St Croix Anyone??

gfsu

Just curious we are leaving on VOS soon and were curious if anyone had heard anything about the refueling stop. Haven't heard much kind of makes me wonder if there have been a few bad experiences all ready?? Anyone know??

My parents live in St. Croix and it can be dangerous in some areas. Downtown Christenstaad is fine along the coast downtown but it would not be wise to venture too far inland without some knowledge about the area. My stepdad has worked for the oil refinery there about three years now, and I have heard some pretty scary stories about people being accosted, tourists and locals both. Also, their mental health facilities leave a lot to be desired and there are a lot of homeless people.

I was on the Radiance at Thanksgiving and we made a refueling stop at St. Croix. It is not a big deal. The ship stops refuels and leaves. No one is allowed off the ship. We didn't even realise we had stopped nor when we left. Not to be concerned at all. When the announcement was made that we were refueling there rumors were flying all over the ship and we were hoping we could go on shore. Not a biggy at all.

I made a scheduled stop in St. Croix on my first cruise (Carnival Destiny in 2000) and my 11 year old son and I had a great time. We visited a cool plantation (Rose Hall) and went to an environmental sanctuary during the day, went back on the ship for dinner and came back on the island at night for a street festival. There was a lot of security and we felt MUCH safe than an earlier night stop in San Juan.

This past Dec, our Radiance cruise, scheduled that day for St. Thomas, stopped at St. Croix for refueling and an announcement was made that passengers could depart (from about 6:00 PM until 11:00 or so). Unfortunately, RCI made its announcement sound so grim ("Caveat Emptor") that few people got off. We did (though I was with another single woman so we did arrange for a couple to go with us - a man and a woman) and had another great time. The downtown area was strung with lights, the people were so grateful to see us, they had free drinks and street dancers and it was fun. I bought an amazing oil painting for $40 - it is above my computer as we speak and I wouldn't trade it for ten times the price.

Our dining companions (two couples) did not depart and kicked themselves later that they were scared off. Oh, and there must have been two cops for every passenger on the streets.

Too bad they don't make that extra stop all the time. We were thrilled to visit another place!

We stopped last month on the Serenade. We were told that that ship stops once every 3 weeks. We got off the ship about 8:30pm, walked in to town, where they had blocked off some streets. There was a band playing, and we danced in the street, had a drink, bought some souvenirs (some GREAT homemade soap) and were back on the ship by 11pm. It left by midnight. We thought it was fun, because we had docked at St. Thomas that morning, took the ferry to St. John, and then were at St. Croix, all in the same day.

We made the fuel stop in St. Croix about 2 weeks ago while on the Radiance. We skipped dinner (2nd seating) as we were allowed to disembark around 7:30. (had a late lunch after St. Thomas and the Caribbean buffet on pool deck at 11:30 - not to worry) They had a tram and 2 school buses ready to drive us down the pier to town. It is not far - at most a few minutes but there is quite a bit of construction and in the dark looked fairly bumpy and rocky. (A likely place to fall, twist ankle, etc)

At the end of the short bus ride, the town was set up with a street carnival atmosphere. Several booths were set up distributing information about St. Croix, passing out rum punch, etc. There was some music, entertainers, additional booths selling crafts and various items. Several streets were blocked off and barricades were set up at the end with police/security officers.

Unfortunately, a transformer blew shortly after we arrived. People were trying there best with additional extension cords - which would then trip a circuit. Bands were set up at the various bars but without power at that time. There were some street musicians (drums) quickly setting up to entertain the crowd. We watched them for a short while and headed back to the ship as there wasn't much to see in the darkness.

My understanding is that Voyager class ships do not make this stop.

We were on the Navigator Thanksgiving '04 -- we stopped in St. Croix to refuel. From what I understood, that sailing was the first time Navigator made this stop. We were not allowed to disembark.

I do not know if Navigator continues to make this fuel stop.

Archived