Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Regent Seven Seas Cruises
Read Luxury Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you!

Old March 27th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelG View Post
Plenty of opportunities to eat caviar if that is your thing. Every Sunday breakfast is caviar and champagne. The captain's reception, plus several other times throughout the cruise.
Well see even more Free errr Included stuff

Old March 27th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Not convinced Regent is more expensive, or at least not worth bothering about. I'm taking my first cruise (on Mariner) in a couple of weeks time, esentially as a surprise for my other half (she won't know anything about it until we get to the dock at Istanbul).

I did a lot of research and sums before booking with Regent and from what I could work out, by the time you add on the cost of a room with a view, what you'll spend on drink, air fares, speciality restaurants, gratuities, whatever, Regent looks like a pretty good deal.

Anyway, Regent, Silversea and similar are the only options open to me as I don't want to spend my holiday in a floating theme park. Regent's floating boutique hotel looks much nicer!

R

Last edited by Swyre; March 27th, 2012 at 02:25 PM.

Old March 27th, 2012, 02:28 PM
5,000+ Club

Swyre, What a great surprise, and what a lucky wife! How are you going to get her to Istanbul though without her suspecting something?

Old March 27th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Swyre, my husband had the exact same thoughts...no floating theme park for him, and after much calculating, research, blood, sweat and tears, we booked. We loved both cruises we've taken on Regent and are looking forward to booking another one soon. Hope you have a wonderful time!

Old March 27th, 2012, 02:58 PM
10,000+ Club

I cannot imagine a better surprise. Even if she thinks you are spending a week in Istanbul. . . . . that is fabulous too

Itineraries Sailed: Alaska (2 sailings) / Baltics / Barcelona – Dubai / Cape Town – Rio / E. & W. Caribbean (3 sailings) / Ft. Lauderdale – Lima / Istanbul-Venice / London-Monte Carlo / Miami – Barcelona / Mumbai – Bali / New York-Southampton / Rome to Lisbon / Singapore to Sydney / Stockholm - Copenhagen / Tahiti / Venice-Rome / Vancouver-Tokyo

Upcoming cruises: / Miami to Miami - 14 nights - Riviera / Rio to Barcelona - 18 nights - Mariner / Cape Town to Cape Town - 15 nights - Mariner / Explorer - 2016

Old March 27th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

As RachelG said "caviar is included". Many a times for breakfast or as appetizer in Compass Room. Yes, nothing is free but once you paid for it, you feel is free because there are no checks to sign. I have crunched numbers and compared cruises I'm interested in with other cruise lines. Yes, I usually end up paying $1,000 or so more. However, to me is all worth it. For example, we booked the 16 day Asia cruise for next March. I looked at Oceania, Silversea and regular (not luxury) lines. I crunched the numbers and Regent was a much better deal. I am upgrading to business class for $1500/pp. Regular coach fare is over $12,000 and business around $18,000. If I add that to a regular line ($10,000 or so for a balcony cabin) and then drinks, tours, and a 3 day pre-cruise or post cruise tour Regent is throwing in, I'm better off with Regent. I know the service will be superb and I won't be with over 1,000 passengers. So yes, I'm also a Four Seasons kind of gal. That said, I only hope Regent stops raising fares so much. I think having an increase several times a year is a bit much. But, for the time being is Regent. Even DH loves Regent and goes along when I tell him how much the cruise will be. I apologize I've become too wordy.

Old March 27th, 2012, 07:24 PM
10,000+ Club

Wow, that's quite a surprise. Hope you can convince her to bring the kinds of clothing that she might want to wear on a cruise, without tipping her off to the surprise! (I know what I would wear for a week in Istanbul is quite different from what I like to wear on a cruise ship in the Med.)
Radisson Diamond June, 2004
Regent Voyager, June '06, Dec. '07, Dec. '09, Dec. 2010

Old March 27th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swyre View Post
Not convinced Regent is more expensive, or at least not worth bothering about. I'm taking my first cruise (on Mariner) in a couple of weeks time, esentially as a surprise for my other half (she won't know anything about it until we get to the dock at Istanbul).

I did a lot of research and sums before booking with Regent and from what I could work out, by the time you add on the cost of a room with a view, what you'll spend on drink, air fares, speciality restaurants, gratuities, whatever, Regent looks like a pretty good deal.

Anyway, Regent, Silversea and similar are the only options open to me as I don't want to spend my holiday in a floating theme park. Regent's floating boutique hotel looks much nicer!

R
Wow I am so impressed we have a "New to Regent" cruiser who already gets it...by the time you put all the components together Regent in many cases is an excellent deal! Which is also why we have not cruised Oceania as I just can't make the numbers work
Welcome to Regent and you must be a keeper if Regent is the surprise!

Old March 28th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Not that difficult for me to keep the secret because (actually) cruising (probably) isn't really my thing as I'm an outdoor person who would rather be in a tent for a week or sitting on a horse but I'm getting excited anyway! As it happens, other than for ski trips (not much snow in London) I've only been out of the UK twice for holidays in my fifty seven years and associate aeroplanes with work.

Sally (my other half) knows it's a four hour flight from London but not her destination other than it's likely to be warmer than the UK so she's worked out she's probably going to the Mediteranean but not exactly where. She has postulated that we may be going on a cruise but without actually denying the facts, I've pointed out to her that cruises leave from Southampton and we're leaving from Heathrow.....

All she knows for sure is that we're staying at a hotel in Feltham (a particularly nasty part of London but next to the airport) the first night of our holiday. We're spending the night before the cruise in Istanbul and I simply won't tell her what's happening the following day. Maybe I'll be able to see Mariner from the hotel tho'. When we get to the docks I'll tell her we're going on a ferry which is (sort of) true.

As regards clothes, I'm not that sure what to wear myself but I've told Sally to "think tea at Claridges" in the evening and "comfortable" during the day. I get the impression tho' that people aren't all that bothered what you wear as long as you don't put your feet on the table (which we won't).

Actually Regent's business plan is quite clever. As I've paid "up front" a few months ago and have forgotten about the cost, by the time I get on the ship the holiday will appear to be free so I won't mind paying for a bottle (or several) of premium wines. If it was "pay as you go," I'd probably consider them too expensive.

R

Last edited by Swyre; March 28th, 2012 at 03:00 PM.

Old March 28th, 2012, 03:06 PM
5,000+ Club

Swyre, you must be the UK version of my husband. He is 58, and would rather be sitting on a horse or out hiking in the wilderness than anything else. But I dragged him kicking and screaming on a Regent (then Radisson) cruise 10 years ago, and he has been hooked ever since. Now he is the one trying to convince all his friends to come with us. Since you "get it" as far as the business plan, I suspect you will be hooked also.

Old March 28th, 2012, 04:58 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swyre View Post
As regards clothes, I'm not that sure what to wear myself but I've told Sally to "think tea at Claridges" in the evening and "comfortable" during the day. I get the impression tho' that people aren't all that bothered what you wear as long as you don't put your feet on the table (which we won't).
I have a pretty good idea what tea at Claridges might be like these days, although I have never been there myself, but perhaps that's a good approximation of "resort casual". That means she'll bring some jewellery and perhaps a couple pairs of shoes that aren't meant for walking. Sounds like you'll be good to go. I can't vouch for weather in Istanbul in April, but the Med. should be very nice, with any luck. I guess rain is possible, but being from the U.K., you're probably always ready for that!

What a lovely surprise for her.
Radisson Diamond June, 2004
Regent Voyager, June '06, Dec. '07, Dec. '09, Dec. 2010

Old March 28th, 2012, 05:30 PM
5,000+ Club

We were in Istanbul first week of April last year, and every day except one for the week we were there was kind of cold and damp. Last day before we left turned warm and sunny.

Old March 28th, 2012, 06:22 PM
10,000+ Club

We arrive in Istanbul April 19th and depart on the Voyager the 23rd. The average high temperature in April is 61F with a low of 46F (8C). By May it will be around 70F during the day.

Old March 28th, 2012, 08:28 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelcat2 View Post
We arrive in Istanbul April 19th and depart on the Voyager the 23rd. The average high temperature in April is 61F with a low of 46F (8C). By May it will be around 70F during the day.
That sounds exactly like what we experienced.

Old March 29th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

A co-worker told me about Regent, and how everything was all inclusive. After doing some research on the cruise line and looking at their pricing, I thought there is no way DH is going to go for this, for that matter, neither am I. We were already planning a cruise and knew we wanted to go to Europe, but after looking at some of those airline prices….whew!! To my surprise he said let’s go for it (Regent). We have been on several cruises mainly RCCL, and considering excursions, a drink here and there, specialty restaurants, a drink here and drink there (did I say that already), and not to mention airfare, we totally think it’s worth it. Granted we will not be able to go until 2014, but we are going. First time to Europe and first time on Regent. Cruising on RCCL with 4000 or more and going on Regent with 700, maaaannn, I don’t know if I’ll know how to act. But I do know I will not put my feet on the tables.

Old March 29th, 2012, 12:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

So I've never been on a regent cruise and I of course have looked at them and yes before any one gets hasty.... Can afford one as well. My question, I've been to country clubs and all the swanky spots that the rich endorse but one thing I can say, I like to have fun, I like the type of fun that if I make a fool of myself in karaoke every one will laugh and be merry. Am I assuming in saying that Regent cruises cater more to the rich that look down on the people who cannot afford $4-10000 per person? Everyone that I have spoken to regarding Regent have all stated that most regent cruisers do not like to affiliate themselves with what they consider "lower class" cruisers which is why I am sure the Carnival knock by one of the posters was made. If this is the case and if that is how regent cruisers function.... Then maybe Regent may not be the one for me. I think most people who would pay that kind of money just to say someone served me a drink better or rolled my covers down better doesn't make me better. In fact, I think some people just pay for this kind of cruise so they can associate themselves with the rich when in fact it's not really in their budgets.

Carnival Fascination July 1999
Carnival Destiny August 2003
Carnival Triumph March 2004
RCL Empress of the Seas April2006
Carnival Victory July 2010 Engagement Cruise!!
Carnival Legend July 2011
Carnival Liberty June 2012 Wedding Cruise!!

Old March 29th, 2012, 12:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

I guess Ill be the fly in the ointment.

To me, Regent isn't worth the money. Radisson was, Regent not so much. You can start with the asinine single supplement and go from there. Yes, Regent is "all inclusive" but, what's included isn't what it used to be. Food and service are both down (eg:caviar used to be an ask and receive gratis option, not the current special brunch option further breakfast in CR didn't used take 1 hour for some eggs and toast), neither seems to be recovering. They should pay you if you go on any of their excursions (free or otherwise - they don't vet their tours now it seems) and the line seems to be run by a duo who couldn't successfully lead an army of ants to a picnic.

Old March 29th, 2012, 03:46 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMiss View Post
So I've never been on a regent cruise and I of course have looked at them and yes before any one gets hasty.... Can afford one as well. My question, I've been to country clubs and all the swanky spots that the rich endorse but one thing I can say, I like to have fun, I like the type of fun that if I make a fool of myself in karaoke every one will laugh and be merry. Am I assuming in saying that Regent cruises cater more to the rich that look down on the people who cannot afford $4-10000 per person? Everyone that I have spoken to regarding Regent have all stated that most regent cruisers do not like to affiliate themselves with what they consider "lower class" cruisers which is why I am sure the Carnival knock by one of the posters was made. If this is the case and if that is how regent cruisers function.... Then maybe Regent may not be the one for me. I think most people who would pay that kind of money just to say someone served me a drink better or rolled my covers down better doesn't make me better. In fact, I think some people just pay for this kind of cruise so they can associate themselves with the rich when in fact it's not really in their budgets.
Very interesting post and perspective! IMO, Regent passengers are definitely not the type to look down on people -- no matter what the reason. I do feel that Regent passengers might be a bit more sedate (not talking age) than passengers on non-luxury lines. Luxury ships are 1,000 passengers or less. They do not have climbing walls, slides into the swimming pool, malls, etc. They do have karaoke and passengers like to enjoy themselves.

For some reason, it is so easy to pick on Carnival. I have done it myself. It isn't done because Regent cruisers think they are better than Carnival cruisers. When people who typically sail on mainstream cruise lines think of changing to luxury lines, we try to tell them the differences. In addition to what I mentioned above, there is no music at the swimming pool (except for the occasional live band during an event) -- it is very quiet and relaxing. There are also almost no children on Regent (unless school is not in session and Regent has Club Mariner for them).

When you are on a Regent ship you would have no way of knowing how wealthy a person is (or not). Most of the conversations onboard have to do with traveling -- many times discussing the touring you did that day or will be doing the next day. No one cares how much money you have.

The thing I like most about sailing on luxury lines is the lack of "classes". Everyone is treated the same -- whether you are in the least or most expensive cabin. I cannot understand who you would have spoken with that thinks Regent passengers look down at the "lower class". What is lower class anyway? I probabaly would look down at someone who put their bare feet on the table.. . but it has nothing to do with how much money they have

Itineraries Sailed: Alaska (2 sailings) / Baltics / Barcelona – Dubai / Cape Town – Rio / E. & W. Caribbean (3 sailings) / Ft. Lauderdale – Lima / Istanbul-Venice / London-Monte Carlo / Miami – Barcelona / Mumbai – Bali / New York-Southampton / Rome to Lisbon / Singapore to Sydney / Stockholm - Copenhagen / Tahiti / Venice-Rome / Vancouver-Tokyo

Upcoming cruises: / Miami to Miami - 14 nights - Riviera / Rio to Barcelona - 18 nights - Mariner / Cape Town to Cape Town - 15 nights - Mariner / Explorer - 2016

Old March 29th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

LittleMiss--We have met some of the most down to earth, friendly, fun-loving people on Regent. Yes, of course, some people can be stuffy or pretentious, but you'll find that anywhere. My husband and I can't afford to cruise Regent every year, but we gladly forgo cruising/vacationing elsewhere in order to book Regent when we have saved up enough for it. They are that worth it, trust me!

As others have pointed out, nobody cares which suite category you're in. The staff is wonderful and the service is top-notch.

Now I need to go check my savings account balance to see how much closer we are to booking our next Regent cruise......

Old March 29th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Well it's good to hear that there are down to earth individuals on Regent, I may give them a try in the near future as I do love luxury but just cannot handle all of the snobby attitudes that can come along with it. Thanks for the clearer insight

Carnival Fascination July 1999
Carnival Destiny August 2003
Carnival Triumph March 2004
RCL Empress of the Seas April2006
Carnival Victory July 2010 Engagement Cruise!!
Carnival Legend July 2011
Carnival Liberty June 2012 Wedding Cruise!!