Is Regent worth the extra $$$$?

LindaM

The size of the ship is closer to Oceania than it is Princess or Celebrity.

Depends on which Princess ship it is - Ocean Princess - one of the old R ships - has some nice looking Asian itineraries. It's our love of those Princess R ships that has me looking at Oceania, Azamara, and possibly Regent - we love the small ships.

Depends on which Princess ship it is - Ocean Princess - one of the old R ships - has some nice looking Asian itineraries. It's our love of those Princess R ships that has me looking at Oceania, Azamara, and possibly Regent - we love the small ships.

Have you considered HAL's Prinsendam? She has only 800 passengers. She was once a Royal Viking ship, so she was built for longer voyages. We found her service/food to be better than the typical HAL ship, and not to far off from Regent. Because she is their premium ship, it is more expensive to sail her. Her itineraries are amazing. We are sailing Ocean Princess in Sept in the Med.

Have you considered HAL's Prinsendam? She has only 800 passengers. She was once a Royal Viking ship, so she was built for longer voyages. We found her service/food to be better than the typical HAL ship, and not to far off from Regent. Because she is their premium ship, it is more expensive to sail her. Her itineraries are amazing. We are sailing Ocean Princess in Sept in the Med.

Yes, we've looked at Prinsendam - there are many itineraries we love. We can't really take longer than 12 days right now (given some travel/land time on either end too) and many of Prinsendam's itineraries are longer. But it's definitely in the running:D Our next cruise will likely be Northern Europe and Prinsendam does have some that would be the right length/ports. Problem is we probably won't do a cruise again until 2014 because of other travel planned. Ah well, I keep checking out options in case there's something too good to pass up!

Why would you consider anything other than Regent? We are booked on the 16 day Asian cruise March 2013. It includes a free pre-cruise or post-cruise package and yes air fare. I upgraded to business class (over 20 hours in coach is a bit much) for $3000/pp rt. The business class fare if I were to book it myself is $14,000-18,000 depending on airline. There is no way I can find business class fares for $6,000 for two of us. Yes, I'm probably paying $1,000-2,000 more with Regent but is all worth it. Regent does everything with class. I looked at HAL, Princess, Silversea (came second), and Oceania. Regent (in my opinion) had the better deal. Have a great cruise with whatever line you choose.

Thank you for you're balanced review. I also agree that Regents is a fantastic fit but not on port intensive voyages at least for us. Getting on a bus every day for a three hour bus ride to spend 30 minutes at a sight is not my idea of experiencing a new location. I love walking and exploring on my own so spending all that extra dollars upfront for excursions I won't use is rather silly. If we could opt out of free excursions, I know I would pick Regents all the time.

Not all ports demand 30 minute bus rides, surely.

No, but just getting on the bus and having to tour can sometimes be a pain. There are so many ports, especially in Europe where some of my best memories are just exploring on our own. If the tours are included, I would feel like I HAD to take them most of the time.

We have been to Europe on land vacations and will be going there on Regent in two weeks. I have been quite outspoken in the past about "included" excursions. I'm a strong believer that Regent passengers should have the right to opt out (for a credit of some type).

Since the excursions are there, we are trying some 1/2 day included excursions as well as a couple that we are paying for. It should be interesting to learn exactly what these included excursions are like as they are so different -- depending upon where you are in the world. The best we have had was in the Middle East. . . ., the worst in South America. Wish we could have opted out of European excursions. However, tonight I'm looking forward to booking excursions for our Mumbai to Bali cruise as we prefer being with a group in some of the ports. There just doesn't seem to be a "set" answer to how excursions are. Some are truly wonderful and some aren't worth the time or effort we put forth to get on and off the bus with too many other passengers.

In spite of paying for excursions that we either do not want or are poor quality, Regent is definitely worth the price for us.

Thank you Travelcat...you explained my feelings on the subject well. We're booked in 2013 for the Panama Canal voyage and on that specific cruise my husband and I will probably feel safer with a group with all the problems in Mexico. Also, we have several sea days to break the tours up. Hopefully Regents will give us the option in the future because I absolutely love the Regents product.

never having been to Europe - I'm looking forward to having someone show me around the first time -- will do Rome on our own but our daughter has been there and sending us with lots of info --

Rome is indeed Roma Aeterna, "Rome The Eternal City". There is so much to do and see in Rome that you should prioritize what you wish to see and plan accordingly. It is an amazing city. Not sure what your tour options will be but if there is just a bus drop off at, say Piazza Venezia or some other place nearby, that is a good jumping off point to explore on your own.

Rome is indeed Roma Aeterna, "Rome The Eternal City". There is so much to do and see in Rome that you should prioritize what you wish to see and plan accordingly. It is an amazing city. Not sure what your tour options will be but if there is just a bus drop off at, say Piazza Venezia or some other place nearby, that is a good jumping off point to explore on your own.

Agree with you. We were in Rome for 5 days and it wasn't enough. The cruise will just give people a small sample/taste of the cities they visit and then, if they want to, they can return. We did the opposite -- did places we wanted to see around the world first and are now cruising. We are all fortunate to see the world no matter how we do it:D

We have been to Europe on land vacations and will be going there on Regent in two weeks. I have been quite outspoken in the past about "included" excursions. I'm a strong believer that Regent passengers should have the right to opt out (for a credit of some type).

Since the excursions are there, we are trying some 1/2 day included excursions as well as a couple that we are paying for. It should be interesting to learn exactly what these included excursions are like as they are so different -- depending upon where you are in the world. The best we have had was in the Middle East. . . ., the worst in South America.

In spite of paying for excursions that we either do not want or are poor quality, Regent is definitely worth the price for us.

We are.considering South America, BA to Rio. Are the tours included really bad?

We are.considering South America, BA to Rio. Are the tours included really bad?

We did Cape Town to Rio and also Ft. Lauderdale to Lima, so I can't say whether or not your excursions would be bad. Our excursion in Rio was okay. Rio is so incredibly crowded that it is difficult for cars/buses/taxis to even move. What we saw was interesting but not something that we would do again. In fact, we just cancelled a cruise that ended in Rio. We could not imagine going through that mess again. However, you will hear many stories of how wonderful Rio is. I do not disagree with their experience.. . just do not feel the same way.

The cruise from Cape Town to Rio was awesome but was a crossing with very few port stope.

Really doln't want to put you off of your cruise as it may be wonderful. Buenos Aires is reportedly a lovely port. In general, you need to be very aware of your surroundings in South America (in terms of safety).

agree with you. We were in rome for 5 days and it wasn't enough. The cruise will just give people a small sample/taste of the cities they visit and then, if they want to, they can return. We did the opposite -- did places we wanted to see around the world first and are now cruising. We are all fortunate to see the world no matter how we do it:d

+1 :)

I have to throw in my 2 cents worth. I totally agree with Nana and others. Once you experience Regent nothing compares. If you enjoy the finest things in life and being pampered, then Regent is for you. Do you pay a little bit more? Of course. Remember, you get what you pay for. As others have said, once you arrive on the ship everything is paid for. Sure, it's not free...what is? But the experience is worth every penny. I hate having to sign every time I want a drink and hate those pesky photographers the most. So, if you want to indulge and get the best service go with Regent. Look at it this way. Other cruise lines are like staying at a Hilton or Sheraton. Regent is the Ritz and Four seasons. Do you pay more at Four Seasons? Of course. Do you get better service? No question. It's all a matter of preference and how we want to spend our money.

I beg to differ on the comparison of Regent to a Four Seasons. Maybe more like a beautiful Hyatt resort like in Kauai. I would reserve the comparisons of the finer chains such as St. Regis and Four Seasons for Crystal Cruises...Sorry I have sailed both lines and this is my opinion.

I beg to differ on the comparison of Regent to a Four Seasons. Maybe more like a beautiful Hyatt resort like in Kauai. I would reserve the comparisons of the finer chains such as St. Regis and Four Seasons for Crystal Cruises...Sorry I have sailed both lines and this is my opinion.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. IMO, there is no comparison between any luxury cruise line and hotels. Can you imagine staying at the Four Seasons in a room the size of Crystal's suites? How about a butler for every room as Silversea does on their ships? Not sure how all-inclusive would go over either. Comparing Regent to Silversea, Seabourn and Crystal (to a certain extent) makes more sense to me.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. IMO, there is no comparison between any luxury cruise line and hotels. Can you imagine staying at the Four Seasons in a room the size of Crystal's suites? How about a butler for every room as Silversea does on their ships? Not sure how all-inclusive would go over either. Comparing Regent to Silversea, Seabourn and Crystal (to a certain extent) makes more sense to me.

You are right Travelcat. On Symphony the penthouses are the way to go. On Serenity there is better room in the standard cabin. And I will give the award for more comfortable beds to Regent.

After that though:

Crystal is the most glamourous way to cruise on the high seas. The most polished of facilities, friendly and impeccable service, the best and most varied cultural enrichment programs, fantastic partys, lavish and decadent buffets, and always a famous passenger aboard.. I could go on and on and on... Regent is great for what it is: a very nice country club. If you can afford Regent then you should also taste Crystal. Itineraries are important to me so I do consider Regent when cruise planning. I would be interested in reading someone's elses opinion whom has sailed both lines like myself.

We have met several people on our Regent cuises who have sailed Crystal and absolutely love it. I have not been interested due to the set seating and the formal clothes. I might consider it though, since all those people really rave about it.

This cruise I am currently on, Barcelona to Istanbul has been fantastic, with excellent service and just great, however exhausting. Today though, the one drawback of Regent showed itself. Due to weather our port Santorini was cancelled. Since everything is included, and we pre paid for the included excursions there are of course no refunds. How do you refund "free"? The destination desk is not scheduling any other excursions today.

The set seating on Crystal is optional. Crystal now offers open dining. Many of us want formal nights to go away and become informal on sea days. Port days are always casual.

Crystal is now all inclusive with the exception of shore excursions. We like booking our own privately so we can control the day and not be on a tour bus.

Regent is a very good line but just different from Crystal. Only you can decide what you like.

The set seating on Crystal is optional. Crystal now offers open dining. Many of us want formal nights to go away and become informal on sea days. Port days are always casual.

Crystal is now all inclusive with the exception of shore excursions. We like booking our own privately so we can control the day and not be on a tour bus.

Regent is a very good line but just different from Crystal. Only you can decide what you like.

Definately each has to choose for themselves -- I don't want to pay for and book excursions seperately - and I love a good formal night

Okay, so I poked around looking at a few Crystal Voyages. I could cope with the stateroom sizes I think. But cruise-only prices seem to be in the same ballpark as Regent. Plus the few itineraries I looked at seemed uninspiring. Perhaps I'm just getting jaded. Maybe someday.

For us, Regent is the right "fit" because they meet all of the criteria important to us.

We would love to try some of the other lines, but Silversea and Seabourn have too liberal smoking policies. For us, it's a deal breaker.

Windstar and Seadream don't have balconies, and we do enjoy a balcony.

While these reasons for not trying other lines may seem trivial to some, they are important to us. Again, it's personal choice.

All other things considered, these other lines are the right-size as far as number of passengers, food/service look to be very good to excellent, and they have itineraries that interest us.

But, since we are not able to cruise often, we will spend our hard-earned money with Regent, because they suit us the best. The bottom line is, everything is a matter of personal choice, and everyone needs to do his/her research to find the cruise line that will make them happy.:) Thanks to CC boards and knowledgeable posters, it's that much easier to make an informed decision.

Archived