10th and probably last Royal Caribbean Cruise.

Royal Caribbean's alcohol policy is so out of line with the rest of the cruise industry, that I doubt I will sail again with them.

Most lines (Princess, Norwegian, Cunard, Disney, and even Carnival) allow you to bring on at least 1 bottle of wine/champagne! Are they that desperate for revenue that they forbid even a bottle of champagne for a celebration???

If not for the revenue, then just how many 59 year old women do they have onboard, who go hog wild on a glass or two of champagne? Do they not even have respect for their passengers, that they will behave in a responsible manner?

Unbelievable!!

I'm with you, it should lighten, but I don't want to see ppl rocked drunk on my sailings... so I'll take the tighter restrictions to avoid the party boats.

However, I've picked small bottles of this and that up on land and was able to bring them on w/o them being taken. The key is to not have a lot.

Also, note that you can have a service local to the departure port deliver a 'gift' to your room and your champagne could be there waiting for you.

-J

Royal Caribbean's alcohol policy is so out of line with the rest of the cruise industry, that I doubt I will sail again with them.

Most lines (Princess, Norwegian, Cunard, Disney, and even Carnival) allow you to bring on at least 1 bottle of wine/champagne! Are they that desperate for revenue that they forbid even a bottle of champagne for a celebration???

If not for the revenue, then just how many 59 year old women do they have onboard, who go hog wild on a glass or two of champagne? Do they not even have respect for their passengers, that they will behave in a responsible manner?

Unbelievable!!

I know how you feel. I'm sure they will SELL you enough to go hog wild! We generally find a better deal with Princess so haven't been on RCCL in a while but found a really good deal on a Bermuda cruise so in Sept we will be sailing. While in port we will have adult beverages! It really bugs me as well and I did have a comment to the sales rep last week. Just got my 'not allowed and will not be in the future' email from someone at RCCL and I specifically mentioned how I wish they would do as competitors do and no dice. Guess they think we will come anyway. I will check other lines first though.

So exactly how many threads do you need to start on the same subject. You do know they will sell you all the wine, champagne and other alcohol you might want, you just need to buy it from them.

I'm with you, it should lighten, but I don't want to see ppl rocked drunk on my sailings... so I'll take the tighter restrictions to avoid the party boats.

However, I've picked small bottles of this and that up on land and was able to bring them on w/o them being taken. The key is to not have a lot.

Also, note that you can have a service local to the departure port deliver a 'gift' to your room and your champagne could be there waiting for you.

-J

Other lines allow wine/champagne and I have yet to see anyone drunk onboard, except on Majesty of the Seas, where someone tried to stab someone and was put in the brig.

I think you are certainly entitled to move to another line if you disagree with the policy and only wonder why it took ten cruises to come to that decision. However, in light of the recent TV expose, I think it is highly unlikely that your protest or that of any others will have any chance of getting RCI to change their policy. More likely they will increase their vigilance and confiscate more wine and liquor that might have escaped notice in the past.

Unbelievable!!

I find it believable. I'm glad my life doesn't revolve around alcohol to the point I need to carry it onboard. On the bright side, maybe this will mean price drops for me and I'll have more money to pay for the 1-3 drinks I may have on a cruise.

Yeah, this topic is so beat to death. But I do like most lines' policies of allowing at least some wine or champagne onboard...and with Carnival, you are able to (or at least you could a couple of years ago, don't know if the policy has changed) purchase hard liquor from the line and have it delivered to your cabin the first night. I bought a bottle of rum through Carnival once; the price was at least double what one could buy on shore, but I know I saved a bunch of money mixing my own drinks, plus I had the convenience of being able to enjoy a drink in my cabin without having to order one.

-J

I believe RCL stopped allowing this several years ago...

So basically you choose your cruise line by alcohol policy. I can see where that would make or break a vacation.

Ship size, atmosphere, amenities, itineraries, etc. are not important, its all about being able to bring your precious bottle of wine on with you.

Dozens of bars are not enough. You need your little nippy bottle in your room.

I believe RCL stopped allowing this several years ago...

You can order wine/champagne from Gifts & Gear for delivery to your stateroom.

From the website

Our extensive Wine Cellar Collection rivals those of the finest restaurants, offering more than 50 bottles of wine and champagne from around the world. Order from the list below and have your favorite bottle delivered to your stateroom or to your table at dinner. Please choose Dining Room delivery if you wish to drink your wine in the dining room. Stateroom delivery indicates you will drink your wine in your stateroom only.

I know how you feel. I'm sure they will SELL you enough to go hog wild! We generally find a better deal with Princess so haven't been on RCCL in a while but found a really good deal on a Bermuda cruise so in Sept we will be sailing. While in port we will have adult beverages! It really bugs me as well and I did have a comment to the sales rep last week. Just got my 'not allowed and will not be in the future' email from someone at RCCL and I specifically mentioned how I wish they would do as competitors do and no dice. Guess they think we will come anyway. I will check other lines first though.

It is cheaper to drink on the ship than in Bermuda:eek:

Don't blame you, OP! Nothing wrong with loving your wine. If that's what makes or breaks your cruise, so be it.

I don't drink (hate the taste of alcohol, yuck!) but I know wine lovers who have very specific taste and don't find RCI's on board collection adequate. There are other lines out there that will allow you unlimited carry on.

Enjoy your future cruises!

It is cheaper to drink on the ship than in Bermuda:eek:

We found a reasonable place last May and had fun! I can't recall the name of the place but neat. We always like to have local food and drink. It just becomes the principle of the issue. I'm sure we will have a drink or 2 on board. We aren't big drinkers anyway.

So basically you choose your cruise line by alcohol policy. I can see where that would make or break a vacation.

Ship size, atmosphere, amenities, itineraries, etc. are not important, its all about being able to bring your precious bottle of wine on with you.

Dozens of bars are not enough. You need your little nippy bottle in your room.

Well, no need to add any other comment to this post! :D

Unbelievable!!

The policy hasn't changed, why'd you sail with them the first ten times?

Being able to drink alcohol or not, or "convenience" of the availability of alcohol does not rate very high in my vacation decision making process. I am perfectly content to purchase my occasional alcoholic beverage on board. I am not such a connoisseur that I feel I need to bring on a special brand.

This does appear to be an important issue to the OP, so perhaps she should be looking at other lines.

Somehow, whether I can or cannot bring a bottle of booze onboard with me on a cruise isn't a deal breaker. If I can't afford to buy a drink once on the ship, I probably should be taking a cruise anyway.

Please don't let one bottle of champagne ruin this for you. Is this the worst thing that can happen? I highly doubt it ruined your cruise. Look at it this way, one less thing to pack and carry. I know it's easy for me to say. I wasn't there.

Shake it off and now you know for the future. If it was that much of a celebration you would have found a way regardless. I hope you enjoyed your cruise, theres nothing like them.

The policy hasn't changed, why'd you sail with them the first ten times?

The policy has changed, you were once allowed to buy booze in the ship's store, and allowed to take it back to your cabin for a $9.00 extra charge, not bad. You were also allowed to bring on all the wine you wanted many years ago.............and they never charged us a corkage fee in the MDR!!!!

This was even cancelled way before the Smith case. Things were really tightened then, and the "naughty room" was born.

I don't have a problem with purchasing alcohol on the ship. I just wish I could bring my own water. I know some say you can, but it says you can't?????

What I will have a problem with is Gatorade. I have to drink it for a medical condition and electrolytes. (Hate the stuff) My Doc will send me with a note and C&A said that shouldn't be a problem. Will try to get that is writing though.

I don't have a problem with purchasing alcohol on the ship. I just wish I could bring my own water. I know some say you can, but it says you can't?????

What I will have a problem with is Gatorade. I have to drink it for a medical condition and electrolytes. (Hate the stuff) My Doc will send me with a note and C&A said that shouldn't be a problem. Will try to get that is writing though.

They are not concerned in the least with non alcoholic beverages that I have ever seen or heard........you should be just fine bringing on reasonable amounts of gatorade and water.

Archived