Through the Siq to Petra

vakamalua

We will be going to Petra in April and wanted some advice on the hike through the Siq. I understand it is about 2.5 miles each way.

Are there are sites along the way to see (and catch your breath)?

Is it relatively flat?

Are you walking on rock or sand?

Would you recommend hiking boots?

Is there a lot of climbing to sites once through the Siq?

Thanks

As the above poster says, it's not 2.5 miles each way. I think my guide said 1.5 miles. The path is mostly rock (in fact, you are walking part of the way on the ancient roadbed) and flat, as shown here:

P1030978.JPG

There are a few benches along the way where you can sit, as shown near the bottom left in this photo:

P1030972.JPG

You can also ride part of the way on horseback if desired (but only until you get to the siq); also, there are buggies that will take you ALL the way through the siq. Having watched them, it looks like a pretty bumpy ride and you miss all the sights along the path. I'd definitely vote for walking it, if at all possible.

One of the best parts about the walk is the dramatic moment when you can just start to see the Treasury where the siq widens out:

P1040044.JPG

Anyway, once you get to this area, there are indeed places where you can do some clambering up and down, including going inside this theatre:

P1040019.JPG

If you have enough time, there are paths that allow you to go up to the top of the canyon, where there are more sights to see; however, a lot of tours do not provide you enough time to do this.

I believe it is more like a mile and a quarter each way.

There are rocks you can sit on to take a break.

Yes, it is mainly flat.

Rock.

I just wore sneakers and was fine.

No, not a lot of climbing in Petra..

I'd say the siq is even less, Paul.

After the level path from the entrance to the siq (horses on this bit if you're prepared to pay, but its only a 5 to 10 min walk) its mebbe 3/4 of a mile from the top to the treasury, about 15-20 minutes. Longer coming back up.

It's downhill to the Treasury, with a gradient varying from moderate to medium.

Smooth hard surface, easy on the feet.

A few minor things to see on the way down, but a fresh-water channel cut into the rock all the way down at waist level.

The treasury (khazneh) is the start of Petra, where the siq widens into a flat valley floor, but from here the ground is very rough & stoney, and its here that decently strong shoes would make sense, though hiking boots aren't neccessary.

Most sights are spread over a further 1/2 mile or so, from the amphitheatre (just beyond the treasury) to the colonnaded shopping street.

The monastry is rather further & isolated, & there are some tombs & buildings cut into the valley wall - these involve a severe climb up the side of the valley. But most folk are content to wander the valley floor as far as the shopping street. Plenty of visitors don't even go further than the treasury, but still rate it worthwhile.

Two-wheel horse-drawn buggies, carrying 2 passengers, go up & down the siq as far as the treasury. Folk are happy to walk down - the buggies mainly go down empty, so you could barter a ride for no more than a couple of dollars. It's coming back up where they make their money -barter about $15 pp if things are quiet, expect to pay $25 or more if there's high demand.

Only pedestrians & buggies go up & down the siq.

There are camels just beyond the siq, purely for the novelty, not for transport. Don't be tempted by invitations to sit on one "for free, no charge". You will be charged.

There are also horses to be bartered at this point, can be ridden to the shopping street, or even to the monastry.

Petra can be cold, even if its hot at Aqaba. Take a jacket on the coach - at Petra you can decide whether to leave it on the coach.

Cold drinks and a rough-and-ready cafe of sorts after the treasury, and a few stalls. And toilets :eek:

Cheap, USD or Euros or sterling preferred, take plenty of ones.

JB :)

Edit: Cynthia's photos say a lot more than words

Here is a description of a cruise ship's tour that I may be taking in November that along with the already posted pictures may answer some of your questions:

Created by the Nabateans, Arab Bedouin tribes who came from Arabia almost 2,000 years ago, the fortress like city of Petra

became an important and very rich stronghold by protecting passing caravans. Called the rose red city half as old as time, Petra

was lost to the world for centuries, hidden in the mountains of southern Jordan.

In 106 A.D. the city fell to the Romans providing the setting for one of the most unique cities ever built. They added a triumphant

arc, markets, baths, temples, shops and houses to the existing Nabatean tombs and monuments by cutting into the rock of the

surrounding cliffs creating an unparalleled masterpiece of sculpted art out of a living city.

When the splendor of the Roman period passed the Bedouin took over once again. In 1812 a young Swiss explorer re-discovered

Petra and it suddenly became known to the world, becoming the setting for Stephen Spielberg's movie "Indiana Jones and the Last

Crusade.

The ride from Aqaba takes approximately 2 hrs. Upon arrival, a short walk will bring you to the entrance of the "Siq", a very narrow,

descending ancient river bed winding its way through the gorge for approximately 3 kilometers. Towering walls of rock reach 300

feet high and at the final turn, out of the gloom appears the brilliance of Petra's Treasury, 140 feet high, 90 feet wide and carved out

of solid rock. Continue beyond the Treasury and marvel at the towering temples, royal tombs, carved Roman theatre, burial

chambers, paved streets, large and small houses and public buildings.

Return the same way to the tourist centre at the parking area where the coaches are waiting and proceed to a leading hotel of the

area where a buffet lunch will be served for your enjoyment.

After lunch, limited time for souvenir shopping at the stalls will be allocated before you commence the return drive to Aqaba.

Note: The ride from Aqaba takes approximately 2 hrs. Coaches are toilet equipped. There are toilet facilities at the visitor's centre at

the coach park. Guests must be able to walk approximately 1.2 miles over uneven and gravel terrain. The initial 10 minute walk to

the "Siq" is a gentle descent on reasonably even terrain. Although there are horses available at the entrance and can be used to

transport people ONLY from the ticket gate to the entrance of the "Siq", they are not recommended. The tour includes long periods

of standing. Comfortable walking shoes and natural fiber clothing highly recommended. Sunscreen, sunglasses and hats are

recommended. Bottled water is advisable. Sequence of tour may change to avoid over crowding at venues.

Thanks! The detailed information and pictures are really helpful. I guess I misunderstood the distance as being one way rather than RT.

We are really looking forward to this trip that includes four days in Jordan and seven in Egypt (not a cruise this time, except for three days on the Nile). Any other information or tips would be greatly appreciated.

thank you cruisemom42 for the great description with pictures. your post and others description ...it helped to give me an idea of how much I could do walking wise etc.....walking in and around no problem..but I might want to "bargain" for a ride out! :p...I will work on upping my walking regular waling route to 2 miles.....we go in May.. I want to figure out how to insert pics like cruisemom42 has done....This info has really helped me for our May visit...Thank you all! Cruisy susy

I was looking at my travel notes for Petra and found this link -- I looked at it several times before going and it was helpful:

http://nabataea.net/walk.html

Cruisy Susy: I'm not highly technical, but I think the only way to insert the larger sized photos (like mine) is to post them first to an online photo album like shutterfly or picasa. Then you can just cut and paste them here. At least, that's how I do it!

Cynthia, John; thank you for Petra pix and Petra hike word descriptions--helpful. We look forward to doing the hike in 20 days. Cruisemom42, thanks also for the Petra hike link. We plan to watch Lawrence of Arabia to help whet our travel appetites this weekend. We use photobucket to insert pix in some of our posts by first clicking on quick reply icon, next click on insert link icon (looks like globe on the top template of icons/after you click on quick reply) above, cut & paste the IMG code from your online photo album site, hit reply and pix will be embedded with your post. Pls see cruisecritic thread on Test posts to practice:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1098834&page=6

We plan to watch Lawrence of Arabia to help whet our travel appetites this weekend.

If your ship schedule gives you an extra half-day at Aqaba, you can travel out to Wadi Rum & Lawrence's "Seven Pillars of Wisdom". The road broadly follows the railway line attacked by Lawrence.

From Wadi Rum you can take a 4x4 with driver out into the desert for a couple of hours - Bedouin tented village etc.

Simplest by ship's excursion if offered, but can be done by taxi from Aqaba & pick up a 4x4 at Wadi Rum.

Just back from Petra. It is between 1-1/2 and 2 miles one way, depending on where you have to start walking. We were staying at the Movenpik right near the entrance, so we walked over past some shops to the entrance. This is about 1/4 mile moderately uphill. Once inside the entrance, it's another 1/4 to 1/2 mile (moderately downhill) to the start of the siq. The siq then runs 3/4 - 1 mile flat or moderately downhill to the Treasury. (Note the reverse will be uphill when you're leaving!) Our guide did a really nice job springing the view on us....stopping us to examine some element of wall, then backing us across the siq and turning to the view of the Treasury!

Once inside, you can walk as little or as much as you feel inspired to investigate. There are several climbs (to the Place of High Sacrifice and the Monastery and others) that are also interesting and scenic and look down on the valleys below. It's actually quite a large place. There's even a little 'town' area inside with restaurants.

It's a fabulous place. We loved it. Standing in front of the Treasury actually made me laugh and then cry with the wonder of it and being there to see it in person.

• 2 weeks later...
What would be your suggestion on a person with limited walking ability, and I plan on having a wheelchair available?

Bear in mind my memories of Petra are 3 years old, and walking difficulties/wheelchairs weren't in my mind.

So don't decide just on my say-so, see what others say too.

But I'm not sure it would work out.

The bus parking area is close to the entrance building (2 mins) & the ground is paved & easy.

From there to the top of the siq (5 to 10 mins?) is pretty level but a little stoney - not easy but I think navigable pulling a wheelchair.

The siq is an easy downhill on a good surface (about 15 to 20 mins?) and ends at the most spectacular building, the treasury, which is carved into the rock.

At this point the valley opens out, the ground is pretty level, but the surface is very stoney & a wheelchair would be hard work. I doubt you'd get far, but you can see a great deal from near the treasury & as an earlier post this is as far as many folk are happy to wander.

Coming back up the siq, I don't know whether you'd be able to climb into/out of the two-wheeled horse-drawn buggy. This carries 2 people, not sure about a folded wheelchair. Pushing a wheelchaired person up the siq would be very tiring - its not desperately steep but its long & would need a very fit person, preferably two taking turns. They might get a little help from time to time from others walking up.

You also need to consider the strength of the wheelchair. I'd happily drag wheeled luggage up & down the siq but I'd quickly wreck it on the stoney part beyond the treasury.

If Petra is on your bucket-list & you have strong help, then go for it. You'll have plenty of time.

But if its not a high priority, I'd be very very dubious whether its worth the long day & the complications. Especially if you don't have strong help.

I don't recall seeing any wheelchairs.

See what others think, esp those accustomed to wheelchairs

Like JB, I am doubtful that a wheelchair would work to well. Where you would be riding is 2000 years old or so. Lots of rocks and uneven surfaces. If you cannot wolk it, there are horse drawn carts that will take you thru the siq, to the treausry and back. At the treasuary, there are camels that will take you thru the ancient city. There is a charge for both.

We also did not see any wheelchairs. We did see some people walking very slowly with walking sticks.

If you can get into a cart with help, that would be something to do. I would imagine you'd only be able to do a couple of hours for the tour so you wouldn't have to get out for biological needs. But that would still get you through the siq and to the Treasury, and maybe even down to the Roman temple ruins.

Bear in mind Petra is an expensive visit (I think it was 50 or 60 dinar, which is around $90 U.S.) I think it's worth it, even for just a couple of hours, but you should be aware.

What would be your suggestion on a person with limited walking ability, and I plan on having a wheelchair available?

we were there in November, and this is definetly not a wheelchair friendly place. the walk is on ancient Roman cobblestones, sand, dust, gravel, etc. it is downhill going in, but you have to watch where you put your feet as it's easy to turn an ankle. it's not an easy stroll. coming back out is harder, because if your guide is worth his stuff, you'll have taken 2 to 3 hours to get down to the treasury. there's a lot to see thru the siq. we hope to spend 2 or 3 days there in the future. it's incredible!

Thanks for the advice and comments.

I've continued to do some research and I believe that Petra is free to visit for the disabled but yes there is no way to get around in a wheelchair.

Free for disabled: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/1c3b62/#ixzz1pXinUoNj

I'll plan for it not to be free as I'm not sure if that information is current and consider sending my parents down to the treasury in a carriage. I'll try to negotiate the price down but I'll leave the wheelchair in the rental car.

I've been walking every 3 miles every 3 days. I did it on Monday with an extra 10 lbs weight in a knapsack.

For lunch I plan on going here as I made reservations online and it was well reviewed:

Sun City Restaurant

http://www.suncityrest.com/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g318895-d1548071-Reviews-Sun_City_Restaurant-Petra_Wadi_Musa_Ma_in_Governorate.html

Located at the main tourist street and only 3 minute walk from the main gate to Petra

The Restaurant is a part of a (complex) building which provides several tourist facilities: souvenir shops, colored sand bottling

08:00 - 11:00 Breakfast, 12:30 - 16:00 lunch (A La Carte or buffet for groups), 18:00-23:00 Dinner Buffet

Salad Buffet JD 6.000, Lunch Buffet JD 12.000, Dinner Buffet 16.000

- CWipes

20 Dinar was the rate when I was there in January for the Buggy. There is a sign at the start where you buy your entrance ticket. That is just to get you there and back from the Treasury. Tip is extra. If you want to hire the buggy further down then you need to negotiate with the driver.

Opening hours

The ancient site of Petra and its Visitor Center are open to visitors on a daily basis from 6am to 6pm during the summer and 6am to 4pm in the winter. The Visitor Center sells tickets, arranges for guides and provides information and help to visitors.

Tickets

Entry into the site of Petra is only permitted to visitors holding valid tickets. These are available at the Visitor Center and can be purchased on arrival. Prices differ for foreigners and locals and a range of ticket types are available depending on the length of stay and number of visits to be made into Petra.

1. Fees for the accommodated visitor: Visitor who stays at least one night in Jordan.

Entrance Ticket

One Day 50 (J.D)

Two Days 55 (J.D)

Three days 60 (J.D)

2. Fees for non-accommodated visitor: Visitor who is not having over night in Jordan

Entrance Ticket (90JD)

Note:

- Tickets are available only by cash & Jordanian Dinars(Credit cards not accepted).

Source: http://www.petrapark.com/visitor-center

Another good site about Petra - http://visitpetra.jo/Default.aspx

• 1 month later...

So just a follow up on the Petra visit.

I did rent a car from Avis in Aqaba however their location is not where they say it is on the avis web site as it's NOT at the Golden Tulip Hotel and their hours of operation are not 8:00am but more like 8:45am(ish).

The car that I got was the car with the Avis Chauffeur logo on the side and it was a nice ride but they did give it to me dead empty on gas "the low fuel light was on and the DTE was 0" and they told me to drive to the nearest gas station and only put octane 95 in it which was a total rip off. They did not reimburse me for the gas nor give me any kind of discount.

The drive to petra was easy from Aqaba. The only thing is that there were speed bumps in the highway. I didn't pay attention to the first 2 sets but then noticed the warning signs as well as the signs for the rest of the journey. There are clear signs in english on where to make the turns to get to Petra.

Shortly after leaving aqaba, there is also a "checkpoint" where the guards are friendly and you can verify you are going int he correct direction. They just want to see your drivers license and ship card if you don't have your passport with you.

The ride took about 1hr and 45 minutes, and was very scenic but as long as you folow the sings you should be fine. every now and then you'll pass a group of tour buses to let you know you're going in the right direction.

Upon arriving to Petra. Regarding the wheelchair and the carriages at Petra. I brought along my handicapped parking permit for my father who was in a wheelchair. I showed the permit to the guards near the information center hen I pulled up so they let me park on the street as close as possible to the information center/ticket booths for free. After unloading the wheelchair I brought him to the bathrooms and then to the gate totally missing the ticket window, but I was able to confirm with the guards at the gate that since my father was in a wheelchair there would be no charge to enter Petra. This was not written anywhere. By the way, when ever you use a bathroom in Egypt there is usually an attendant that expects a tip so remember to bring along a roll of quarters. A quarter should suffice as the tip. I was giving 1 USD but for 3 people. So after leaving the rest of my party of 4 at the gate I went back to buy 4 tickets (1 comp) from the ticket trailer and then back to the gate.

Once beyond the gate (about 20 meters) we came upon the mule wagon area. There is a guy there that takes your reservation and asks what time you'd like to return. No negotiation it's a flat $35. If you are with someone who has difficulty walking you should pay attention to this part. You will have some difficulty getting a wagon from the Treasury back up as most wagons are reserved for a specific time, but drivers can also be bought just before they get to the treasury if you are willing to pay. It's an under the table thing. I found this out later as my parents waited for 45 minutes for the 3:00 reservation. Apparently their driver took someone else up (for an under the table fee) on his way to pick them up which was why he was so late. There is also a guy at the treasury who "manages" the wagon situation so you ride back up on the same number wagon that you rode down on so remember the number of the wagon you rode down on.

There is plenty to see beyond the treasury and it's hard to do in under 4 hours but keep in mind it's easier to walk down and you still need to walk up from the treasury and that walk up is a killer.

The drive back was also simple. I was able to drive to the ship and drop my passengers off right at the gate after showing the guards at the port the handicapped parking permit.

This place was also ideal for using 2 way radios to communicate.

The car return to avis was a little unusual as they prefer cash as opposed to charging my credit card. I didn't have the sufficient jordanian on me so I gave them currencies in USD, Jordanian and Dinares from the United arab Emirates, but I'm still bitter about not getting a discount for returning the car with more gas then what I started with.

They did drive me to the free shuttle location which was in the city center back to the cruise ship. There were also several cabs waiting there in the morning to take people to Petra.

Hope you've found this information helpful.

- CWipes

Archived