Dream vs Magic vs Breeze

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:38 AM.
1,664 Posts
Joined May 2006
I know that the Dream, Magic, and Breeze are all Dream Class ships. However, I know that they do not all have exactly the same ammenities as each other. I was on the Magic last June. I know that the Dream lacks certain ammenities that the Magic and Breeze have. And I know that the Breeze has certain ammenities that the Magic and Dream do not have.

My question is, what ammenities does the Dream not have, that the Magic has? And, what ammenities does the Breeze have that the Magic does not have? Since I was on the Magic, does that mean that the Dream would be a step down? Thanks.
Tulsa area
2,439 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Well let's see if I answer some of this.

The Dream does not have a ropes course, the Red Frog Pub, Cucina del Capitano (the evening extra charge Italian Restaurant) but does have the Pasta Bar at lunch like Magic and Breeze.

The new things on the Breeze that the Magic doesn't have is the Sushi Restaurant (extra charge), the Thrill Theatre, Guy's Burgers, and the BlueIguana Cantina.

There are probably other things but I can't think of them right now.

Sharon
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Previous Cruises:
05/12/1997 - Old Star Princess - Alaska - From Vancouver - Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Hubbard Glacier, College Fjord, end Seward
04/22/2007 - Carnival Valor - From Miami to Nassau, St Thomas, St Maarten -
04/26/2009 - Carnival Conquest - From Galveston to Jamaica & Grand Cayman
04/17/2010 - Carnival Dream - From Port Canaveral to Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya
11/08/2010 - Carnival Triumph - From New Orleans to Progresso & Cozumel
04/04/2011 - Carnival Miracle - From Ft. Lauderdale to St. Maarten, St Lucia, St Kitts
11/05/2011 - Carnival Dream - From Port Canaveral to St. Thomas & St. Maarten
03/18/2012 - Carnival Magic - From Galveston - Birthday cruise to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel
04/13/2013 - Carnival Breeze - From Miami - St Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, Nassau
04/21/2013 - BVE Ruby Princess - At Fort Lauderdale
11/01/2014 - Carnival Splendor - From San Juan - St Croix, Martinique, Grenada, Dominica, Grand Turk, end Miami
03/21/2015 - Celebrity Summit - From San Juan - Barbados, St Lucia, Antigua, St Maarten, St Thomas
03/20/2016 - Carnival Magic - From Galveston - Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica
04/29/2017 - Carnival Conquest - From Fort Lauderdale - Grand Turk, La Romana, Curacao, Aruba
Music City
2,949 Posts
Joined Dec 2003
Dream doesn't have the Water Bucket Dumper and I think the other two do have it. Dream had a Drainpipe slide, Twister Slide and racer slides, as well as a splash zone. I think the Splash zone is a little different on all 3 ships.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Monarch of the Seas 1992
Regent Rainbow 1993
Soverign of the Seas 1994
Grandeur of the Seas 1997
Carnival Fantasy 1998
Monarch of the Seas 1999
Majesty of the Seas 2000
Soverign of the Seas 2001
Carnival Miracle 2005
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Carnival Liberty 2009
Carnival Legend 2010
Carnival Fantasy 2011
Carnival Dream 2012
Carnival Breeze 2013
Carnival Liberty 2015
Carnival Dream 2016
Anthem of the Seas 2018
Portland Maine
4,236 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Breeze hands down
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
REGAL PRINCESS NOV 2018
CARNIVAL VISTA JAN 2018
REGAL PRINCESS OCT 2017
REGAL PRINCESS OCT 2016
CARNIVAL SUNSHINE APR 2016
REGAL PRINCESS OCT 2015
CARNIVAL LIBERTY JAN 2015
CARNIVAL SUNSHINE MARCH 2015
CARNIVAL SPLENDOR OCT 2014
CARNIVAL FREEDOM FEB 2014
CARNIVAL LEGEND OCT 2013
CARNIVAL MIRACLE SEPT 2012
CARNIVAL GLORY MARCH 2012
CARNIVAL DREAM OCT 2010
CARNIVAL LIBERTY OCT 2009
RCL LIBERTY OF THE SEAS DEC 2008

Tulsa, OK
5,174 Posts
Joined May 2009
Just because a ship has fewer amenities doesn't necessarily mean that it's not as good. I enjoyed the Dream quite a bit more than the Magic. That could be because the Magic was over Spring Break, creating a different atmosphere from the guests. And I met some great people both times on the Dream. I enjoyed Magic's ropes course, but it added very little for me. The Red Frog Pub on Magic meant nothing to me. For others, they will love those things, and can't imagine cruising without them. It depends on you. I felt that Dream's entertainment overall has Magic's beat by a mile. I'll take that in a heartbeat over a ropes course, an extra bar, and a dump bucket.

The Waterworks is different. Dream does not have that dump bucket, and I don't remember a splash zone. Dream has 2 extra racer slides that Magic & Breeze do not have. I do give the edge to Magic on the waterpark overall, because of their splash zone. The big slides are very comparable. I did a comparison of the 2 ships in my Magic review, mainly in post #23. The link is in my signature.

Dream also has a little more public space and a little bit fewer passengers. Dream has a deck 14 aft, which Breeze & Magic do not have. Dream has an extra lounge along the promenade deck, which Breeze & Magic do not have. Dream has a noticeably larger aft lounge on deck 5. Breeze & Magic cut into that lounge when they put the steakhouse down there next to it. That makes the comedy club quite a bit more crowded on Breeze & Magic. Dream has 2 extra hot tubs up on deck 11 that Breeze & Magic do not have. So even though you lose a few things by going to the Dream, you also gain some things that most people don't realize.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past cruises: Celebration 9-4-2003, Celebration 9-11-2004, Elation 12-12-2005, Valor 4-22-2007, Conquest 4-26-2009,
..................Holiday's final sailing 11-2-2009, Carnival Dream 4-17-2010
..................Carnival Triumph 11-8-2010, Carnival Miracle 4-4-2011, Carnival Dream 11-5-2011, Carnival Magic 3-18-2012,
..................Carnival Triumph 12-3-2012, Carnival Breeze 4-13-2013, Carnival Dream 1-25-2014,
..................Carnival Splendor 11-1-2014 (San Juan to Miami)

Upcoming cruises: Carnival Breeze 11-3-2018 (14-day Journeys)

k2 is in reference to the mountain known as K2, not a reference to the drug. Mountain highs are greater than any drug high!
1,664 Posts
Joined May 2006
Thanks for the info. My wife and I are trying to decide what our next vacation will be, and the Dream and Breeze are 2 possibilities that we are considering. It seems that the Dream is sort of a cross between the Magic and a Conquest class ship, while the Breeze seems like an upgraded version of the Magic. Like I said, I don't know if next year if we'll necessarily be doing a Caribbean cruise (or any cruise), but if we do decide on another Caribbean cruise, the Dream and Breeze are our next logical choices.

The one negative to cruises is that they have to be planned so far in advance.
Tulsa, OK
5,174 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by mitsguy2001
Thanks for the info. My wife and I are trying to decide what our next vacation will be, and the Dream and Breeze are 2 possibilities that we are considering. It seems that the Dream is sort of a cross between the Magic and a Conquest class ship, while the Breeze seems like an upgraded version of the Magic. Like I said, I don't know if next year if we'll necessarily be doing a Caribbean cruise (or any cruise), but if we do decide on another Caribbean cruise, the Dream and Breeze are our next logical choices.

The one negative to cruises is that they have to be planned so far in advance.

The Dream definitely feels closer to the Magic than a Conquest class ship. The differences between the Dream class ships that I described are mostly just about what is where, except for the Magic & Breeze not having a deck 14 aft. It sounds like the things added to the Breeze are kind of the same thing: something is removed or moved, and the new thing is put in its place. I have pretty much decided that I will not be doing the 5D theater on the Breeze. However, the extra free eating options do sound interesting.

It's not always the case that a cruise has to be planned out in advance. If you are open to different types of rooms, you can book pretty close to sailing. My mom & I booked the Magic about 5 weeks prior to sailing. We stumbled across a great price, and decided to go for it. We didn't get our favorite room: 1A with portholes on deck 2. But we did get a spa interior at a great price. So if it's not at a peak time, like summer & holidays, you could come across a price that's about as good or even better than booking well in advance.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past cruises: Celebration 9-4-2003, Celebration 9-11-2004, Elation 12-12-2005, Valor 4-22-2007, Conquest 4-26-2009,
..................Carnival Triumph 11-8-2010, Carnival Miracle 4-4-2011, Carnival Dream 11-5-2011, Carnival Magic 3-18-2012,
..................Carnival Triumph 12-3-2012, Carnival Breeze 4-13-2013, Carnival Dream 1-25-2014,

k2 is in reference to the mountain known as K2, not a reference to the drug. Mountain highs are greater than any drug high!
Memphis, Tn area
25,297 Posts
Joined Dec 2002
Having sailed on all 3, I would vote for the Breeze.

Loved the feel of the new interior design....

I don't get into all the gimmicks (rope courses, etc) ....
just loved the feel of the ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[email protected]

COMPLETES THE FLEET

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale) ONLY Double Milestone under the age of 21 in the world.....woo hoo!!
Showing the world what a kid with Autism can do!!!
28 year old son... finally DIAMOND (college got in the way). About to "cruise more than all of us under the water" as a. Naval Officer.

Holiday Ship On A Stick with a MARBLE base...

818 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Originally posted by luv2trvlnow
Well let's see if I answer some of this.

The Dream does not have a ropes course, the Red Frog Pub, Cucina del Capitano (the evening extra charge Italian Restaurant) but does have the Pasta Bar at lunch like Magic and Breeze.

The new things on the Breeze that the Magic doesn't have is the Sushi Restaurant (extra charge), the Thrill Theatre, Guy's Burgers, and the BlueIguana Cantina.

There are probably other things but I can't think of them right now.

Sharon
I'm pretty sure Magic has Guy's Burgers. But it doesn't have the Red Frog Rum Bar (different from the Pub).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

08-13-2012 Carnival Triumph
11-03-2013 Carnival Magic
1,664 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by CoconutJD
I'm pretty sure Magic has Guy's Burgers. But it doesn't have the Red Frog Rum Bar (different from the Pub).
The Magic did not have Guy's Burger's when I was on it last year. I don't know if it's been recently added (I doubt it, since I don't think it's had a drydock since when I was on it).
818 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
The Magic did not have Guy's Burger's when I was on it last year. I don't know if it's been recently added (I doubt it, since I don't think it's had a drydock since when I was on it).
It's entirely possible I'm wrong. I thought I read reviews mentioning Guy's, but I don't sail on her until later this year, so I have no first-hand experience.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

08-13-2012 Carnival Triumph
11-03-2013 Carnival Magic
1,664 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by k2excursion
Dream also has a little more public space and a little bit fewer passengers. Dream has a deck 14 aft, which Breeze & Magic do not have.
I could be wrong, but my memory of the Magic was that even though it's not shown on deck plans, I thought that the ropes course and the upper level of the mini golf course were on Deck 14 aft. Am I remembering wrong?

Dream has an extra lounge along the promenade deck, which Breeze & Magic do not have.
Is that lounge for karaoke?
Grover Beach, California
1,283 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
The Carnival Magic definitely does NOT have Guy Burgers.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Carnival Dream's big advantage over both the Magic and the Breeze... the Dream has the best Cruise Director in the fleet, Jaime Deitsch... a.k.a. Jaime Dee. https://www.facebook.com/jaime.deitsch

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My cruise history:
April 2017 Harmony Of The Seas
January 2017 Norwegian Pearl Haven Deluxe Owner's Suite!
January 2017 Allure Of The Seas
October/November 2016 Viking Star
July 2016 Liberty Of The Seas
March/April 2016 Anthem Of The Seas
January 2016 Norwegian Escape - The Haven!
November 2015 Carnival Miracle - Mexican Riviera
September 2015 Carnival Breeze B2B
April 2015 Independence Of The Seas B2B
February 2015 Carnival Freedom 12-day repositioning cruise
November 2014 Royal Caribbean's Allure Of The Seas
September 2014 Norwegian Getaway - Haven Spa Suite!
June 2014 Coral Princess Alaska cruisetour
April/May 2014 Carnival Glory aft wrap B2B
January 2014 Sapphire Princess 4-day
December 2013 Carnival Sunshine Captain's Suite
September 2013 Carnival Conquest aft-wrap
April 2013 Carnival Breeze B2B
October 2012 Carnival Inspiration
August 2012 Carnival Magic B2B
March 2012 Carnival Spirit
September 2011 Carnival Valor B2B
March/April 2011 Carnival Glory B2B
January 2011 Carnival Spirit
November 2010 Carnival Spirit
February 2010 Carnival Splendor
August 2009 Carnival Elation
April 2009 Carnival Paradise
January 2009 Carnival Spirit
April 2008 Norwegian Star
Jan 2008 Carnival Elation
June 1996 MS Holiday

Coming up:

3rd Qtr 2017: Carnival Vista - Havana Suite!
4th Qtr 2017: Norwegian Sky to Havana in the Owner's Suite

1st Qtr 2018: MSC Seaside - Suite With Private Whirlpool On Balcony
2nd Qtr 2018: Norwegian Bliss - Panama Canal
4th Qtr 2018: Norwegian Gem - Haven Deluxe Owner's Suite
1,664 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by Spaniel Lover
The Carnival Magic definitely does NOT have Guy Burgers.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Carnival Dream's big advantage over both the Magic and the Breeze... the Dream has the best Cruise Director in the fleet, Jaime Deitsch... a.k.a. Jaime Dee. https://www.facebook.com/jaime.deitsch

I had Jaime as an assistant cruise director on the Liberty, and I liked her a lot. I was happy to hear she was promoted to cruise director. I am hoping that she is still the cruise director on the Dream when I'm on it in July.
Tulsa, OK
5,174 Posts
Joined May 2009
I could be wrong, but my memory of the Magic was that even though it's not shown on deck plans, I thought that the ropes course and the upper level of the mini golf course were on Deck 14 aft. Am I remembering wrong?

Is that lounge for karaoke?
You are partially correct about the mini golf & ropes course. Those are one deck higher than deck 12 & not shown on deck plans for deck 14. However, those are more midship rather than aft. What I was referring to was that Dream has an aft part of deck 14 that Magic & Breeze do not have. On Dream, this is where the basketball court is, and it overlooks the back of the ship. The Magic & Breeze put the basketball court one deck lower, which eliminated a little bit of public space. Not a huge amount, but it was some. The biggest issue with that move was that the steakhouse was moved to deck 5, eliminating the small lounge and cutting into the comedy club (which has been severely overcrowded). That small lounge eliminated on Magic & Breeze was not used for karaoke. A band would play in there. It was not a major popular spot, but it was used, and it gave another option for some live music that Magic & Breeze do not have.

Many people will not miss it, but it was cut out. It just seemed odd to me for Carnival to cut out some public space from the design when they didn't have to, and to then shrink the extremely popular comedy club when they didn't have to. If they wanted to eliminate that lounge to save money on the band, they should have used that space as a part of a bigger comedy club, and left the basketball court & steakhouse where the Dream has them. (Unless the ropes course somehow created an unseen issue, making it necessary to bring the basketball court down a level.)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature