Any binocular recommendations for Alaska

Expo67

When having to carry binocs over a lengthy distance walking, I use a pair of 7 X 30's. Good brands offer more clarity and wider fields of view. Highest quality are from Zeiss, Leitz, Swaroski, while more moderately priced can be obtained from the camera manufactures such as Nikon, Cannon, Pentax, etc.

On board ship and for shore where bulk and weight are not an issue, I use 7 X 50's and 15 x 60mm glasses. The 15 x 60mm glasses require a tripod or monopod support to steady the image.

The first number in the sequence n X n, indicates the power of the binocs, while the second number indicates the diameter of the front glass (objective) of the binocs. Larger diameter of the front glass equals brighter images making focusing easier and permit use in dimmer lighting conditions.

Better quality binocs tend to be water proofed better as well and are ideal for bad weather conditions.

Poor quality binocs tend to cause eye fatigue due to bad optical alignment and inferior optical glass being used.

Try them out before buying as some people have eye issues that might effect choice.

When we went to Alaska last year, I purchased a pair of Zhumell 10x42 short barrel Binoculars for my wife for her to use, she loved them where powerful and compact. They were easy to carry and store in my camera backpack. You won't be disappointed. Here is a link to check they out, also, they are not pricey.

http://www.binoculars.com/binoculars/bird-watching-binoculars/10x42shortbarrelwaterproofbinoculars.cfm

I'd advise going to a large retail store ala Gander Mountain, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shop, etc..., and checking as many varieties as you can. There is a very wide range in quality and price. There is a lot of info available on the web regarding coatings, poro vs roof prism, etc... You generally do get what you pay for, however, I've found a much larger quality jump between entry level and mid-range than mid-range to upper-end and the cost to go from mid-range to uppper-end can be ten fold.

I've got several pairs of Japanese fully-multicoated (Bushnell Legend, Nikon Monarch, etc...) including 10x25, 8x32 and 10x50. While not being quite as bright and detailed as the pricey Euros, I find them to be a good compromise at about $200-$300 (if you shop). The Bushnell Legend 8x32s are my go to glasses whether it's birding, hunting or cruising. I did take the 10x50s (Legend poro) to Alaska last year and they worked out well.

Picture379-1.jpg

I cruise with a pair of Fujinon Polaris but the cost of them makes them prohibitive for a casual user. Something too powerful will pick up the movement of the ship and may even cause motion sickness for some. The marine standard tends to be 7X or 8X and you should find any number of models of this strength at under $100.

I never knew there were so many decisions to be made when buying these. I guess I have my work ahead of me. We have a Bass Pro nearby so I guess I will have to head over there. I am putting together a list with all of your comments to take with me.

Expo, My husband went to Bass Pro Shop and got the Redfield Rebel Binoculars. I ordered my Bushnell fog proof/water proof binoculars from Amazon and got a great deal. They are 10X42. Hope this helps. Happy shopping!

We took 10x and 7x pairs. The 7x were inexpensive ($99) from Dicks Sporting Goods and they did fog up the first time we used them. Luckily, some rain had gotten in them and it resolved by the next morning. It's really important for each of you to have your own pair. :)

When we went to Alaska last year, I purchased a pair of Zhumell 10x42 short barrel Binoculars for my wife for her to use, she loved them where powerful and compact. They were easy to carry and store in my camera backpack. You won't be disappointed. Here is a link to check they out, also, they are not pricey.

http://www.binoculars.com/binoculars/bird-watching-binoculars/10x42shortbarrelwaterproofbinoculars.cfm

Those look super. I have trouble with a long barrel--small hands with a little arthritis.

a waterproof binoculars is a must item for Alaska cruise. We took several pairs with us including Bushnell Elite, zen-ray summit. For our kids, we bought them some VISTA binoculars for around $129, which turned out to be perfect for them

You might also try out Orion.com as this outfit can be trusted for quality and a fine selection at all price ranges. I find premium glasses on Astromart.com You can scan the lists or run an ad. I use to visit the Bushnell factory regularly to help with optical design problems in the 70's before they went bankrupt. Under their new owners, I have seen cost cutting at all levels of levels and at best their optics were only fair to good.

I like the Bass Pro shop, but I tend to end up buying fishing rods, and way to many clothes. They offer hugh discounts on high quality clothing suitable for active excursions in Alaska.

I picked up three pairs of these Kruger Kalahari 8x30s, when Amazon had them for $42 a few days ago, Water/fog proof, nitrogen treated, very light, and long eye relief (important if you wear glasses). Look for Bak4 prisms (that's the highest quality prism that goes in).

http://www.amazon.com/Kruger-Kalahari-Waterproof-Porro-Binocular/dp/B003OCJOB2

Seems like Amazon doesn't have the 8x30 I bought any more though. They only have the more powerful 10x30 (but more expensive): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OCFT7K/

a waterproof binoculars is a must item for Alaska cruise. We took several pairs with us including Bushnell Elite, zen-ray summit. For our kids, we bought them some VISTA binoculars for around $129, which turned out to be perfect for them

we brought a pair of VISTA during our cruise. We ended up with 8x42 because 8x power is easier to handle when doing whale watching on the cruiseship. It also comes with a free monocular. Make sure the binoculars you get is waterproof so you can use outside even if it is drizzling. We did this as an upgrade from our old bushnell binoculars. The VISTA has fully multi-coated lenses. When we took them to our cruise, the VISTA is much brighter than the bushnell binoculars.

I bought a pair of used Bushnell H2O waterproof binoculars off eBay for around $35. It was a great deal and a wonderful set of binoculars. Definitely get waterproof and fogproof! We definitely used those features while being pelted with rain during our Prince William Sound cruise, going through Hubbard Glacier, and during bear viewing while it rained out of Ketchikan!!

Read the detailed review with photos of my Alaska cruise, packing list, and shopping list:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/category/cruises/alaska-2010/

We are very happy with the zen-ray VISTA binoculars we got for our cruise. We were dreadful of using binoculars after some not so pleasant experience with some cheap bushnell binoculars. But this one is different, so much brighter and easier to use. After spending thousands of dollars for our cruise, we don't really want to spend more than $300 for other gears. So this one fits our budget perfectly.

Archived