Just off "SKY" yesterday...

sirdavid

Despite friends advising me not to cruise with NCL....I have and glad I did...will try to give a honest evaluation and review of SKY three day Bahamas cruise November 18 - 21, 2011.

Here is the start of my review:

Just returned from NCL Sky – Three night Bahamas cruise… WOW!!!!

This was my first time aboard a NCL ship and my first experience of “FreeStyle” cruising. I am an experienced 75 year old cruiser. Why did I book a three night Bahamas cruise on the SKY…? I live in SW Florida and friends told me don’t cruise on NCL their “dreadful.” This troubled me somewhat as I had just booked a transatlantic 11 day repositioning cruise next April on the Epic. Good excuse to try a short NCL cruise to check them out for myself. Thus last Friday morning (November 18) found me making the 146 miles drive from Cape Coral to The Port of Miami. Great Stirrup Cay and Nassau here I come. Arriving at the POM in driving rain and gusting winds was not exactly the dream start to the cruise! Parked the car in the multi story parking garage C ($20.00 a night) wheeled our small suitcases across the road to the terminal…all of 200 yards!!! We elected to keep are small suitcases with us rather than check them in. Embarkation was quick and painless. Friendly, smiling NCL staff had us on board in 15 minutes…the only delay in the smooth process was the ritual posed Photo taken of all passengers (often wondered who buys them!!!) At the top of the gangway we were welcomed by a group of happy, smiling dancing crew members.

The Caribbean beat to the music playing, set the welcome aboard tone perfectly… OMG this has the potential to be fun!!!

We were directed to the Captain Cook bar where we left our luggage in a secure and safe environment watched over by another friendly pleasant crew member. Luggage claim ticket in hand we went off in search of lunch…After being directed to the Buffet on deck 11 several times, we persisted and found a relaxing and excellent lunch in The Palace dining room (Thank you Cruise Critics for this tip.) Despite other comments and reviews…We found the service outstanding, friendly professional and nothing we asked for or requested seemed to be any trouble. I was impressed. The food was hot, tasty and the menu selection gave plenty of choice. Most important of all we were made welcome, Oh, how important is service with a smile. One disappointment… where was this bad food NCL served in the MDR? If lunch was any indication, who needs the specialty restaurants complete with cover charge? Lunch was my first encounter with the house wine, a very nice (to my taste) Chardonnay for $5.25. ($6.03 with 15% added) They carry Californian “Tisdale” winery Chardonnay and Merlot as the House Wine. Its available ship wide, but you have to ask for in. They also carry a house Champagne by the glass and bottle (not sure of the cost of a glass but a bottle is $22.00 plus the 15 %.) The house wine and Champagne do not appear on any wine list… You have to request them.

More to come…must unpack!

Wow that’s a lot of years to have been cruising. Great start to your review. It really proves that you can’t listen to everyone else and decide on your own what you like and don’t. You were very fortunate to live close and be able to do a short run to test out for yourself.

Hopefully this will help others who read all the negative stuff and see that not everything you hear or read is fact.

BTW I am one of those people that buy the embarkation photo :D. Actually the reason I buy any photos on the ship or other type vacations, because it is the only proof that I actually went. There is only my DH and myself that vacation together and I take all the photos, needless to say I’m not in any of them.

Looking forward to more.

Wow that’s a lot of years to have been cruising. Great start to your review. It really proves that you can’t listen to everyone else and decide on your own what you like and don’t. You were very fortunate to live close and be able to do a short run to test out for yourself.

Hopefully this will help others who read all the negative stuff and see that not everything you hear or read is fact.

BTW I am one of those people that buy the embarkation photo :D. Actually the reason I buy any photos on the ship or other type vacations, because it is the only proof that I actually went. There is only my DH and myself that vacation together and I take all the photos, needless to say I’m not in any of them.

Looking forward to more.

There is difference between a 75 year cruiser and a 75 year old cruiser, che ;):D (unless of course you are referring to the 1966 cruise in his signature:o).

OP, I too buy the embark photos, I want to cover at least one wall in my house with them:o. Keep the review coming!

There is difference between a 75 year cruiser and a 75 year old cruiser, che ;):D (unless of course you are referring to the 1966 cruise in his signature:o).

Sorry OP I did miss the 75 year "old" :o. I glanced at the signature of starting in the 60's, didn't do the math, and just assumed that was the length of time.

Boy one word can really change the meaning of a sentence :o. Thanks for picking up on that sparks. I guess time to buy new glasses or wait until my eyes are fully awake to read.

Sounds great, sirdavid! We are booked on the 4-night Sky itinerary in February. We'll be sure to have lunch that first day at the Palace! (We really hate buffets!)

Looking forward to hearing more when you get settled in at home. We used to live in Cape Coral, by the way, and LOVED it!

Embarkation and Lunch over lets checkout our cabin. Not only is this my first cruise on NCL, it’s my first cruise without a balcony!!! I started out with a “inside” on deck 7 but upgraded to an “oceanview” on deck 6a… 6a you say, what sort of deck is that. Good question… If you don’t need elevator access is wonderful. It’s located forward of the forward elevator with access by a short stairway port and starboard of the deck 7 forward elevator stop. It’s a small “half deck” sandwiched between deck 6 and 7…very quiet, cabins above and below you… Oceanview and inside cabins only… We did hear the sounds of the anchor being lowered, but not bad or disturbing.

Frankly, the big picture window was great and with the bed split into two singles each side of the window gave us plenty of space. The cabin was small but seemed bigger than it was. The bathroom typical, small but functional and the shower was great with hand held shower head. Adequate hanging space for two on a short cruise (longer might pose a problem) four shallow drawers and a safe with hanging space above completed the closet space. We had a small love seat (converted into a third bed if needed) I think three passengers in this cabin would have to be very good friends!!! A desk, shelves a small CRT TV (no flat screen) served it’s purpose. The small refrigerator was useless and never seemed to get cold.

Frankly, I did not miss the balcony on this short cruise… the price difference bought quite a few “daily” special drinks.

The mandatory lifeboat drill went smoothly… we were not required to carry life jackets with us to our lifeboat station. Again a first for me, we all had to give our cabin number, which was dutifully check off on the “station” list.

5:00 pm and sail away time… The sounds of live music flowed from the poolside party filled the air. Apparently the party not too dampened by the light drizzle and gusty winds.

We skipped the poolside antics headed for the “Champ’s Bar, Deck 12 fwd. two Bahama Mamma’s (those lack of balcony savings at work!) We headed for the little known “Hot Tub” as far forward as you can get on deck 12… great way to see Miami fade behind you. (Again thank you CC for this tip)

Dinner on the first night saw us head for “Crossings” the second of Sky’s main dining rooms. NCL has relaxed what were already relaxed codes allowing shorts in both MDR’s. We found both MDR’s excellent with hot tasty food and very, very good service. At first look, the menu’s appear to be the same in both dinning venues, but beware there are subtle differences… I suggest you check them both when they go on display outside each dining room in mid afternoon.

First night was “lobster” night we had Broiled Lobster and Red Snapper and I believe the other dining room had Broiled Lobster and Grouper. We live as I have said before in SW Florida where grouper and Red Snapper abound… I requested four lobster tails (yes they were not large Maine type tails nor were they as one recent reviewer put it “like shrimp!!!” The lobster was delicious and not rubbery, drawn butter a plenty... I also requested a strip steak cooked medium from the always available side of the menu. Again, this was no problem. The steak was to be honest not the most tender piece of meat I have ever tasted, nor would I expect it to be… but it was cooked to perfection and was very tasty…Much better than “The Denny’s” quality referred to by another reviewer. I guess some people eat “Omaha” quality steak everyday!!! And use that as the yardstick to measure any other steak regardless of cost.

The storm we experienced leaving Miami had grown into much stronger event and the ‘Sky” was rocking and rolling big time… many people were feeling it and heading for free seasickness pills. I admit to not feel the motion at all, but my step-daughter traveling with me really began to suffer as we eat dinner. She decided to retire to the cabin. Another new experience… The wait staff were so concerned they ordered a fresh dinner and dessert and sent it up to our cabin for her. Fabulous service, care and concern… Steve Knott, Hotel Manager and his staff had made a “NCL Believer” out of me and this was only our first evening.

I must say after many cruises this was the roughest ship movement I have ever experienced. But the kindness, the attention and care shown to us on this “quickie” 3 night cruise to the Bahamas helped overcome the hardship.

More to come.

We headed for the little known “Hot Tub” as far forward as you can get on deck 12… great way to see Miami fade behind you. (Again thank you CC for this tip)

At first look, the menu’s appear to be the same in both dinning venues, but beware there are subtle differences… I suggest you check them both when they go on display outside each dining room in mid afternoon.

We found that hottub on the Star and it was nice to not have it most times to ourselves. I never thought of enjoying sailaway there, I'll have to check that out on our next cruise with a quiet hottub.

That is very good to know about the MDRs being a little different. I thought they were always the same (and maybe they were before the new menus this fall)

We sailed the Sky in April. My mom, and 2 sisters and I...we had a great time. Mom is not so steady on her feet anymore and I had concerns of the motion on the ship as she sailed. Needless to say, we had smooth sailing those 4 days, mom said she felt as if she was in a hotel...forgot she was on a ship...lol....

This was my second sailing with NCL and I have another one scheduled for January 2012....I have been very satisfied each time I have sailed with NCL.....the cleanliness, staff, service and food was all up to my standards...I have nothing but praise for NCL for all they do to make your cruise an enjoyable one.

Aloha!

gg

Embarkation and Lunch over lets checkout our cabin. Not only is this my first cruise on NCL, it’s my first cruise without a balcony!!! I started out with a “inside” on deck 7 but upgraded to an “oceanview” on deck 6a… 6a you say, what sort of deck is that. Good question… If you don’t need elevator access is wonderful. It’s located forward of the forward elevator with access by a short stairway port and starboard of the deck 7 forward elevator stop. It’s a small “half deck” sandwiched between deck 6 and 7…very quiet, cabins above and below you… Oceanview and inside cabins only… We did hear the sounds of the anchor being lowered, but not bad or disturbing.

Frankly, the big picture window was great and with the bed split into two singles each side of the window gave us plenty of space. The cabin was small but seemed bigger than it was. The bathroom typical, small but functional and the shower was great with hand held shower head. Adequate hanging space for two on a short cruise (longer might pose a problem) four shallow drawers and a safe with hanging space above completed the closet space. We had a small love seat (converted into a third bed if needed) I think three passengers in this cabin would have to be very good friends!!! A desk, shelves a small CRT TV (no flat screen) served it’s purpose. The small refrigerator was useless and never seemed to get cold.

Frankly, I did not miss the balcony on this short cruise… the price difference bought quite a few “daily” special drinks.

The mandatory lifeboat drill went smoothly… we were not required to carry life jackets with us to our lifeboat station. Again a first for me, we all had to give our cabin number, which was dutifully check off on the “station” list.

5:00 pm and sail away time… The sounds of live music flowed from the poolside party filled the air. Apparently the party not too dampened by the light drizzle and gusty winds.

We skipped the poolside antics headed for the “Champ’s Bar, Deck 12 fwd. two Bahama Mamma’s (those lack of balcony savings at work!) We headed for the little known “Hot Tub” as far forward as you can get on deck 12… great way to see Miami fade behind you. (Again thank you CC for this tip)

Dinner on the first night saw us head for “Crossings” the second of Sky’s main dining rooms. NCL has relaxed what were already relaxed codes allowing shorts in both MDR’s. We found both MDR’s excellent with hot tasty food and very, very good service. At first look, the menu’s appear to be the same in both dinning venues, but beware there are subtle differences… I suggest you check them both when they go on display outside each dining room in mid afternoon.

First night was “lobster” night we had Broiled Lobster and Red Snapper and I believe the other dining room had Broiled Lobster and Grouper. We live as I have said before in SW Florida where grouper and Red Snapper abound… I requested four lobster tails (yes they were not large Maine type tails nor were they as one recent reviewer put it “like shrimp!!!” The lobster was delicious and not rubbery, drawn butter a plenty... I also requested a strip steak cooked medium from the always available side of the menu. Again, this was no problem. The steak was to be honest not the most tender piece of meat I have ever tasted, nor would I expect it to be… but it was cooked to perfection and was very tasty…Much better than “The Denny’s” quality referred to by another reviewer. I guess some people eat “Omaha” quality steak everyday!!! And use that as the yardstick to measure any other steak regardless of cost.

The storm we experienced leaving Miami had grown into much stronger event and the ‘Sky” was rocking and rolling big time… many people were feeling it and heading for free seasickness pills. I admit to not feel the motion at all, but my step-daughter traveling with me really began to suffer as we eat dinner. She decided to retire to the cabin. Another new experience… The wait staff were so concerned they ordered a fresh dinner and dessert and sent it up to our cabin for her. Fabulous service, care and concern… Steve Knott, Hotel Manager and his staff had made a “NCL Believer” out of me and this was only our first evening.

I must say after many cruises this was the roughest ship movement I have ever experienced. But the kindness, the attention and care shown to us on this “quickie” 3 night cruise to the Bahamas helped overcome the hardship.

More to come.

OSLO DECK!!

That's where we stayed when we sailed the Sky and I loved that cruise too.

SO happy you enjoyed your trip and now you can be really excited about your Epic sailing!!!!!!:D

Well I’m all unpacked and all my laundry washed and hanging up….

Back to “Sky”

Day two dawned with some ship movement and very choppy seas, white capes and breaking surf 10 – 20 feet high around the entrance to Great Stirrup Cay… Thinks me “Here comes another sea day” This I became more a certainty as I watched a tender standing off the ship pitching and rolling very severely. Soon the Captain announced that the shore visit was cancelled and we would have a extra day at sea. Within minutes a new “Freestyle Daily” appeared with the new events of the day. I expect this missing GSC is a well practiced exercise by the Cruise Director and his staff as well as other ships departments. (A crew member confided in me that this happen on average about two out of three times!!! A statistic repeated on these CC pages before.) The Palace Dinning room was opened for lunch (don’t know if Crossings was open) MDR’s are normally closed on port days. I had a lazy wonderful day… great excuse to hit the free soft ice cream machine on the pool deck…again, great excuse to enjoy a couple of mimosas, (A Morning Special from 8: 00 am – 11:00 am, all bars. They also do Bloody Marys and Screwdrivers for $4.95!!!) My daughter (Adult) enjoyed the YOGA session added on the new “Daily” I enjoyed a bonus leisurely lunch in the Dinning Room. We both enjoyed the fun “Name this Beatle Song” by entertainer/pianists “Randy” in the Captain Cook Bar… This was a trip down memory lane, and great fun for all.

Stephanie will add her perspective and comments on her first NCL cruise and only her second cruise as a P.S. review. A pair of slacks and a fresh clean polo shirt (I love this “freestyle dressing for dinner!!!) And I was ready to give LaBistro a try. OMG heaven…The best service, super attentive, wonderful menu great atmosphere the long and narrow dimension and the wonderful ambience made me think I was on the Orient Express. The Escargot was good but the Rack of Lamb was to die for… Being an Englishman I love Lamb and I can honestly say this was the BEST lamb I ever tasted…you could cut it with a fork, cooked to perfection as ordered…a request for a different side dish and some mint jelly was handled in record time without any fuss or bother. We had outstanding, professional and attentive service. A meal to remember!!! The only blemish on a perfect evening was a rude comment by a photographer, but he is not NCL staff, just a vendor.

On the subject of food. Let me comment on breakfast in the MDR. … a great way to start the day… The Eggs Benedict were perfect and the individual small pot of coffee was always quietly and efficiently and frequently replaced with a fresh pot. Again any variation on the menu was no trouble and done with a smile.

A lady fellow passenger was heard to say to her husband? “God, I have never experienced such a rude crew.” What planet did she drop in from… I guess some people can never be pleased. In all my travels I have never experienced a more polite, friendly and welcoming crew Officers and Staff than the people of “SKY” on this cruise.

The ship was in outstanding condition with staff always quietly working away in the background to keep her looking her best.

Next morning we awoke in Nassau… I was up early and with a hot cup of coffee from the buffet watch the docking… This ship came to a stop and without any external aid did a 180 degree turn and backed in the berthing place…amazing. Then a few minutes later I watched the “Oasis of the Seas” do the same maneuver and dock right along side us… She towered above us…God is she big. Later on the dock I said to one of her officers “AOS is bigger, but SKY is better” to his credit he just smiled.

I have been in Nassau many times over the years both by sea and air ( I used to be an Airline Sales Manager)… Not one of my favorite ports, therefore on any cruise I spend the day enjoying the ship always nearly empty and fun. This past Sunday was no different…I enjoyed lunch on deck 11 looking out at Atlantis and later standing at the rail looking across at what I still call the “British Colonial Hotel” (I drop Hilton) many years ago sitting on that beach I learned I was transferred to Buffalo NY!!!! Some you win some you lose. My daughter went ashore and enjoyed a snorkeling excursion.

Dinner on the final night was again great. Disembarkation was smooth quick and painless. Minutes after leaving our cabin we had retrieved the car and were on the road heading back to the South West Coast of Florida.

Last Friday I set out on this mini adventure with an open mind, not really knowing what I would find after being told NCL is terrible! After reading endless bad reviews of Sky on CC I was uncertain. If it turned out to be bad I still had time to cancel my Transatlantic 11 day cruise from Miami to Barcelona next April.

I loved it!!! Every minute of it!!! My first experience of freestyle cruising made a believer out of me. Of course there were differences between Cunard and Holland America, Lines I would not hesitate to take again based on itinerary. Carnival…forget it never again, if NCL is available.

Let me end my little review by saying this three day cruise on SKY to the Bahamas was certainly the least expensive cruise I ever made, but ranks among the best if not THE BEST experience I have ever had. Well done NCL.

My booking on EPIC stays firm and I cannot wait. I hope you all have as good a time as I just had the next time you cruise. I will be cruising NCL whenever I can.

I have all the Freestyle Daily's and up to date menus from the MDR, which I will be scanning into the computer and would be happy to email copies of to anyone who would like them.

A very sad P.S. No the 2 for 1 martini special is no longer available in the Plantation Club on a daily basis... only on selected nights to be advised... we were at the Captains cocktail party the night they had them on this cruise, I guess an open bar trumps 2-4-1!!!

Well I guess the old saying "be your own judge", isn't an old saying for no reason.

It's too bad more people wouldn't start something they are unsure of with an open mind like you did. That doesn't mean they are going to like what they try, but at least it is them that likes or dislikes not just what they hear.

Glad you enjoyed your test cruise so much, happy sailing in the future.

Thanks again for the review.

Great review!

We sailed the Sky for the second time in 2 years in October, and she is still one of our favorites. The crew is awesome and the ship sparkles. Also, of all the NCL ships we have been on, the Sky casino is the best. We were lucky enough to make the private island, the previous 3 cruises all missed it.

Thank you for an excellent review. You said disembarkation was painless? What time did you get off of the ship? I'm trying to figure out if a 10:45 am flight out of Miami would work. I think because the Sky is scheduled to arrive at 7:00 it should be okay...

We'll be on the Sky 4-nighter in January - first time in a suite. Could you please scan the dailies and mdr menus and post them? I'm not sure if there will be differences on the 4 nighter, or just the same with the extra night added. Also, I am wondering how refunds are handled if you book an excursion on Great Stirrup Cay and it's cancelled. Now that you have to pay in advance, I am curious.

Thanks

Thank you for an excellent review. You said disembarkation was painless? What time did you get off of the ship? I'm trying to figure out if a 10:45 am flight out of Miami would work. I think because the Sky is scheduled to arrive at 7:00 it should be okay...

You should be fine, just do the self carry off. We caught a 12:00 flight from FLL with almost 2 hours to spare. MIA is only about 10 mins or so from the port.

Thanks so much for the review. FYI about the "forward" hot tub though; that one is for the children. There are four hot tubs which are adults-only and they are located where the swimming pool is. Don't get me wrong; that would be an awesome place to be while the ship sets sail but still...

More to come.

We had a cabin on the same deck -- 6A, the Oslo Deck! The Sky is great!

Re refunds on GSC excursions when the ship does not dock... I think the Shore Excursion desk on Deck 5 was issuing refunds. Maybe someone can give you a more definitive answer.

I am aware that that wonderful hot tub is shown on deck plans as "for children" I never saw children alone in it and everyone was having fun...99% of the time it was empty....I do no recall seeing a sign that said children only. a question where common sense should rule.

As for the question what did my friends say about NCL.... They had bad cruises...bad food rude staff and poor service....none of which I experienced. It takes all kinds to make a world.

Archived