Collapsible storage bins

Happy Cruiser 6143

We've had several discussions about collapsible storage bins to use in the over-the-bed cabinets on the S class.

The other day I was in Staples and found Closet Maid fabric drawers for $6.99. They come in many colors & the dimensions were 10.5 inches square X 11" high, so they would fit in the cabinets--actually, you could get 4 of them in according to the dimensions we've been furnished. Just thought I would pass that on for anyone who is interested.

This is a fabulous idea for making the above the bed shelf more functional! Found them today at Target. 2 for $12.99. Thanks for your helpful suggestion.

First-time cruisers on the Solstice-class ships need to know that there is almost no functional storage space in the cabins - just a few open shelves.

We've had several discussions about collapsible storage bins to use in the over-the-bed cabinets on the S class.

The other day I was in Staples and found Closet Maid fabric drawers for $6.99. They come in many colors & the dimensions were 10.5 inches square X 11" high, so they would fit in the cabinets--actually, you could get 4 of them in according to the dimensions we've been furnished. Just thought I would pass that on for anyone who is interested.

Just curious as to how heavy they are?

I think it's a great idea....as long as they aren't too cumbersome to bring along in the suitcase?

Just curious as to how heavy they are?

I think it's a great idea....as long as they aren't too cumbersome to bring along in the suitcase?

They're not heavy. Made of cardboard and covered with some sort of lightweight fabric. They collapse flat. I just tuck them in the outside pocket of my suitcase.

darn that would of been great. I usually travel with Dh and he doesn't need much drawer space. This time he has to work and I am travelling with my Aunt who will no doubt need some drawers. I remember from the Eclipse there is only about 4 small ones. I do have some zip up plastic bags that some bed sheets came in, maybe I could put some things in them and tuck them up there. I still have 8 weeks before our Silhouette cruise to figure something out. Thanks for the heads up.

The overhead storage is too high for me.

I put my folded clothes in plastic bags and stack them in a corner, and we put the life jackets in the overhead storage to use the basket for our clothes and misc.

When driving to port, we pack extra equip. in a cheap suitcase, usually picked up at a yard sale. We leave the cheap suitcase behind.

Maris

Thanks for this Linda. This way I might be able to use the overhead bins w/o standing on the dang bed!

You're welcome. It's nice that they have handles on the side so you can just grab those and pull them down. Otherwise I too would find that space unusable even though I'm not particularly vertically challenged. :D

This is a fabulous idea for making the above the bed shelf more functional! Found them today at Target. 2 for $12.99. Thanks for your helpful suggestion.

First-time cruisers on the Solstice-class ships need to know that there is almost no functional storage space in the cabins - just a few open shelves.

I got some at Target too. Lots of colors for $6.99. The 2/$12.99 is basic neutral colors. Fine for the purpose and saves cash. :-D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First S Class cruise coming up in April. Can you explain further what I might use these for? I'm having a hard time envisioning how I'm going to explain to my DH that we're going to have to pre-ship furniture to the ship. :p (ok, slight exaggeration)

These are flat collapsible bins with handles on the side. Open on top. Used for the overhead storage over the bed that so many have complained about being inaccessible. Read at the beginning of the thread. OP explained them well. :-)

These are flat collapsible bins with handles on the side. Open on top. Used for the overhead storage over the bed that so many have complained about being inaccessible. Read at the beginning of the thread. OP explained them well. :-)

I read the entire thread and I know what they look like. But WHY would I need to use them? Why do they make the overhead storage any more accessible? Sorry, without seeing the cabin in person, it's hard to envision. Still seems like you have to get up on the bed to get to this storage area, from they way it was described.

Just asking.

I read the entire thread and I know what they look like. But WHY would I need to use them? Why do they make the overhead storage any more accessible? Sorry, without seeing the cabin in person, it's hard to envision. Still seems like you have to get up on the bed to get to this storage area, from they way it was described.

Just asking.

You don't NEED to use them. In my view, it made that storage space usable vs. not usable. And, no, you don't need to get up on the bed to access those storage bins.

There are tons of pictures of these cabins with the overhead storage on these boards. I, for one, was grateful to have done my research prior to getting on an S class ship and therefore coming prepared with my collapsible storage bins. YMMV.

You're right - sometimes a picture IS worth a thousand words. Guess I just wasn't paying particular attention to drawer space (or lack thereof) as it's never been an issue on a ship I've been on previously (not that I've been on all that many and most have been in suites). I will, however, share your info with the rest of my roll call who might be interested in this helpful hint. Thanks. :)

You don't NEED to use them. In my view, it made that storage space usable vs. not usable. And, no, you don't need to get up on the bed to access those storage bins.

There are tons of pictures of these cabins with the overhead storage on these boards. I, for one, was grateful to have done my research prior to getting on an S class ship and therefore coming prepared with my collapsible storage bins. YMMV.

Thanks for articulating what I apparently failed to do. :-)

HI ZELKER,

Perhaps a bit of BACKGROUNDER will help with this topic...

I went on my first Celebrity Cruise in January on the Solstice.

Prior to my cruise I read a lot of posts here on the CC CELEBRITY BOARD where Cruisers said they LOVED the S-Class Ships (Solstice - Equinox - Eclipse - Silhouette... and soon to be launched Reflection).

BUT they hated the lack of good storage space.

So before I went on the cruise, I decided I would pack along a tape measure and check it all out and report back for other Cruisers looking to go on one of Celebrity's S-Class Ships.

And so that begat this topic entitled *Celebrity Solstice Storage (S-Class Ships)* = http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1560620

If you check out that topic you'll find a ton of great photos and of course all the measurements you'll ever need to figure how it all works (or doesn't depending on your point of view)

In my case, I found we had plenty of space... but then again it was only a 7 Night Cruise and there were only 2 of us in the Cabin.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

We had a veranda cabin on the Silhouette and the storage for a 12-day cruise was totally insufficient. I can't believe you spend so much money for a cruise and you have to carry on storage accessories just to be able to store your clothing, etc. Who designed these cabins???

An advisory panel of, I believe, 5 women who apparently don't wear a lot of clothes or ever set anything on a nightstand but who do shave their legs. :D

Archived