Alaska Fiction Books?

Eppiela

I like to read fiction (or some non-fiction biographies) about places I'm traveling to. Does anyone else do this? Do you have any titles to recommend about Alaska?

I found some John Muir stories (non-fiction) about his trips to Alaska, and one of his about the dog Stickeen (for Kindle).

There's also Gary Paulsen's Dogsong.

I'd even enjoy romance, mystery, whatever--with Alaska as a setting.

A few recommendations:

Call of the Wild and White Fang by Jack London

Good Time Girls of the Alaska-Yukon Gold Rush: Secret History of the Far North by Lael Morgan

Songs of a Sourdough by Robert Service

Sue Henry's mystery series--with a dose of romance--are excellent. Reading Pierre Berton's non-fiction but reads like fiction book on the gold rush in the Klondike at the moment. I read about areas that I visit too.

The Klondike Fever: The life and death of the last great gold rush by Pierre. Berton (1958)

Death Takes Passage (Alaska Mysteries) by Sue Henry (Aug 1, 1998)--good if you are visiting Skagway.

If You Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name: News from Small-Town Alaska by Heather Lende (Paperback - Mar 29, 2006)--on my shelf!

I really enjoyed "Alaska" by James Michener. Although fiction, it was a very interesting history of Alaska.

Tom

I just received this book from Amazon! Very excited to start reading it! Should I read the book before the cruise or during?

I just received this book from Amazon! Very excited to start reading it! Should I read the book before the cruise or during?

My print version is quite hefty so it's not one I would travel with in that format. I like books that I can drop off along the way.:)

I have been reading Dana Stabenow's mystery series. She has two series, the Kate Shugak and the Liam Campbell series. Both are set in Alaska with a lot of native culture and are very good. I am starting to get a much better picture of the countryside, the politics, and the culture. She is a well-known author from Anchorage.

Sue Henry's mystery series--with a dose of romance--are excellent. Reading Pierre Berton's non-fiction but reads like fiction book on the gold rush in the Klondike at the moment. I read about areas that I visit too.

The Klondike Fever: The life and death of the last great gold rush by Pierre. Berton (1958)

Death Takes Passage (Alaska Mysteries) by Sue Henry (Aug 1, 1998)--good if you are visiting Skagway.

If You Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name: News from Small-Town Alaska by Heather Lende (Paperback - Mar 29, 2006)--on my shelf!

I agree with your choices! I have just finished every one of the Sue Henry series I can get on my Nook and think Death Takes a Passage is probably the best for cruisers. Sue Henry has two main characters in her books -- Jessie Arnold, who is a musher, and Maxie (and Stretch, her dog), a retired woman, who lives in Homer and travels with Stretch in an RV.

I also loved If You Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name. It made me want to visit Haines.

A very good factual book about the search through the Yukon for Jack London's cabin is Dick North's Sailor on Snowshoes. Dick North is a newspaperman and his story of his adventures is fascinating reading. We actually met Dick North at the reconstruction of the cabin in Dawson City a few years ago. Two cabins were reconstructed from parts of the original cabin, one is in Dawson City and the other is in Oakland, CA. He has another book The Mad Trapper of Rat River (another author has a similar title) Dick's book is undoubtedly well researched and good reading.

Have really enjoyed anything about Alaska but love Dana Stabenow's writings and characters. Also, there's an old book, I forget the title, something like "I Heard the Owl Call My Name" that may be set up there.

I need to check out some of her books. The Pierre Berton one is engrossing especially as my great-uncle-to-be was prospecting in the Yukon in 1898.

Ooh! There's already some very good books on this list!

Gary Paulsen is one of my favorites and since the Ididarot just started this weekend, consider his 'Winterdance'.

I also love Highliners - a book about the commercial fishing industry...

Krakauer's "Into the Wild" - a fascinating story that they turned into a movie.

And The Reader's Companion to Alaska - which introduces you to some of the classics of Alaskan literature

Just to name a few! Enjoy!

I read Michener's "Alaska" when it was first published and was appalled by the incredible historical inaccuracies. Michener and his researchers spent quite a bit of time in Sitka, working out of the Sheldon Jackson College, and also were working in the Alaska and Polar Regions Department of the Rasmuson Library at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. After reading the book my first thought was why did they even bother. For example, the Russian era is incorrect, the statehood movement is incorrect, they misunderstood Inupiat culture -- the list just goes on and on. While I realize it is a piece of fiction, someone who is not familiar with Alaska history will not realize what is incorrect.

Both Sue Henry and Dana Stabenow are Alaskans and their portrayal of life in our state is accurate.

Lael Morgan's book "Good Time Girls" is an interesting history of prostitution in Alaska with a large portion focusing on Fairbanks. I was on the host committee for the annual Alaska Historical Society meeting in Fairbanks in the early 1990s. The book was not yet published, and we asked her to be one of our luncheon speakers (Lael is a great public speaker). She had forewarned us that some people were finding the topic squeamish. During her presentation the host committee was seated on an elevated platform looking out at the AHS membership. It was clear that some members were having some problems with the topic, and several people actually left the room.

I read Michener's "Alaska" when it was first published and was appalled by the incredible historical inaccuracies. Michener and his researchers spent quite a bit of time in Sitka, working out of the Sheldon Jackson College, and also were working in the Alaska and Polar Regions Department of the Rasmuson Library at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. After reading the book my first thought was why did they even bother. For example, the Russian era is incorrect, the statehood movement is incorrect, they misunderstood Inupiat culture -- the list just goes on and on. While I realize it is a piece of fiction, someone who is not familiar with Alaska history will not realize what is incorrect.

Plus one for you, Northern Aurora. I got the beat down for mentioning my feelings on the Michener book and after getting my fingers singed stepped back.

So, some of my suggestions -

The Klondike Fever, Berton. Classic. Helps put Skagway in perspective

Working on the Edge, Spike Walker. Do you like Deadliest Catch? This was written when it was a derby fishery rather than a quota fishery, it's much safer now.

oh, really anything by Spike Walker

The End of the Road, As Far as You Can Go Without A Passport, Tom Bodett. Yes, the same from the Motel whatever and Wait Wait. He was building houses in Petersburg when i arrived in the state.

Coming Into the Country, John McPhee. 1976 and we have oil money shooting out everywhere. A good "let's go out and talk to people all over Alaska". You'll get a peak at how our politics developed. It's fun, not encyclopedic.

The Sea Runners, Ivan Doig. Four Swedes escaping from Russian New Archangel (psst... today it is called Sitka)

Two Old Women, Velma Wallis. It isn't southeast, but it is Alaska

Wow!! That Ulu's Sharp, Stubbie Johnson. It might be out of print.

Edited by bottom-dragger

Have really enjoyed anything about Alaska but love Dana Stabenow's writings and characters. Also, there's an old book, I forget the title, something like "I Heard the Owl Call My Name" that may be set up there.

Any of the Kate Shugak or Alaska State Trooper Campbell (my old outfit) by Dana Stabenow are considered classics in this household. Very accurate descriptions of living in Alaska. Sue Henry's Murder on the Iditarod Trail (which is going on right now) and Murder on the Yukon Quest are also good.

Both Sue Henry and Dana Stabenow are Alaskans and their portrayal of life in our state is accurate.

Lael Morgan's book "Good Time Girls" is an interesting history of prostitution in Alaska with a large portion focusing on Fairbanks. I was on the host committee for the annual Alaska Historical Society meeting in Fairbanks in the early 1990s. The book was not yet published, and we asked her to be one of our luncheon speakers (Lael is a great public speaker). She had forewarned us that some people were finding the topic squeamish. During her presentation the host committee was seated on an elevated platform looking out at the AHS membership. It was clear that some members were having some problems with the topic, and several people actually left the room.

I prefer non-fiction but for fiction I enjoy the Yukon Jack stories and the cookbook (and history book) written by his late widow Ruth Allman, Alaska Sourdough.

We were in a state of shock when Michener's Alaska came out as he made his victory tour around Alaska.

I have downloaded many books by Alaskans about Alaska for my Kindle and many are free or cheap.

On my Kindle I paid a lot of money for an ebook of Judge Wickersham's Old Yukon. The Judge was Ruth Allman's uncle. Real history of Alaska. I have an old print copy but it has tiny print and is way too heavy to carry around....and too precious.

I'll read anything put out by Alaska Geographic.

John McPhee's "Coming into the Country" is an excellent suggestion for a visitor to read. If I remember correctly the Eagle Historical Society actually had him back in Eagle a number of years ago -- it was the first time he had returned to that area since the book was published.

And any book by Pierre Berton is wonderful. I love "Klondike Fever." His mother Laura Beatrice Berton also wrote a great book titled "I Married the Klondike."

The University of Alaska Press has been actively re-publishing classic Alaskana, and one they re-published was Judge Wickersham's book "Old Yukon." I also have an old copy I found in a used book store in Washington. It was a thrilling find because it is a signed copy in great condition. The Alaska State Library has actually transcribed his diaries and they are available on-line.

Another fun book is "Ten Thousand Miles with a Dog Sled" by the Episcopal archdeacon Hudson Stuck. In the early 1900s Stuck ranged all through northern Alaska in order to visit the church missions and parishes.

I second the Spike Walker books, by gosh he writes in a way that you just keep turning the pages to see the outcome was good or not, I wished the books were longer!

I really did enjoy those books, which were hard to come by in Australia.

Greetings, everyone!

I read a book about 10 years ago, and can't remember the name. I'd like to find it again, so hopefully someone will recognize my description and will know the title.

It's a fictional, epic story about the life of a Klingit woman pre and post Russia. That's about all I remember, unfortunately.

Any ideas, anyone????

Thanks!

I'm sorry, a lot of books of fiction do not contain accurate HISTORICAL information. Michener's Hawaii isn't exactly accurate either. A lot of authors don't even try to be accurate. I find Michener's books very well written (whether accurate or not).

I read for entertainment, not HISTORY. If you want accuracy, read a History Book, and a lot of times, they aren't accurate either.

The OP has a great list of books to check out. I did pick-up "Call of the Wild" at a small outpost in Alaska. And I purchased Jeff King's "Cold Hands, Warm Heart" about the running of the Iditarod while I was in Alaska too.

I'm sorry, a lot of books of fiction do not contain accurate HISTORICAL information. Michener's Hawaii isn't exactly accurate either. A lot of authors don't even try to be accurate. I find Michener's books very well written (whether accurate or not).

I read for entertainment, not HISTORY. If you want accuracy, read a History Book, and a lot of times, they aren't accurate either.

I quite agree. I'm a Michener fan and have read the vast majority of his books. He has a unique ability, in my opinion, to weave fascinating stories and characters around a geographical and historical backdrop. These books are fiction and certainly I would not argue there are instances in all of his novels where actual history might conflict with his account of events. However, as with most things, history itself is subject to interpretation depending upon your point of view.

But Michener's books are wonderful reads if you enjoy good storytelling and sweeping historical settings. They leave you with a wonderful sense of place and time and I thoroughly enjoy them.

This is in no way meant to be argumentative or critical of those who don't care for his books as everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just thought I would offer another point of view.