Is Regent worth the extra $$$$?

LindaM

As regards clothes, I'm not that sure what to wear myself but I've told Sally to "think tea at Claridges" in the evening and "comfortable" during the day. I get the impression tho' that people aren't all that bothered what you wear as long as you don't put your feet on the table (which we won't).

I have a pretty good idea what tea at Claridges might be like these days, although I have never been there myself, but perhaps that's a good approximation of "resort casual". That means she'll bring some jewellery and perhaps a couple pairs of shoes that aren't meant for walking. Sounds like you'll be good to go. I can't vouch for weather in Istanbul in April, but the Med. should be very nice, with any luck. I guess rain is possible, but being from the U.K., you're probably always ready for that!

What a lovely surprise for her.

We arrive in Istanbul April 19th and depart on the Voyager the 23rd. The average high temperature in April is 61F with a low of 46F (8C). By May it will be around 70F during the day.

That sounds exactly like what we experienced.

A co-worker told me about Regent, and how everything was all inclusive. After doing some research on the cruise line and looking at their pricing, I thought there is no way DH is going to go for this, for that matter, neither am I. We were already planning a cruise and knew we wanted to go to Europe, but after looking at some of those airline prices….whew!! To my surprise he said let’s go for it (Regent). We have been on several cruises mainly RCCL, and considering excursions, a drink here and there, specialty restaurants, a drink here and drink there (did I say that already), and not to mention airfare, we totally think it’s worth it. Granted we will not be able to go until 2014, but we are going. First time to Europe and first time on Regent. Cruising on RCCL with 4000 or more and going on Regent with 700, maaaannn, I don’t know if I’ll know how to act. But I do know I will not put my feet on the tables.

So I've never been on a regent cruise and I of course have looked at them and yes before any one gets hasty.... Can afford one as well. My question, I've been to country clubs and all the swanky spots that the rich endorse but one thing I can say, I like to have fun, I like the type of fun that if I make a fool of myself in karaoke every one will laugh and be merry. Am I assuming in saying that Regent cruises cater more to the rich that look down on the people who cannot afford $4-10000 per person? Everyone that I have spoken to regarding Regent have all stated that most regent cruisers do not like to affiliate themselves with what they consider "lower class" cruisers which is why I am sure the Carnival knock by one of the posters was made. If this is the case and if that is how regent cruisers function.... Then maybe Regent may not be the one for me. I think most people who would pay that kind of money just to say someone served me a drink better or rolled my covers down better doesn't make me better. In fact, I think some people just pay for this kind of cruise so they can associate themselves with the rich when in fact it's not really in their budgets.

I guess Ill be the fly in the ointment.

To me, Regent isn't worth the money. Radisson was, Regent not so much. You can start with the asinine single supplement and go from there. Yes, Regent is "all inclusive" but, what's included isn't what it used to be. Food and service are both down (eg:caviar used to be an ask and receive gratis option, not the current special brunch option further breakfast in CR didn't used take 1 hour for some eggs and toast), neither seems to be recovering. They should pay you if you go on any of their excursions (free or otherwise - they don't vet their tours now it seems) and the line seems to be run by a duo who couldn't successfully lead an army of ants to a picnic.

So I've never been on a regent cruise and I of course have looked at them and yes before any one gets hasty.... Can afford one as well. My question, I've been to country clubs and all the swanky spots that the rich endorse but one thing I can say, I like to have fun, I like the type of fun that if I make a fool of myself in karaoke every one will laugh and be merry. Am I assuming in saying that Regent cruises cater more to the rich that look down on the people who cannot afford $4-10000 per person? Everyone that I have spoken to regarding Regent have all stated that most regent cruisers do not like to affiliate themselves with what they consider "lower class" cruisers which is why I am sure the Carnival knock by one of the posters was made. If this is the case and if that is how regent cruisers function.... Then maybe Regent may not be the one for me. I think most people who would pay that kind of money just to say someone served me a drink better or rolled my covers down better doesn't make me better. In fact, I think some people just pay for this kind of cruise so they can associate themselves with the rich when in fact it's not really in their budgets.

Very interesting post and perspective! IMO, Regent passengers are definitely not the type to look down on people -- no matter what the reason. I do feel that Regent passengers might be a bit more sedate (not talking age) than passengers on non-luxury lines. Luxury ships are 1,000 passengers or less. They do not have climbing walls, slides into the swimming pool, malls, etc. They do have karaoke and passengers like to enjoy themselves.

For some reason, it is so easy to pick on Carnival. I have done it myself. It isn't done because Regent cruisers think they are better than Carnival cruisers. When people who typically sail on mainstream cruise lines think of changing to luxury lines, we try to tell them the differences. In addition to what I mentioned above, there is no music at the swimming pool (except for the occasional live band during an event) -- it is very quiet and relaxing. There are also almost no children on Regent (unless school is not in session and Regent has Club Mariner for them).

When you are on a Regent ship you would have no way of knowing how wealthy a person is (or not). Most of the conversations onboard have to do with traveling -- many times discussing the touring you did that day or will be doing the next day. No one cares how much money you have.

The thing I like most about sailing on luxury lines is the lack of "classes". Everyone is treated the same -- whether you are in the least or most expensive cabin. I cannot understand who you would have spoken with that thinks Regent passengers look down at the "lower class". What is lower class anyway? I probabaly would look down at someone who put their bare feet on the table.. . but it has nothing to do with how much money they have:confused:

LittleMiss--We have met some of the most down to earth, friendly, fun-loving people on Regent. Yes, of course, some people can be stuffy or pretentious, but you'll find that anywhere. My husband and I can't afford to cruise Regent every year, but we gladly forgo cruising/vacationing elsewhere in order to book Regent when we have saved up enough for it. They are that worth it, trust me!

As others have pointed out, nobody cares which suite category you're in. The staff is wonderful and the service is top-notch.

Now I need to go check my savings account balance to see how much closer we are to booking our next Regent cruise......:)

Well it's good to hear that there are down to earth individuals on Regent, I may give them a try in the near future as I do love luxury but just cannot handle all of the snobby attitudes that can come along with it. Thanks for the clearer insight :)

LittleMiss

The first time we cruised with Regent, I have to admit that I wasn't sure if we'd "fit in"---my husband is a former Marine, blue-collar worker (welder) and I'm a retired teacher. We met all kinds of folks from all walks of life-- some who had been on many Regent cruises (which would just come up in conversation), many well-traveled, and then others like us who could only cruise infrequently.

Typically the question "What do you do for a living?" comes up when you meet new people. We met a CEO of a company (who had us laughing nonstop), several former military personnel, accountants, lawyers, secretaries, you name it. You can be as social (or not) as you like.

You won't have the hairy chest/knobby knees contests that you might see on other mass-cruise lines. The on-board experience will be more sedate, but believe me, you'll have fun! We can't wait to go back.

... My question, I've been to country clubs and all the swanky spots that the rich endorse but one thing I can say, I like to have fun, I like the type of fun that if I make a fool of myself in karaoke every one will laugh and be merry. Am I assuming in saying that Regent cruises cater more to the rich that look down on the people who cannot afford $4-10000 per person? ...

I concur what others have said--not stuffy at all. There are always a few uptight rich people on any cruise, but for the most part, the passengers are not like that. Very unpretentious and friendly. On the other hand, as TC said, fairly sedate--I don't make it to karaoke, so I can't vouch for that, but I'm thinking there are some late-nighters who like to whoop it up. We certainly have a great deal of fun onboard, despite going to bed early! :p

To me, Regent isn't worth the money. Radisson was, Regent not so much. ...

I tend to agree with this--Radisson was a *great deal*, back in the day! But those days are gone. I'll comment more when I get back from Alaska on Navigator in a month and a half.

Typically the question "What do you do for a living?" comes up when you meet new people. We met a CEO of a company (who had us laughing nonstop), several former military personnel, accountants, lawyers, secretaries, you name it. You can be as social (or not) as you like.

Yep. We met a farmer from mid-west staying in the next cabin to ours. We met a big-time corporate lawyer. We met an orthodonist staying in the Owner's Suite. All kinds of folks, salesmen, entrepreneurs, doctors, accountants, most of them really nice. And many don't ask what you do for a living, especially if you're a woman (a bit sexist, yes.) If you ask to be seated with other people in the main dining room (Compass Rose), then you will meet a cross section of those people--that process tends to be self-selecting--the snobs don't ask to be seated with others!

We never ask what someone does/did for a living and are rarely asked. Our first question tends to be "where are you from". This leads into the flights that got you to the ship, etc.

In terms of whether Radisson was better than Regent. .. . in some ways yes -- in some ways no (the ships were not maintained quite as well under Radisson). If you read the boards of other luxury cruise lines, you'll always read something about how much better things "used to be". We try not to make comparisons. It helps us stay positive.:)

True enough. I guess you were lucky to sail the PG before it's "bad patch" in 2005, which unfortunately some friends of ours experienced with us.

To those new to Regent--can't recommend the Paul Gauguin more highly. It's just had a refurb as well, and the reports keep coming back stellar.

Little Miss,

I was very concerned that the Regent passengers would be snobs. I have lived in a wealthy community my entire life, so I have a lot of experience with snobs. And, I have had experience here, with some people who have responded to my posts in a condescending manner. I am a retired teacher; my husband has an bachelors in Electrical Eng., although he is an Electrician by trade---blue collar. (Thank goodness he stayed with that, or he would have been out of a job due to the collapse of the auto industry in Michigan.)

The passengers on Regent couldn't have been more down to earth. They were SOOO nice. I can recall only 1 woman traveling with her son, who was an obvious snob. We have encountered more snobs on HAL!!! On our last HAL cruise we were bombarded with them!! Another reason Regent will be our cruiseline of choice would be the fellow passengers. I just liked them!!! They didn't look or act like rich people---just people you like to associate with!

Little Miss,

I was very concerned that the Regent passengers would be snobs. I have lived in a wealthy community my entire life, so I have a lot of experience with snobs. And, I have had experience here, with some people who have responded to my posts in a condescending manner. I am a retired teacher; my husband has an bachelors in Electrical Eng., although he is an Electrician by trade---blue collar. (Thank goodness he stayed with that, or he would have been out of a job due to the collapse of the auto industry in Michigan.)

The passengers on Regent couldn't have been more down to earth. They were SOOO nice. I can recall only 1 woman traveling with her son, who was an obvious snob. We have encountered more snobs on HAL!!! On our last HAL cruise we were bombarded with them!! Another reason Regent will be our cruiseline of choice would be the fellow passengers. I just liked them!!! They didn't look or act like rich people---just people you like to associate with!

Very well said, Linda.

(Edited to add: we have a friend who has sailed with us twice--he gives names to the few, stand-out snobs that we have seen on the ships. Like "Bunny" from Dallas by way of Palm Beach and New York, who wore nothing but blue, white and red nautical gear--her husband was the same except he wore a nautical cap--we called him Popeye!)

Wendy, Your "Bunny and Popeye" story made me chuckle.

One night in Prime 7 my husband and I witnessed some behavior that I thought I would never see....but then one never knows.....:)

As anyone who has dined at Prime 7 on the Navigator knows, it is a very small venue, and tables are quite close together. There was a woman in there whom I had met at our block party on board and several times in the hallway, and I have to count her among the very few "snobs" I have met. She would never return my "hello" (or anyone else's for that matter) whenever I happened to run into her. She and her husband were seated next to us in Prime 7.

She tapped her wine glass, and insisted to her husband, "This glass is plastic!!" Of course, she said this in a very loud tone and just about everyone in the room could hear her. A staff member hurried over to her and she demanded that her "plastic" wine glass be replaced with a crystal one. Of course he obliged, but as anyone who has sailed with Regent knows, plastic anything is pretty much nonexistent. She then continued to find fault with the meal, the service, most everything.

I could only find her behavior sad, to say the least. Here we were, fortunate enough to be on this wonderful ship and all she could do was complain and insult the staff and crew. I had seen her on the pool deck treating the servers there in the same manner.

Fortunately, this type of person is very rare among the passengers one finds on Regent. Guess there's at least one in every crowd!:rolleyes:

LittleMiss... It seems I am the naughty girl here and am solely responsible for the tacky Referance to the cruise line you love.... I apologized earlier and I will apologize to you too! It was uncalled for and should not reflect poorly on Regent or the of the posters on the Regent CC board....

It seems that a certain "new poster" never before seen on the Regent board and a frequent poster on several large cruiselines got me a bit upset :)

So two glasses of wine later I let my fingers do the talking! Never a good idea and I am pretty sure the reason that last post is now missing is because Host Dan removed it!!!! Thanks Host Dan ....

Little Miss, welcome to the Regent Board where you will find some of the nicest cruisers on the Seven Seas...you never know you might just really like cruising on much smallers ships and enjoy the pampering offer by Regent....

Sheltie, I know the type you mean. On the "Bunny" trip, we were in the equivalent of a PH on the PG, on deck 8, where most of the larger, butlered cabins are. As we went down the hall with our luggage on boarding, she peered out at us and sniffed, as if to say, "here comes the riff-raff". Not in a well-meaning way, unlike the two couples, who, when we joined the line for Business Class check-in in L.A., in our jeans and t-shirts, turned around and pointed out the Economy line to us. We got a good chuckle out of that, and did get to be snobs ourselves for a few minutes.

Bunny constantly butt in, was demanding and condescending. This is not a way to ingratiate yourself to staff or fellow passengers. Neither is playing very loud opera out on your balcony.

Oh, Wendy, I'll bet there's lots of "Bunny" stories out there!:D

To this day I can't figure out how "Diamond Lil" (that's how I remember her) could possibly think her fine crystal wine glass was plastic. I'm just a country bumpkin, but I know crystal when I see it! After all, it makes my cheap wine taste so much better here at home.....have to drink the cheap stuff so we can be on board Regent that much sooner!:eek:

Linda, you have me worried. I certainly hope I wasn't the snobby lady travelling with her son!

At any rate, most cruisers on Regent are really interesting people and pretty fun. My younger son has had some late nights at Karaoke, and he reports it is a hoot. I go to bed earlier than that usually so can't personally say. Both he and his brother (21 and 25) are happily anticipating their next Regent cruise.

Linda, you have me worried. I certainly hope I wasn't the snobby lady travelling with her son!

At any rate, most cruisers on Regent are really interesting people and pretty fun. My younger son has had some late nights at Karaoke, and he reports it is a hoot. I go to bed earlier than that usually so can't personally say. Both he and his brother (21 and 25) are happily anticipating their next Regent cruise.

Do you have their next cruise planned yet?

Rachel,

It wasn't you. We just got off March 21!! The last time we encountered the offending woman, she was seated behind us at a 2 top along the rail of La Veranda. I looked over my shoulder, because we were deciding if there was a stairway to take us up to the open deck behind Galileo's. When she got up to leave, she stopped by our table to ask us if they were bothering us---because I had turned around!! This woman was something else--she either caused her husband to have an early death, or he divorced her!!

Archived