things including the layout. MercedCA mentioned the plumbing. Likewaves gives more details about the plumbing.

Oh dear! Looks like the longer cruises get more disabled passengers!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=37

The dreaded ` disabled passengers`inconvienience.

There's one from sintacks about several things including the layout.

Anyone who complains about the layout of the Rotterdam has no credibility with me. She is has a very nicely layed out deckplan.

I have happily sailed 129 days on this Rotterdam, and would gladly set sail on another 129.

"Oh dear!"? This is a problem because ...?

I think that mjjclark explained it well and fairly ...

"The average age on this ship was in the 70's to be kind, the problem wasn't the age as much as physical condition. Many of the passengers looked to be very ill, in fact my understanding was that 11 people needed to be taken to the hospital in Hawaii, I didn't stay up to date on that number, but I'm sure it ballooned. One passenger I was traveling with, who happens to be 67 y/o, described the ship as reminding her of a convalescent home. I am not sure about that but there definitely was a record amount of ride on scooters.

As with any cruise or vacation I still had an overall good time, mainly due to a nice itinerary, and good tours that I booked on my own. And of course good company."

I understand the facts as reported. What I don't understand is why those facts are a problem.

That some elderly and disabled (regardless of age) are able to travel is great, not a negative. All elderly and disabled should be so fortunate. And those who are not yet elderly, and not disabled, should look at those who are as positive examples of where their own lives can lead.

I understand the facts as reported. What I don't understand is why those facts are a problem.

That some elderly and disabled (regardless of age) are able to travel is great, not a negative. All elderly and disabled should be so fortunate. And those who are not yet elderly, and not disabled, should look at those who are as positive examples of where their own lives can lead.

Well said.

Anyone who complains about the layout of the Rotterdam has no credibility with me. She is has a very nicely layed out deckplan.

I have happily sailed 129 days on this Rotterdam, and would gladly set sail on another 129.

I don't think that you need to impunge mjjclark's credibility. The reviewer did praise the service staff but raised a number of issues.

For example, you may like the layout. But, there may be others who agree with mjjclark1. It's not a matter for debate or name calling. It's a just a point of concern for some people.

After all, any redesign of a vessel has to come with compromises!

any ship who does not have direct access from/to both pool areas, has not a "nice layout".

On the Rotterdam, if you want to go from the pool to the retreat, you have to dress up because you can only go through the Lido or go in the lift (dressed up in both cases) up one floor and through the basket ball court (that no one uses).

The theater is small: it cannot accomodate even one quarter of the passengers.

The gym is tiny but with old age/oversize passengers, it is seldom used.

Showers in the bathtubs may be nice to see but not very practical for passengers who can barely walk, let alone climb into the bathtub.

any ship who does not have direct access from/to both pool areas, has not a "nice layout".

On the Rotterdam, if you want to go from the pool to the retreat, you have to dress up because you can only go through the Lido or go in the lift (dressed up in both cases) up one floor and through the basket ball court (that no one uses).

The theater is small: it cannot accomodate even one quarter of the passengers.

The gym is tiny but with old age/oversize passengers, it is seldom used.

Showers in the bathtubs may be nice to see but not very practical for passengers who can barely walk, let alone climb into the bathtub.

As one who never even uses the pools, that would not matter to me at all. Just shows what some like, others may dislike.

Kirk

Just a general comment. I think you have to look at all reviews, be they 1 star or 5 stars with a grain of salt. Everyones tastes and desires are different and many items are very subjective. Case in point is the cruise the OP refers to, there is a 2 star review, a 3 star review and a 5 star review so obviously there is a pretty diverse opinion on this cruise.

Kirk

Case in point is the cruise the OP refers to, there is a 2 star review, a 3 star review and a 5 star review so obviously there is a pretty diverse opinion on this cruise.

Kirk

The ratings system is not of value when the sample size is so small. I found the details to be more interesting. It would be a major negative if we had to fight for a seat in the small theater. I might not have signed on if I had known that the Rotterdam had all these issues.

It is curious that we haven't heard from the cheerleaders from the October cruises. Currently, the Rotterdam is en-route from San Diego (Oct 23) to Lima (Nov 6). So, there should already have been many passengers off the ship in October.

I will be boarding in Lima on the 7th. I will carefully look over the issues discussed, and let you know. I am bracing myself for disappointment. Perhaps, I might be surprised on the upside!

I wouldn't consider putting on a swimsuit coverup "dressing up."

well, let say "getting dressed" then?

If you are dripping wet it is difficult to "cover up, get dressed, put something on". If you are not dripping but just over heated and want some fresh air or go and smoke a cigarette (I don't smoke, but other do) going - all sweated - through a freezing air conditioned area does miracles for your health.

You got that right. One day you are healthy and the next health problems start and progress fast or slow. Those posters who are negative to the elderly:(, your day will come, sooner than you think, then remember what you said.

... I will be boarding in Lima on the 7th. I will carefully look over the issues discussed, and let you know. I am bracing myself for disappointment. Perhaps, I might be surprised on the upside!

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances." - Martha Washington

You got that right. One day you are healthy and the next health problems start and progress fast or slow. Those posters who are negative to the elderly:(, your day will come, sooner than you think, then remember what you said.

Hang on!

No one on this thread or the reviews said anything against the elderly or the infirm. There is some concern about the number of passengers who had to be evacuated to the hospital, and the rapid spread of illness.

We have the choice of what kind of holiday we take. Some prefer a kids-friendly environment. Others perfer the opposite. Some perfer an activities-rich itinerary. Others prefer the opposite.

IMO, it is perfectly alright to identify which itineraries have an older OR younger demographics. We're not exchanging snipe remarks, or flaming the elderly OR young.

Hang on!

No one on this thread or the reviews said anything against the elderly or the infirm. There is some concern about the number of passengers who had to be evacuated to the hospital, and the rapid spread of illness.

We have the choice of what kind of holiday we take. Some prefer a kids-friendly environment. Others perfer the opposite. Some perfer an activities-rich itinerary. Others prefer the opposite.

IMO, it is perfectly alright to identify which itineraries have an older OR younger demographics. We're not exchanging snipe remarks, or flaming the elderly OR young.

You are perfectly right, I thought this would be a mostly "older" passenger cruise, since not many persons have one month or more to go on holiday. You have to be retired, normally, or on a honeymoon.

We were just unlucky : it was more a "retired boat" than a "love boat".

Let's put it this way :

when you pay a considerable amount of money to have a nice holiday and you are an average middle age person (around 60, still walking, normal size) you may be a little dissapointed if you find out the cruise, you have been dreaming of for all your life, ends up to be on a ship where a person who looks quite dead is carried through the pool area on a stretcher, others are so sick they have to be taken to hospital or cough their lungs out all day and feel sick because hand washing is never enough.

The stinks on lower floors, the problems in our cabin like the air conditioning stuck on freezing (we had 16 celsius in our cabin), the shower head that did not work properly, remote without batteries and dvd player that worked with certain dvds and not with others, minor things that did not ruin our cruise but that should have been taken care before new passengers came on board.

And when I am older I will no more go skydiving in Hawaii, I promise.

hawaiiprima411.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You are perfectly right, I thought this would be a mostly "older" passenger cruise, since not many persons have one month or more to go on holiday. You have to be retired, normally, or on a honeymoon.

We were just unlucky : it was more a "retired boat" than a "love boat".

Long cruises have always been thus...

...and "Love Boat" was a TV show, not reality.

If someone wants a non-stop party cruise w/ bare-chest parties and beer binges, there's the 3, 4 and 7 day cruises to Mexico and the Bahamas on Carnival and RCL.

Long cruises have always been thus...

...and "Love Boat" was a TV show, not reality.

If someone wants a non-stop party cruise w/ bare-chest parties and beer binges, there's the 3, 4 and 7 day cruises to Mexico and the Bahamas on Carnival and RCL.

Sorry but in my experience, long cruises in europe are not at all "thus", as you say, and I would feel slightly embarassed if I had to attend a bare-chest party : I do not drink beer.

Archived