Taxi SCAM leaving Buenos Aires port

Mariposa3

Anyone whose cruise's final stop is in Buenos Aires needs to know that there is a well-organized taxi scam at the port. It's organized by the taxi drivers union and basically they don't allow any non-union taxis in the area. They charge 30 US dollars, when the actual fare is around 20-30 Argentine pesos. So you're being charged at least four times what you should be. When we heard how expensive the taxis were my husband (we live in Argentina so we knew how badly we were being ripped off) walked over to the next avenue to get another taxi to come and pick up myself, my parents and my 15 month old son. It took him about 40 minutes to do so because the other taxi drivers were literally afraid that they would get beaten up by the union drivers. So what should you do if you're in this situation? Demand that an employee in the port call the Police to report this illegal activity. Or, if you have packed light you could walk to the next avenue and get a taxi.

Hi Mariposa,

Yes, I agree with your sentiments.

I've come across it in other countries too, though I've not felt threatened & I've never considered it linked to unions.

Usually it's because a cartel pays for the rights to operate at ports, and usually it's legal.

Not neccessarily fair, but legal.

They use english-speaking touts, which makes it easy for visitors who are unsure since in many places, including BA, only a small proportion of drivers speak sufficient english.

If I speak a country's language, or I know where I want to go, I do the same as your husband - I walk out to the main road and hail a metered city taxi. And yes, there's a big difference in price!!

John Bull

Anyone whose cruise's final stop is in Buenos Aires needs to know that there is a well-organized taxi scam at the port. It's organized by the taxi drivers union and basically they don't allow any non-union taxis in the area. They charge 30 US dollars, when the actual fare is around 20-30 Argentine pesos. So you're being charged at least four times what you should be. When we heard how expensive the taxis were my husband (we live in Argentina so we knew how badly we were being ripped off) walked over to the next avenue to get another taxi to come and pick up myself, my parents and my 15 month old son. It took him about 40 minutes to do so because the other taxi drivers were literally afraid that they would get beaten up by the union drivers. So what should you do if you're in this situation? Demand that an employee in the port call the Police to report this illegal activity. Or, if you have packed light you could walk to the next avenue and get a taxi.

1. How are you sure this is illegal activity??

2. How is this any different than NYC, LAX, PHX or many other places worldwide??? Medallions/authority for airport/cruise port service are VERY expensive to buy in many cities in the world. Why would any cab allow cabs that were not participating in a union/buying the proper medallion (which generally includes PROOF of insurance and proper licensing) tread on "their territory"? I sure wouldn't if I owned the business.

In NYC, there are "gypsy" cabs-often someone making a few dollars with their family car. NOT licensed to be a cab and commercial insurance is most likely NOT in the mix. BUT they are cheaper-by 1/2 in some places in NYC. Same thing in Cusco and Lima, Peru. I wouldn't think about getting into one of the "gypsy" cabs in Peru (and I spend a fair amount of time there for business). Could end up being an "express" kidnap victim, getting robbed or even worse. I prefer safety to a few dollars and I ALWAYS hire the more expensive taxi from the taxi stand INSIDE the airport.

You want to see a real taxi Mafia-try Poipet, Cambodia at the Cambodia/Thailand border crossing. Not only do you have to deal with the taxi Mafia, but the taxi drivers all have their own tuk-tuk driver to help you across the border, their own visa place, their own hotel. Collusion at its best and can be very costly for the unsuspecting. Getting beat up is NOT unheard of if you choose the wrong cab. Has happened to more than one backpacker.

OP-while you may have paid more than the non union/non medallion cab, I really don't see the problem.

Edited by greatam

The cost of a taxi from the cruise ship terminal may depend on exactly at what pier you disembark. At all port exits/terminals there is a taxi mafia that charges disembarking or simply exiting pax exhorbitant flat fees instead of using the meter as the law requires. Yes, it is illegal not to use the meter if the customer requests. Having special ( licensed) access to passengers exiting the pier or the international airport does not give the cab the right to set flat rates that gouge the tourists.

I exited a couple of times at one terminal that was adjacent to a public street so I could walk 30 meters and hail a street cab. The mafia thugs would not allow him or other non-mafia cabbies to pull into the parking lot, but the distance from the exit doors to the street was only 30 meters so we could walk with our bags to the curb and get in despite the dirty looks the other waiting cabbies gave us. What creeps they are and what creeps the local government and its taxi dept are for allowing this condition to exist (at EZE as well).

On the other hand, the last time I disembarked in BA the terminal was not adjacent to a city street. It was deeper inside the port area and there was no ready access to regular public cabs UNLESS you called a radio cab which I will do next time. A radio cab will arrive in a few minutes and the mobsters will have to allow it to pick you up. If you cannot call a radio cab at this terminal you can expect to pay US$25 (they don't bother to quote prices in pesos) to go from the port to Aeroparque, US$20 to go to a Recoleta or Palermo hotel...when the meter for these trips would be much less than half of these fares.

The tel # for Taxi Premium, one of the largest radio cab cos, is 5238-0000. There are others (Pidalgo, Paris) that can be searched here.

Good luck dealing with this deplorable, uncivilized introduction to BA.

Having special ( licensed) access to passengers exiting the pier or the international airport does not give the cab the right to set flat rates that gouge the tourists.

How is the special licensed access paid for by cabs NOT participating? Example: Cab A charges a flat rate from XXX to YYY. INCLUDED in that rate is the money Cab A has paid for special access PLUS a flat rate for point to point transport. Cab A is recouping business expenses.

Cab B only charges the meter rate but gets to pick up in the special licensed area WITHOUT paying the special access fees???? How is this fair to Cab A???

If you owned Cab A, I am sure Cab B infringing on your "territory" which you paid MONEY to access would result in you being part of the "taxi mafia". Food for thought!!!

How is the special licensed access paid for by cabs NOT participating? Example: Cab A charges a flat rate from XXX to YYY. INCLUDED in that rate is the money Cab A has paid for special access PLUS a flat rate for point to point transport. Cab A is recouping business expenses.

Cab B only charges the meter rate but gets to pick up in the special licensed area WITHOUT paying the special access fees???? How is this fair to Cab A???

If you owned Cab A, I am sure Cab B infringing on your "territory" which you paid MONEY to access would result in you being part of the "taxi mafia". Food for thought!!!

It is my understanding that at EZE only specially licensed cabs are allowed to pick up passengers ...except for radio cabs that have been called by specific passengers (just like private cars that go to pick up their fares). These non-specially licensed cabs are allowed access to pick up their prearranged fare. Same goes for taxis that work those parts of the port that are not accessible by public street.

I would not mind a preset tariff that was reasonable, but the cabs that work the ports and EZE are not reasonable. Moreover, it is my understanding that they are not allowed to set flat rates. The special license is to enable them to accept fares at the metered rate at these locations whereas other cabs are not entitled to do so (unless called).

Is my understanding incorrect?

Edited by pmacher61

It is my understanding that at EZE only specially licensed cabs are allowed to pick up passengers ...except for radio cabs that have been called by specific passengers (just like private cars that go to pick up their fares). These non-specially licensed cabs are allowed access to pick up their prearranged fare. Same goes for taxis that work those parts of the port that are not accessible by public street.

I would not mind a preset tariff that was reasonable, but the cabs that work the ports and EZE are not reasonable. Moreover, it is my understanding that they are not allowed to set flat rates. The special license is to enable them to accept fares at the metered rate at these locations whereas other cabs are not entitled to do so (unless called).

Is my understanding incorrect?

Your understanding about EZE is incorrect. Taxi Ezeiza charges slightly more than a traditional taxi to offset the costs associated with operating out of the airport. The advantage to the customer is there is a record of the driver and car which minimizes the risk of being robbed or assaulted. Unlike the port where taxi service is controlled by a mafia and charges are triple or quadruple the rates of regular taxis, taxi Ezeiza charges a flat fee that is not much more than a metered taxi. The current fare is 150 pesos (4 pesos per dollar) for the 45 minute to one hour ride to town from the airport.

http://www.taxiezeiza.com.ar/

If you are just going into Buenos Aires for the day and later returning to the ship, take the free Stern's bus that drops you off at the Stern's jewelry store adjacent to the Marriott Plaza Hotel at the beginning of the pedestrian Calle Florida. The agent is located in the terminal building and cannot be missed. There is no obligation to go into the store. (This is not an option if you are disembarking and going to the airport.)

From there you can take a taxi to many places, such as Recoletta, for under $5 U.S.

If you are just going into Buenos Aires for the day and later returning to the ship, take the free Stern's bus that drops you off at the Stern's jewelry store adjacent to the Marriott Plaza Hotel at the beginning of the pedestrian Calle Florida. The agent is located in the terminal building and cannot be missed. There is no obligation to go into the store. (This is not an option if you are disembarking and going to the airport.)

From there you can take a taxi to many places, such as Recoletta, for under $5 U.S.

Great idea!! Thanks for the tip.

If you are just going into Buenos Aires for the day and later returning to the ship, take the free Stern's bus that drops you off at the Stern's jewelry store ..snip.. There is no obligation to go into the store.

If you have time DO go into Stern´s shop for a visit (however brief). They are a fabulous jewellers and have some lovely ornamants as well. The Stern shop in Rio, also has a self guided walk thro their workshops (complete with head phones in what ever language you need). You can see diamond grading, stone sutting/setting all sorts of interesting things and then the showroom at the end where the sales staff aren´t pushy.

Sandy in Spain

If you are just going into Buenos Aires for the day and later returning to the ship, take the free Stern's bus that drops you off at the Stern's jewelry store ..snip.. There is no obligation to go into the store.

If you have time DO go into Stern´s shop for a visit (however brief). They are a fabulous jewellers and have some lovely ornamants as well. The Stern shop in Rio, also has a self guided walk thro their workshops (complete with head phones in what ever language you need). You can see diamond grading (plus loads of other gem stones), stone cutting/polishing/setting all sorts of interesting things and then the showroom at the end where the sales staff aren´t pushy.

Sandy in Spain

Your understanding about EZE is incorrect. Taxi Ezeiza charges slightly more than a traditional taxi to offset the costs associated with operating out of the airport. The advantage to the customer is there is a record of the driver and car which minimizes the risk of being robbed or assaulted. Unlike the port where taxi service is controlled by a mafia and charges are triple or quadruple the rates of regular taxis, taxi Ezeiza charges a flat fee that is not much more than a metered taxi. The current fare is 150 pesos (4 pesos per dollar) for the 45 minute to one hour ride to town from the airport.

http://www.taxiezeiza.com.ar/

It appears you misunderstood my question. I was not asking about the fairness of the charges of the Taxi Ezesia company relative to other taxis or remises, e.g., whether or not they were a lot more than the cost of a regular cab to go between EZE and the city. Let's see if I can make myself clear and better pose my assumptions about the right of taxis to set flat fees of any amount.

PORT

First, lets talk about the port cabs. I was asking for confirmation whether, assuming a special license is required to enter the port to pick up the passengers from the ships, such specially licensed cabbies are, ipso facto, allowed to set flat rates - of any amount. The port, like Aeroparque, is within city limits. Cabs from Aeroparque do not charge flat fees. They go by the meter. Dropoffs in the city limits from Aeroparque are just the meter reading. I would be surprised if cabs authorized to work the cruise ship terminal are thus authorized to set flat fees of any amount, fair or unfair. They are required to use the meter. They may not assess a surcharge for dropoffs within the city limits. Can you confirm?

INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT - EZE

Cabs that pick up a fare in the city and make a dropoff outside the city limits are permitted by law to assess a surcharge to the meter price. I am not sure if the reverse is also true. I believe this outside the city limits surcharge is taken into account in the setting of flat fees charged by taxi companies for rides between EZE and town. The standard fixed flat fare of taxi companies I have used including Premium to go between EZE and town is 122.80 pesos including tolls (as of a week ago).

I believe the cabs that are authorized to enter the passenger pick up zone at EZE are not, ipso facto, authorized to set flat rates of any amount other than the amount of 122.80 which appears to be an authorized fixed flat fee. I suspect, but do not know for sure, that they are only entitled to charge the standard flat fee (although many charge a higher price). That is what I sought to confirm.

In other words, taxis may need a special license to enter the passenger zones at both the port and at EZE, but it is my understanding that they are not solely by virtue of this right permitted to charge whatever amount they are able to exact from hapless tourists.

Your comments above concern the fairness of the tariffs charged by Taxi Ezesia which operates within the terminal as a remis company. The price a remis may charge is higher than a cab (but I believe remis prices are also controlled by the local government). I do not dispute that the 150 peso charge for a ride into town ordered at the Taxi Ezesia booth (if that price still holds) is not exhorbitant. However, I do believe that the Taxi Ezesia 35 peso surcharge for a second passenger drop off in town (no matter how close to the other drop) is a rip off.

Edited by pmacher61

If you have time DO go into Stern´s shop for a visit (however brief). They are a fabulous jewellers and have some lovely ornamants as well. The Stern shop in Rio, also has a self guided walk thro their workshops (complete with head phones in what ever language you need). You can see diamond grading (plus loads of other gem stones), stone cutting/polishing/setting all sorts of interesting things and then the showroom at the end where the sales staff aren´t pushy.

Sandy in Spain

Unfortunately, the Stern's in Buenos Aires is very small and they don't have a workshop. However, you do get a little token gift for going in.

It appears you misunderstood my question. I was not asking about the fairness of the charges of the Taxi Ezesia company relative to other taxis or remises, e.g., whether or not they were a lot more than the cost of a regular cab to go between EZE and the city. Let's see if I can make myself clear and better pose my assumptions about the right of taxis to set flat fees of any amount.

PORT

First, lets talk about the port cabs. I was asking for confirmation whether, assuming a special license is required to enter the port to pick up the passengers from the ships, such specially licensed cabbies are, ipso facto, allowed to set flat rates - of any amount.

De facto. They do set flat rates. I know very little about applicable law. This much I do know about Argentina--law is one thing. Practice another. Well placed bribes ensure laws are overlooked. If you are stopped for speeding.....a 10 peso propina to the propina will take care of it....Run afoul of the customs people....again, a propina will ensure you sail right on through rather than being directed to pay import tax on items...this same principle works at the port, including the ferry terminal..sad, but true. As a practical matter, your suggestion to either a. walk to the street and grab a cab or b.phone for a taxi are nice "work arounds." Otherwise, the poor hapless person on a cruise is at the mercy of these mafia thugs.

The port, like Aeroparque, is within city limits. Cabs from Aeroparque do not charge flat fees. They go by the meter. Dropoffs in the city limits from Aeroparque are just the meter reading. I would be surprised if cabs authorized to work the cruise ship terminal are thus authorized to set flat fees of any amount, fair or unfair. They are required to use the meter. They may not assess a surcharge for dropoffs within the city limits. Can you confirm?

Cabs at Aeroparque have their own form of scam. Some of the cabs in the taxi line do not have meters....others do not turn on the meters.....still others have the base fare set at double or triple the legal starting fare....and the meter runs hot...I have had some very bad experiences at the local airport with these types of scams.

INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT - EZE

Cabs that pick up a fare in the city and utside the city limits are permitted by law to assess a surcharge to the meter price. I am not sure if the reverse is also true. I believe this outside the city limits surcharge is taken into account in the setting of flat fees charged by taxi companies for rides between EZE and town. make a dropoff oThe standard fixed flat fare of taxi companies I have used including Premium to go between EZE and town is 122.80 pesos including tolls (as of a week ago).

I believe the cabs that are authorized to enter the passenger pick up zone at EZE are not, ipso facto, authorized to set flat rates of any amount other than the amount of 122.80 which appears to be an authorized fixed flat fee. I suspect, but do not know for sure, that they are only entitled to charge the standard flat fee (although many charge a higher price). That is what I sought to confirm.

In other words, taxis may need a special license to enter the passenger zones at both the port and at EZE, but it is my understanding that they are not solely by virtue of this right permitted to charge whatever amount they are able to exact from hapless tourists.

Your comments above concern the fairness of the tariffs charged by Taxi Ezesia which operates within the terminal as a remis company. The price a remis may charge is higher than a cab (but I believe remis prices are also controlled by the local government). I do not dispute that the 150 peso charge for a ride into town ordered at the Taxi Ezesia booth (if that price still holds) is not exhorbitant. However, I do believe that the Taxi Ezesia 35 peso surcharge for a second passenger drop off in town (no matter how close to the other drop) is a rip off.

Taxi EZE is regulated by the Province of Buenos Aires rather than the City of Buenos Aires. Different rules apply Hence, the blue/white cars vs the black/yellow of cabs from the Capital Federal.

You might be right about city of BA cabs charging a flat rate because the drop off is outside the city limits. I do not know.

All of the companies that operate out of(that is have a booth inside the terminal) EZE are also regulated by the Airport itself. The current range of fares charged by various services at EZE is from 150 pesos to anywhere in downtown BA at Taxi EZE to 190 pesos at Manuel Leon Tienda. Charges at VIP and World Car are in between. In contrast to the port, fares at EZE are posted and uniform.

Fares from town to EZE are typically less than fares from EZE to town. I am not sure I understand why. I just accept it for what it is......

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to be bumping up this old thread from over a year ago.

We are booked on the Regent Mariner, disembarking in Buenos Aires on Friday 20 December.

As part of the whole experience, we were researching options to get from the ship to our hotel and came across this rather alarming thread where it appears there is the potential to be badly ripped off by taxi touts at the BA port.

We were thinking therefore of pre-booking a transfer using goairporttaxi.com - so there is someone there with a sign, and the price is fixed, and prepaid. We DO NOT want to encourage the touts.

Any comments on whether this is a valid approach?