Dream vs Magic vs Breeze

mitsguy2001

I know that the Dream, Magic, and Breeze are all Dream Class ships. However, I know that they do not all have exactly the same ammenities as each other. I was on the Magic last June. I know that the Dream lacks certain ammenities that the Magic and Breeze have. And I know that the Breeze has certain ammenities that the Magic and Dream do not have.

My question is, what ammenities does the Dream not have, that the Magic has? And, what ammenities does the Breeze have that the Magic does not have? Since I was on the Magic, does that mean that the Dream would be a step down? Thanks.

Well let's see if I answer some of this.

The Dream does not have a ropes course, the Red Frog Pub, Cucina del Capitano (the evening extra charge Italian Restaurant) but does have the Pasta Bar at lunch like Magic and Breeze.

The new things on the Breeze that the Magic doesn't have is the Sushi Restaurant (extra charge), the Thrill Theatre, Guy's Burgers, and the BlueIguana Cantina.

There are probably other things but I can't think of them right now.

Sharon

Dream doesn't have the Water Bucket Dumper and I think the other two do have it. Dream had a Drainpipe slide, Twister Slide and racer slides, as well as a splash zone. I think the Splash zone is a little different on all 3 ships.

Just because a ship has fewer amenities doesn't necessarily mean that it's not as good. I enjoyed the Dream quite a bit more than the Magic. That could be because the Magic was over Spring Break, creating a different atmosphere from the guests. And I met some great people both times on the Dream. I enjoyed Magic's ropes course, but it added very little for me. The Red Frog Pub on Magic meant nothing to me. For others, they will love those things, and can't imagine cruising without them. It depends on you. I felt that Dream's entertainment overall has Magic's beat by a mile. I'll take that in a heartbeat over a ropes course, an extra bar, and a dump bucket.

The Waterworks is different. Dream does not have that dump bucket, and I don't remember a splash zone. Dream has 2 extra racer slides that Magic & Breeze do not have. I do give the edge to Magic on the waterpark overall, because of their splash zone. The big slides are very comparable. I did a comparison of the 2 ships in my Magic review, mainly in post #23. The link is in my signature.

Dream also has a little more public space and a little bit fewer passengers. Dream has a deck 14 aft, which Breeze & Magic do not have. Dream has an extra lounge along the promenade deck, which Breeze & Magic do not have. Dream has a noticeably larger aft lounge on deck 5. Breeze & Magic cut into that lounge when they put the steakhouse down there next to it. That makes the comedy club quite a bit more crowded on Breeze & Magic. Dream has 2 extra hot tubs up on deck 11 that Breeze & Magic do not have. So even though you lose a few things by going to the Dream, you also gain some things that most people don't realize.

Thanks for the info. My wife and I are trying to decide what our next vacation will be, and the Dream and Breeze are 2 possibilities that we are considering. It seems that the Dream is sort of a cross between the Magic and a Conquest class ship, while the Breeze seems like an upgraded version of the Magic. Like I said, I don't know if next year if we'll necessarily be doing a Caribbean cruise (or any cruise), but if we do decide on another Caribbean cruise, the Dream and Breeze are our next logical choices.

The one negative to cruises is that they have to be planned so far in advance.

Thanks for the info. My wife and I are trying to decide what our next vacation will be, and the Dream and Breeze are 2 possibilities that we are considering. It seems that the Dream is sort of a cross between the Magic and a Conquest class ship, while the Breeze seems like an upgraded version of the Magic. Like I said, I don't know if next year if we'll necessarily be doing a Caribbean cruise (or any cruise), but if we do decide on another Caribbean cruise, the Dream and Breeze are our next logical choices.

The one negative to cruises is that they have to be planned so far in advance.

The Dream definitely feels closer to the Magic than a Conquest class ship. The differences between the Dream class ships that I described are mostly just about what is where, except for the Magic & Breeze not having a deck 14 aft. It sounds like the things added to the Breeze are kind of the same thing: something is removed or moved, and the new thing is put in its place. I have pretty much decided that I will not be doing the 5D theater on the Breeze. However, the extra free eating options do sound interesting.

It's not always the case that a cruise has to be planned out in advance. If you are open to different types of rooms, you can book pretty close to sailing. My mom & I booked the Magic about 5 weeks prior to sailing. We stumbled across a great price, and decided to go for it. We didn't get our favorite room: 1A with portholes on deck 2. But we did get a spa interior at a great price. So if it's not at a peak time, like summer & holidays, you could come across a price that's about as good or even better than booking well in advance.

• 3 months later...

Having sailed on all 3, I would vote for the Breeze.

Loved the feel of the new interior design....

I don't get into all the gimmicks (rope courses, etc) ....

just loved the feel of the ship.

Well let's see if I answer some of this.

The Dream does not have a ropes course, the Red Frog Pub, Cucina del Capitano (the evening extra charge Italian Restaurant) but does have the Pasta Bar at lunch like Magic and Breeze.

The new things on the Breeze that the Magic doesn't have is the Sushi Restaurant (extra charge), the Thrill Theatre, Guy's Burgers, and the BlueIguana Cantina.

There are probably other things but I can't think of them right now.

Sharon

I'm pretty sure Magic has Guy's Burgers. But it doesn't have the Red Frog Rum Bar (different from the Pub).

I'm pretty sure Magic has Guy's Burgers. But it doesn't have the Red Frog Rum Bar (different from the Pub).

The Magic did not have Guy's Burger's when I was on it last year. I don't know if it's been recently added (I doubt it, since I don't think it's had a drydock since when I was on it).

The Magic did not have Guy's Burger's when I was on it last year. I don't know if it's been recently added (I doubt it, since I don't think it's had a drydock since when I was on it).

It's entirely possible I'm wrong. I thought I read reviews mentioning Guy's, but I don't sail on her until later this year, so I have no first-hand experience.

Dream also has a little more public space and a little bit fewer passengers. Dream has a deck 14 aft, which Breeze & Magic do not have.

I could be wrong, but my memory of the Magic was that even though it's not shown on deck plans, I thought that the ropes course and the upper level of the mini golf course were on Deck 14 aft. Am I remembering wrong?

Dream has an extra lounge along the promenade deck, which Breeze & Magic do not have.

Is that lounge for karaoke?

The Carnival Magic definitely does NOT have Guy Burgers.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Carnival Dream's big advantage over both the Magic and the Breeze... the Dream has the best Cruise Director in the fleet, Jaime Deitsch... a.k.a. Jaime Dee. https://www.facebook.com/jaime.deitsch

554127_10102309619910004_1674462569_n.jpg

I had Jaime as an assistant cruise director on the Liberty, and I liked her a lot. I was happy to hear she was promoted to cruise director. I am hoping that she is still the cruise director on the Dream when I'm on it in July.

I could be wrong, but my memory of the Magic was that even though it's not shown on deck plans, I thought that the ropes course and the upper level of the mini golf course were on Deck 14 aft. Am I remembering wrong?

Is that lounge for karaoke?

You are partially correct about the mini golf & ropes course. Those are one deck higher than deck 12 & not shown on deck plans for deck 14. However, those are more midship rather than aft. What I was referring to was that Dream has an aft part of deck 14 that Magic & Breeze do not have. On Dream, this is where the basketball court is, and it overlooks the back of the ship. The Magic & Breeze put the basketball court one deck lower, which eliminated a little bit of public space. Not a huge amount, but it was some. The biggest issue with that move was that the steakhouse was moved to deck 5, eliminating the small lounge and cutting into the comedy club (which has been severely overcrowded). That small lounge eliminated on Magic & Breeze was not used for karaoke. A band would play in there. It was not a major popular spot, but it was used, and it gave another option for some live music that Magic & Breeze do not have.

Many people will not miss it, but it was cut out. It just seemed odd to me for Carnival to cut out some public space from the design when they didn't have to, and to then shrink the extremely popular comedy club when they didn't have to. If they wanted to eliminate that lounge to save money on the band, they should have used that space as a part of a bigger comedy club, and left the basketball court & steakhouse where the Dream has them. (Unless the ropes course somehow created an unseen issue, making it necessary to bring the basketball court down a level.)

Someone ask what the 2.0 upgrades ont he Dream were if no Guy's or Blue Iguana Cantina. I think it was a change of the comedy club to Punchliners and sticking on a brunch, adding the candy store (Please, Mayor Bloomberg, don't take a cruise:eek::rolleyes:)and renaming the two Lido deck bars Red Frog Rum Bar(not to be confused with the RF Pub) and Blue Iguana Tequila Bar(not to be confused with the Cantina). I think there are now 4 waterslides. And then some minor "enhancements" to exisiting venues. The Magic isn't schedule for 2.0 until 2015.

Botht eh Breeze and the Dream have the Tandoori Grill...best buffet food on the ship...and the Breeze's Cucina operates like the Dream's Pasta Bar at lunch time.

And k2excursions....Yeppers, I know what and where K2 is, love the avatar. Never knew there was a street drug under the name. Like you, rather be dangerously high on K2(mountain) than dangerously high on K2 (drug).:)

Well, I have never been on the Carnival Dream or the Magic, but I have been on the Carnival Breeze. I have to say, if the shows are extremely important to you, I would choose the Dream or the Magic. If they are not extremely important, I would choose the Breeze. The Breeze has to be Carnival's best ship and my cruise on her was the BEST vacation I have ever had!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
You are partially correct about the mini golf & ropes course. Those are one deck higher than deck 12 & not shown on deck plans for deck 14. However, those are more midship rather than aft. What I was referring to was that Dream has an aft part of deck 14 that Magic & Breeze do not have. On Dream, this is where the basketball court is, and it overlooks the back of the ship. The Magic & Breeze put the basketball court one deck lower, which eliminated a little bit of public space. Not a huge amount, but it was some.

I wonder how the Magic and Breeze have the same gross tonnage as the Dream, if they are missing that deck area. Do the Magic and Breeze have some other space that makes up the gross tonnage?

The biggest issue with that move was that the steakhouse was moved to deck 5, eliminating the small lounge and cutting into the comedy club (which has been severely overcrowded). That small lounge eliminated on Magic & Breeze was not used for karaoke. A band would play in there. It was not a major popular spot, but it was used, and it gave another option for some live music that Magic & Breeze do not have.

The lounge that you referred to was used for karaoke some nights on the Dream. It was otherwise an under-utilized space.

Many people will not miss it, but it was cut out. It just seemed odd to me for Carnival to cut out some public space from the design when they didn't have to, and to then shrink the extremely popular comedy club when they didn't have to. If they wanted to eliminate that lounge to save money on the band, they should have used that space as a part of a bigger comedy club, and left the basketball court & steakhouse where the Dream has them. (Unless the ropes course somehow created an unseen issue, making it necessary to bring the basketball court down a level.)

On another thread, someone said that they steakhouse and basketball court were moved since, on the Dream, with the basketball court being above the steakhouse, they have to close the basketball court during the hours that the steakhouse was open. I'm guessing that the addition of the Italian restaurant maybe reduced the demmand for the steakhouse, so they felt a smaller location for the steakhouse was ok, and that it was more important to allow the basketball court to be open later. Maybe eliminating the song lounge could be because maybe the Red Frog pub reduced the demmand for that lounge? Reducing the size of the aft lounge was probably a mistake.

The real mystery is, why does the Magic and Breeze lack the hot tubs on Deck 11? Do the Magic and Breeze have additional hot tubs elsewhere that the Dream lacks? Or were the hot tubs underutilized? Or was there some other reason that they had to be removed?

Someone ask what the 2.0 upgrades ont he Dream were if no Guy's or Blue Iguana Cantina. I think it was a change of the comedy club to Punchliners and sticking on a brunch, adding the candy store (Please, Mayor Bloomberg, don't take a cruise:eek::rolleyes:)and renaming the two Lido deck bars Red Frog Rum Bar(not to be confused with the RF Pub) and Blue Iguana Tequila Bar(not to be confused with the Cantina). I think there are now 4 waterslides.

That is correct: the two main slides are Twister and Drainpipe. There are also 2 racer slides. In addition to these 4, there are also 2 kiddie slides.

Archived