Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines

Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals.

Write a Carnival Review

NEW! Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call

Old March 4th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default tipping the shuttle driver

If you park & then take a shuttle to the port, what do you usually tip the driver? Is it so much per bag (like you would the porter?)

Also while I'm asking, if someone in the debarkation area takes a family member by wheelchair to a better place in line & possibly even onto the ship, what would you usually tip them. Had that happen once, since my mom is elderly & uses a cane. Forgot what we gave them.

Old March 4th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

If the shuttle driver helps load and unload your bags he'd rate $3-5 if it won't break your budget. Wheelchair assistance should be even more appreciated although I'd base the tip on the distance travelled. Tipping is strictly personal preference and is a token of your appreciation.

Old March 4th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

We tip shuttle drivers $1 per bag. For the wheelchair guess I'd go with what pp said, depends on how far they take you, $3-$5???

Carnival Liberty 10/2013 Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas. San Juan, Grand Turk; Carnival Valor 02/2012 St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, Nassau; Carnival Legend 11/2010 Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan, Cozumel; Carnival Pride 07/2006 Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Cabo San Lucas; Carnival Liberty 01/2006 Freeport, Grand Cayman, Montego Bay

Old March 4th, 2012, 01:36 PM
5,000+ Club

yeah i usually tip $1.00 per bag. I always make sure to have a few $1.00 bills available. I get them out on the ride to the port so I'm not fumbling with my wallet at the port

Nordic Empress - January 2004
Carnival Valor - March 2005
Carnival Destiny - January 2006
Carnival Celebration - March 2007
Carnival Victory - April 2008
Carnival Pride - May 2009
Carnival Elation - March 2011
Carnival Legend - December 2011
Carnival Fantasy - March 2012
Carnival Ecstasy - December 2012
Carnival Sensation - December 2012
Carnival Freedom - March 3, 2013
Carnival Imagination - December 2, 2013
Carnival Sunshine - December 8, 2013

Carnival Dream - April 5, 2014
Carnival Pride - July 27, 2014

Future Cruises

Carnival Dream - December 7, 2014

Old March 4th, 2012, 02:07 PM
5,000+ Club

We usually tip the Shuttle Driver $5.00-depending on how far it is to the Port, how many bags, etc.

Carnivale-1990
Sovereign-2000
Enchantment-2001
Grand Princess-2004
Golden Princess-2005
Caribbean Princess-2006
Caribbean Princess-2007
Carnival Spirit Cruise Oct 2008
Holland-Westerdam Oct 2009
Carnival Dream- Sept 2010 "Best Friends Reunion Cruise"
Oasis of the Seas- Sept 2011
Carnival Conquest-Splendored Spirits 10-28-12
Oasis of the Seas- Sept 2013
Independence of the Seas- Sept 2015

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 4th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Has anyone else noticed that when you do tip the shuttle driver, porter or excursion person, they never look at it. They just stick it in their pocket and thank you. I'm not saying that because they don't look at it, you shouldn't give them what they deserve. It's just that I noticed that they never look at it.
Carnival Destiny 02-28-99
Carnival Victory 02-24-01
Carnival Conquest 02-09-03
Carnival Glory 02-19-05
Adventure of the Seas 03-09-08 (Never Again )
Carnival Dream 02-19-2011
Carnival Freedom 02-23-2013 (Best One Yet)

Old March 4th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

always try to tip 3 or 5 bucks.. Just dont make the same mistake i did on our 1st cruise nobody warned me about the porters at miami begging for tips.. When The shuttle driver dropped us off The porter who took my bags said "take care of me now and ill take care of your bags." I asked what.. He held out his hand for money.. I didnt have any 1 5 or 10.. That porter came out with a 20... I now carry lots of small cash for tips in all ports... Because taxi shuttle tour operators will always ask for tip

Old March 4th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I always start out with a lot of $1s as you are tipping every time you turn around - I only tip shuttle driver if he helps with the luggage, if he doesn't - too bad so sad. The taxi driver gets 15% plus extra if he loads and unload luggage. Porter usually $5 as they have always come forward right away to take luggage. I find with cruising almost a 1/4 of your budget is tips - but worth every penny.

Old March 4th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Are you allowed to take your own bags to your cabin or is this not the done thing?

Old March 4th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWolver672 View Post
Has anyone else noticed that when you do tip the shuttle driver, porter or excursion person, they never look at it. They just stick it in their pocket and thank you. I'm not saying that because they don't look at it, you shouldn't give them what they deserve. It's just that I noticed that they never look at it.
Any one that gets extra pay for something they already getting paid for and is a non-tip position will most likely take the money and hide it fast.

Old March 4th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vols_159 View Post
always try to tip 3 or 5 bucks.. Just dont make the same mistake i did on our 1st cruise nobody warned me about the porters at miami begging for tips.. When The shuttle driver dropped us off The porter who took my bags said "take care of me now and ill take care of your bags." I asked what.. He held out his hand for money.. I didnt have any 1 5 or 10.. That porter came out with a 20... I now carry lots of small cash for tips in all ports... Because taxi shuttle tour operators will always ask for tip
AT that point, I would have asked for the supervisor. They do not get tips, they are longshoreman. Tipping is just nice, but any employee that implies your bags will be lost need to find a new job.

Old March 4th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddingtonbear View Post
Are you allowed to take your own bags to your cabin or is this not the done thing?
You are only allowed to take on a carryon and must fit through the scanner. Also, you must lug it around with you until you are allowed in the cabin - usually around 1:30 or so. The cabin doors are left open while the stewards are getting them ready for next round of cruisers and they KINDLY tell you not to go to cabin before then.

Old March 4th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default We

Always tip $1.00 per bag at the port, airport, shuttle. I make sure before we leave I go to the bank and get $200 worth of singles. That way we never run out plus so many things require tips...like room service on the ship. Things on the island etc.
Norwegian Gem 1/2011 [1-day cruise]
Carnival Pride 8/2010
Carnival Miracle 6/2010
Carnival Pride 5/2009
Carnival Liberty 8/2008
Carnival Triumph 8/2007
Carnival Elation 10/2006
Carnival Imagination 8/2006
Carnival Valor 10/2005
Carnival Fascination 8/2003
Carnival Fantasy 8/2002

Old March 4th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the info - I like to be prepared & be within the same range as most people.

With the wheelchair situation, this was an actual carnival employee who was there to help people - I figured he deserved a tip but again wasn't sure how much. I guess I'll see if this happens again & then kind of gage things based on the distance, etc. This gives me an idea though.

Old March 4th, 2012, 06:50 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4spring View Post
If you park & then take a shuttle to the port, what do you usually tip the driver? Is it so much per bag (like you would the porter?)

Also while I'm asking, if someone in the debarkation area takes a family member by wheelchair to a better place in line & possibly even onto the ship, what would you usually tip them. Had that happen once, since my mom is elderly & uses a cane. Forgot what we gave them.
Many folks cheap out here and it is embarassing to see. If The driver helps at all I'll tip at least $3, $2/bag if he/she carries bags on or off ($5 min).
For personal assistance like the wheelchair $10 - 20 seems appropriate if any distance at all.

Last edited by blue_water; March 4th, 2012 at 06:57 PM.

Old March 4th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_water View Post
$5 min, $20 respectively. No time to be cheap, $1/bag is ancient...
Ain't cheap - ain't ancient - don't have to be the big time tipper - if they don't like it give it back and will give it to someone who will appreciate it.

Old March 4th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

We generally tip $5. We usually have two larger pieces of luggage that the driver handles for us.

Now on the cruise I took with my Mom there was one shuttle driver I didn't tip at all. We stayed at the Westin Hotel, inside the Detroit airport. The shuttle took us to the terminal. I said "good morning" to him, he didn't respond. He didn't help us with our luggage putting it onto the shuttle (there were racks inside the shuttle) and he didn't help us getting the luggage off the shuttle so I didn't bother tipping him, he did nothing to deserve it. Plus I broke a wheel off my Mom's luggage as it was quite heavy to lift off the rack.

Carnival Conquest 1/13 - Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Freedom 1/12 - Eastern Caribbean
RCI Monarch of the Seas 1/11 - Bahamas
RCI Mariner of the Seas 10/08 - Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Glory 1/08 - Western Caribbean
RCI Mariner of the Seas 1/06 - Western Caribbean
Disney Wonder 1/04 - Bahamas
Carnival Fantasy 1/03 - Bahamas
Disney Magic 1/03 - Western Caribbean
Disney Magic 1/01 - Eastern Caribbean

Old March 4th, 2012, 07:25 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbay-eh View Post
Ain't cheap - ain't ancient - don't have to be the big time tipper - if they don't like it give it back and will give it to someone who will appreciate it.
?
Aah, I see the initial reply was posted before I corrected it. Still don't get your point though...

Last edited by blue_water; March 4th, 2012 at 07:28 PM.

Old March 4th, 2012, 07:27 PM
5,000+ Club

100% agree Yvonne!

Old March 4th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_water View Post
?
Aah, I see the initial reply was posted before I corrected it. Still don't get your point though...
I don't get what you don't get - thought I was quite clear. Whether people give $1-$5-$10 and even $20 it is their choice - a tip is a tip. And anything above $0 is not cheap or ancient it is what they want to give.