Here are the Terms & Conditions When Purchasing a NextCruise Booking

We purchased 2 NC bookings in January of 2011, so I thought I would post what the Terms & Conditions currently listed are on a NextCruise Confirmation letter. Pay particular attention to #10.

Royal Caribbean NextCruise Terms and Conditions

1. You can apply the value of your NextCruise account against the cost of a Royal Caribbean International cruise. A NextCruise Booking is not valid on any other cruise lines including any other affiliates of Royal Caribbean International.

2. A minimum of one person per booking must be 21 years of age or older and all guest(s) must satisfy Royal Caribbean International's requirements for passage.

3. Pricing, availability and dining time to be determined at time of selection of ship and sailing date and is subject to change.

4. Final payment is due 50 days prior for 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 night sailings; 70 days prior for 6 or more night sailings and 90 days prior for holiday sailings. (These refund dates are subject to change without notice.) If ship and sailing date is selected within the final payment period, full balance will be due immediately.

5. Full Names are required at time of booking. Changes to the reservation may be permitted, subject to availability and any other restrictions and applicable cancellation changes. At least one name on the original booking must remain the same.

6. This confirmation is non-refundable and has no cash value.

7. To apply your NextCruise account balance against a specific ship and sailing date contact your Travel Agent.

8. Your NextCruise account balance cannot be used for cruises chartered by third parties and may not be used for certain customized group programs (i.e., value add groups).

9. Your NextCruise account balance is not redeemable for cash.

10. If your NextCruise account balance is applied to an actual ship and sailing date, and then the booking cancels, the guest may request a refund, less the value of the initial NextCruise deposit.

Also be aware that your booking date will be the date of the actual deposit date, which might be a concern if you need to book travel insurance that will include a waiver for pre exsisting conditions. We did a book on board without picking the actual date back in October of 2010. We just booked last week and found no insurance company that would use last weeks date as the booking date. If a waiver for pre exsisting is important maybe the low deposit and obc isn't as good as it sounds since you aren't contracting the insurance within the normal 14days from deposit requirement.

Also be aware that your booking date will be the date of the actual deposit date, which might be a concern if you need to book travel insurance that will include a waiver for pre exsisting conditions. We did a book on board without picking the actual date back in October of 2010. We just booked last week and found no insurance company that would use last weeks date as the booking date. If a waiver for pre exsisting is important maybe the low deposit and obc isn't as good as it sounds since you aren't contracting the insurance within the normal 14days from deposit requirement.

That might only apply to a pre-existing condition..........but under normal circumstances, your NC booking goes into effect the day/date you assign a specific ship/sailing date to it.........not the day/date it was created/purchased.

So they noticed their error;)

Yep....it pays to read the fine print!:D

OK, I'm confused:confused:. Isn't the Future Cruise offered lately a 'way better' deal? ($100 deposit; OBC and combinable w/your balcony discount)

Can be cancelled w/no penalty. Can keep same ship and move it forward with no increase to deposit and no loss of OBC (if prior to final payment). Or can put it towards another ship as long as you keep the ressie number.

The Next Cruise booking wasn't really 'offered' on my Serenade cruise (Jan). Loyalty Ambassador said I could do it - but this was best.

Is the offer I got (and accepted) only a limited thing or certain sailings?

OK, I'm confused:confused:. Isn't the Future Cruise offered lately a 'way better' deal? ($100 deposit; OBC and combinable w/your balcony discount)

Can be cancelled w/no penalty. Can keep same ship and move it forward with no increase to deposit and no loss of OBC (if prior to final payment). Or can put it towards another ship as long as you keep the ressie number.

The Next Cruise booking wasn't really 'offered' on my Serenade cruise (Jan). Loyalty Ambassador said I could do it - but this was best.

Is the offer I got (and accepted) only a limited thing or certain sailings?

You get the reduced deposit on either a specific (future) cruise booking or a NextCruise booking when booking on board. You also get the OBC and either a P/D/D+ balcony discount or, if you book a non-balcony cabin, the ability to use a C&A certificate if one becomes available for your cruise.

The only difference is that your future cruise deposit is totally refundable if you cancel prior to final payment. With a NC, once assigned to a ship, and if you cancel, it is non-refundable.

We found this to be the case as well. Your Next Cruise deposit date, is the date of booking....and according to the online chat with Insure my trip, any money put towards the cruise booking is considered to be the deposit.

So the pre-existing exclusion waivers for insuring promptly don't apply to a Next Cruise certificate. Thankfully, we haven't had to use our travel insurance, so I don't know how much help any of that would be anyway.

Thanks for posting all the T&C's Patti. I appreciate it. We still buy them, because we plan to take many more cruises.....we just don't know when yet. And the certificates work much better for us than a future booking, what with work and vacation allotments. And they allow us to look for a great price, itinerary and combine discounts. :D

You get the reduced deposit on either a specific (future) cruise booking or a NextCruise booking when booking on board. You also get the OBC and either a P/D/D+ balcony discount or, if you book a non-balcony cabin, the ability to use a C&A certificate if one becomes available for your cruise.

The only difference is that your future cruise deposit is totally refundable if you cancel prior to final payment. With a NC, once assigned to a ship, and if you cancel, it is non-refundable.

Thanks Patti -- guess the cancellation thing was more why LA said it was a 'better deal'. To me, I think, it is still the better deal - even if only $100(CDN -- woo hoo -- we were actually a bit stronger when I booked, so par :p) I just booked the Oasis September 2012 as that was the last booking RCI has posted - so once they announce their full 2012 early 2013 I know I can keep everything and move it w/no penalty / loss even though I "booked" the Oasis.

And purchasers should know that the initial deposit is not refundable. Informed consumers are better. And who knows? It may be one of those policies that they don't enforce....and then all of a sudden they do, when it affects you. :)

That might only apply to a pre-existing condition..........but under normal circumstances, your NC booking goes into effect the day/date you assign a specific ship/sailing date to it.........not the day/date it was created/purchased.

Yep....it pays to read the fine print!:D

NO, the booking date on your reservation is the day you purchased the next cruise, the next cruise booking number is used as your booking number from that point forward, the bookin date has nothingto do with when you actually asign a cruise to your next cruise booking.

Here's the difference between "purchase" date and "booking" date.

The day/date that you purchase your NC is the day/date that you are locked into what ever the current policies are in regards to price reductions, combining of benefits, etc. Yes, it has a booking number, but you can not add that booking number in your My Cruises Account because it doesn't represent anything. You can't purchase insurance because insurance is usually based on cruise length/cruise cost. I am not at all familiar with purchasing insurance for pre-existing conditions where a NC is concerned.

The day/date that you actually book a cruise using your NC certificate is the day/date where your family/friends have 30 days to book the same cruise from the date that you booked...........you have 60 days to transfer that booking to a TA............and now, if you want, you can purchase insurance. Though, insurance can also be purchased when final payment is due.

OK....Here is my stupidity...Am I understanding that there is a difference between a future cruise and a next cruise?

Or, is there just one type of cruise to book while on board an existing cruise? We are going on the Enchantment in April and want to book a future cruise for March of 2012 while onboard the Enchantment. So, am I to book a "Future Cruise" while on board?

Thanks for the help. I guess I get confused easily.

OK....Here is my stupidity...Am I understanding that there is a difference between a future cruise and a next cruise?

Or, is there just one type of cruise to book while on board an existing cruise? We are going on the Enchantment in April and want to book a future cruise for March of 2012 while onboard the Enchantment. So, am I to book a "Future Cruise" while on board?

Thanks for the help. I guess I get confused easily.

If the cruise you want is available to book while on board Enchantment, then you will be booking a Future Cruise and will receive the Booking Bonuses that you are entitled to. You will pay the $100pp deposit and that deposit is totally refundable if you cancel.

A NextCruise is a booking that is purchased while on a ship because a particular itinerary has not been released yet........but it will get you all the Booking Bonuses you are entitled to when you do assign an itinerary to your booking number. Here you will also pay a $100pp deposit, but it is a non-refundable deposit.

If you book a Grand Suite or higher with either booking, then a double deposit is required and that deposit is determined by the length of the cruise.

There are two types of onboard bookings, Future Cruise, where you actually book a specific cruise and the other, Next Cruise Promotion, where you place a deposit and get a booking ID number but you have not specified an actual cruise. Both give you benefit such as reduced deposit and OBC for you and friends/family who book same cruise within 30 days of your booking date.

Next Cruise bookings can be booked at anytime after disembarking they are not just for cruises that have not yet been released. My original posting about pre-exsisting conditions really was just a heads up as we ran into this just recently. In Oct. we took a NC booking because of the $100 pp deposit and the OBC. Had no medical issues at the time in Oct. In January I had a medical problem and found out that when we booked in Feb. for a cruise in May that the booking date rolled back to Oct. which in turn did not allow me to qualify for a "pre-exsisting waiver" if purchasing the travel insurance within 14 days of booking. I believe now I must be "out" 90 days from my hospitalization without a recurrance that would force me to cancel the cruise. Some of the insurance companies have 180 days out. Obviously if there are no medical reasons to cancel this is really a moot point. Sorry if there was any confusion.

A NextCruise is a booking that is purchased while on a ship because a particular itinerary has not been released yet........but it will get you all the Booking Bonuses you are entitled to when you do assign an itinerary to your booking number. Here you will also pay a $100pp deposit, but it is a non-refundable deposit.

If you book a Grand Suite or higher with either booking, then a double deposit is required and that deposit is determined by the length of the cruise.

To add to the above.........a NC doesn't have to be used for itineraries not yet released.....they can also be used on any cruise currently available.

Sometimes a little more time is needed when deciding on when and where to go and who wants to spend all their time while on a ship looking at brochures.:) A NC just allows you to go home and do your research without all the distractions.

Back in December 2007 I purchased two Next Cruise certificates. I deposited $200 per certificate. I plan on using one of the certificates for a 2012 Alaskan Cruise Tour #15, in a GS. My understanding is these certificates can be combined with balcony discount, stockholder obc, and other discounts if available, or has that changed. Additionally, I will have to put down a larger deposit for staying in a suite. Is the deposit based upon number of days of the cruise or the number of days including the cruise tour. I am so confused now :D.

Back in December 2007 I purchased two Next Cruise certificates. I deposited $200 per certificate. I plan on using one of the certificates for a 2012 Alaskan Cruise Tour #15, in a GS. My understanding is these certificates can be combined with balcony discount, stockholder obc, and other discounts if available, or has that changed. Additionally, I will have to put down a larger deposit for staying in a suite. Is the deposit based upon number of days of the cruise or the number of days including the cruise tour. I am so confused now :D.

You have one of the rare NC bookings yet to activate (we also have one that was purchased in 2007). :)

Yes, you will be able to combine everything when you activate those booking numbers. You must remind whomever you are booking with that these NC bookings were purchased in 2007 and that you are entitled to all benefits that you are eligible for.

The deposit goes by number of nights at sea , so for a 7 night cruise in a GS you will have to deposit $500pp instead of the normal $250pp.

Two questions.

1. Am I right that with a Next Cruise, I only have to specify that I'll be traveling and make one $100 deposit to get the OBC, even though I'll probably end up traveling with hubby and DS? I.e., can I get a placeholder in one person's name, and pay only one deposit, then add others to the reservation when I pick a cruise (and pay deposits for them)?

2. When does a Next Cruise expire, or does it?

Patti, thanks for posting that information!

Two questions.

1. Am I right that with a Next Cruise, I only have to specify that I'll be traveling and make one $100 deposit to get the OBC, even though I'll probably end up traveling with hubby and DS? I.e., can I get a placeholder in one person's name, and pay only one deposit, then add others to the reservation when I pick a cruise (and pay deposits for them)?

2. When does a Next Cruise expire, or does it?

According to somebody's experience posted another thread, if you only book yourself and add your husband & son later, they will have to pay the prevailing rate at the time you add them - so if the price has increased, they'll have to pay the higher price. Others haven't had that experience.

The other risk you run is that, if you wait too long to book a third person, the ship may be "full" (not sold out, but the maximum number of berths sold) and you won't be able to add them. I don't think that would happen with just two people, since the official maximum number of passengers is at double occupancy, but you could run into that by adding a third person.

Next Cruise certificates never expire.

Patti, thanks for posting that information!

According to somebody's experience posted another thread, if you only book yourself and add your husband & son later, they will have to pay the prevailing rate at the time you add them - so if the price has increased, they'll have to pay the higher price. Others haven't had that experience.

The other risk you run is that, if you wait too long to book a third person, the ship may be "full" (not sold out, but the maximum number of berths sold) and you won't be able to add them. I don't think that would happen with just two people, since the official maximum number of passengers is at double occupancy, but you could run into that by adding a third person.

Next Cruise certificates never expire.

A NC is only a placeholder. Once she decides which cruise she wants she will pay the rate at that time for all being booked.

Archived