Drinking age on Celebrity Reflection

lmags0923

Can anybody tell me what the drinking age is if leaving from Rome and cruising through the Mediterranean? Part of the reason for this trip is to celebrate my daughter's 21st, but she won't be 21 until July and the cruise is in June. Thanks!!!

21! I was at the Captain's Table on Silhouette when they carded a young man. He was 20, no wine for him.

Thanks Orator, much appreciated! Guess we'll just have to have our wine together while in port! ;)

You are on a Europe cruise so it is treated a little different. From the web site;

The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Celebrity Cruises ships sailing from North America is 21. The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Celebrity Cruises ships sailing from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is 18. In certain circumstances where local laws permit or require, Celebrity Cruises may modify this policy which may also require parent/guardian request/authorization. Guests may contact Guest Relations or refer to Celebrity Today for specific minimum drinking age information on their cruise vacation.

They will normally have you sign a waiver which is available prior to the cruise on the web site.

You are on a Europe cruise so it is treated a little different. From the web site;

The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Celebrity Cruises ships sailing from North America is 21. The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Celebrity Cruises ships sailing from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is 18. In certain circumstances where local laws permit or require, Celebrity Cruises may modify this policy which may also require parent/guardian request/authorization. Guests may contact Guest Relations or refer to Celebrity Today for specific minimum drinking age information on their cruise vacation.

They will normally have you sign a waiver which is available prior to the cruise on the web site.

You are correct.The incident I described was on a Caribbean cruise. The OP now has a complete and accurate answer.

According to the Celebrity web site, passengers age 18-20 may drink with signed parent permission when you sail from locations where the drinking age is 18. The minimum age of 21 is only on US sailings.

Well this certainly makes my day! Not that her father and I plan to get sloshed with her, but to enjoy a glass of wine with her dinner and not have to have a Shirley Temple!

Thank you!!! I probably will have a happier 20 year old who still plans on checking out the kids activities ;)

Our two 18+, but not yet 21 year olds definitely enjoyed the 18 year old drinking age on our prior Celebrity cruises from Europe. Also, there were lots of others on board in their same age group. It made for a great time and lasting friendships for them.

We did the waiver for our 18 yr old, who, living in the UK was appalled that he might not be able to have the occasional beer. We will do the same on Silhouette this summer, just go to guest services. He did find that once or twice he ordered a drink and they said no, as they didn't notice the small sticker on his card, and so had to show it to people so it was more obvious.

One of the terms on the waiver is that they can't buy drinks for anyone else - he liked that bit!

Would my 20-year od daughter sailing from NJ to Bermuda be permitted to partake with parental permission? Thanks!

I am reasonably sure the answer to your question is YES, even though your cruise originates in the US.

I believe the legal drinking age in many places in the Caibbean is 18 vice 21. (One of the reasons it's such a haven for college aged spring breakers)

The highlighted area of the policy quoted below, is usually viewed as "restrictive" in the sense of requiring a signed waiver even in Europe. It can also be interpreted as "permissive" in that a signed waiver MAY allow an 18-20 year old to sign for drinks on board, even when the cruise originates in the US, but is operating in areas where the legal drinking age is 18.

At least that was the similar policy, BUT ON ANOTHER CRUISE LINE, that allowed my 20 year son old to drink alcohol on board in the caribbean but NOT in US ports.

Call Celebrity to be sure.

I am reasonably sure the answer to your question is YES, even though your cruise originates in the US.

I believe the legal drinking age in many places in the Caibbean is 18 vice 21. (One of the reasons it's such a haven for college aged spring breakers)

The highlighted area of the policy quoted below, is usually viewed as "restrictive" in the sense of requiring a signed waiver even in Europe. It can also be interpreted as "permissive" in that a signed waiver MAY allow an 18-20 year old to sign for drinks on board, even when the cruise originates in the US, but is operating in areas where the legal drinking age is 18.

At least that was the similar policy, BUT ON ANOTHER CRUISE LINE, that allowed my 20 year son old to drink alcohol on board in the caribbean but NOT in US ports.

Call Celebrity to be sure.

Thank you, navyrotorhead. Your response is just what I was looking for. Obviously, I asked the question because I did not fully understand what was posted in post #5. Although I appreciated the response in the post, I felt there was still some gray area and thought I'd get another opinion. :D

I don't see the gray area you do.

The ship leaves from North America.

No waivers are provided, on Celebrity, unless the ship leaves from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand.

Other cruise lines may handle this differently, but Celebrity's rules are clear.

Last year we sailed the Equinox out of Rome, with our 19-yr-old daughter. We signed a parental permission slip and there was no problem. (Other than on night 5 when she went over her 1 drink mommy-imposed limit.)

You can also effectively "unsign" that permission slip:eek:!

A funny by-product of a "cash-less ship" is you can lie in bed and see what's being charged to your account...

Thank you, navyrotorhead. Your response is just what I was looking for. Obviously, I asked the question because I did not fully understand what was posted in post #5. Although I appreciated the response in the post, I felt there was still some gray area and thought I'd get another opinion. :D

Under 21 will not be able to drink on the Bermuda run, I was on it six months ago and spoke to someone in the same situation and it was enforced. There is no gray area.

Last year we sailed the Equinox out of Rome, with our 19-yr-old daughter. We signed a parental permission slip and there was no problem. (Other than on night 5 when she went over her 1 drink mommy-imposed limit.)

You can also effectively "unsign" that permission slip:eek:!

A funny by-product of a "cash-less ship" is you can lie in bed and see what's being charged to your account...

Yes, if you sign the waiver, it's very useful to be able to tell your 20 yr old that while you are quite sure they will be sensible, you will be able to see what they have charged to the room...However I do think a lot a 20 year olds in the UK find the policy restrictive, as many have by then been at Uni for 2 years, pretty much living independently for most of the time (socially if not financially). Then they get the same colour card as a. 10 year old...

Yes, if you sign the waiver, it's very useful to be able to tell your 20 yr old that while you are quite sure they will be sensible, you will be able to see what they have charged to the room...However I do think a lot a 20 year olds in the UK find the policy restrictive, as many have by then been at Uni for 2 years, pretty much living independently for most of the time (socially if not financially). Then they get the same colour card as a. 10 year old...

Agree, The case you mention is not unique to the UK. US colleges students are the same ages. And US military are often under 21, there is no logic to support the different legal drinking ages, it's totally subjective. It is what it is.

Archived