Feast at Lele (Maui)

jewels07

I really like the sound of this luau (table service, not buffet), and since we will probably only visit Hawaii once (it's 17 hours of flights from here) it's what I'd choose.

Problem: I have no idea how far the port (for Pride of America) is from the Luau, or how best to get there and back.

I think the luau is in Lahaina, and we dock in Kahului. Does anyone know the best way to get to/from there, or how much approx. a taxi would be?

One option is to take the shuttle bus to Lahaina in the early afternoon, then go to the luau, and worry about making our own way back in the evening, but are there taxis available, or should we pre-book one?

If you do some reading on this board, you will find the drive from Kahalui to Lahaina is about 45 minutes without traffic, and traffic is a possibility, particularly in the afternoon or early evening. That would make for a pretty expensive taxi ride.

Can't answer about a NCL shuttle, but many people rent cars.

There aren't many options...public bus isn't good & you don't want to drive to more fully enjoy the Feast at Lele...me too! After dinner we enjoyed walking along Front Street in Lahaina until we were okay to drive home.

So that only leaves a taxi at about $150 roundtrip or SpeediShuttle which from the airport is about $110 roundtrip for two passengers & is about the same distance as from the pier.

Maybe the NCL shuttle to Lahaina & a cab or shuttle back to the ship would be another option?

https://www.speedishuttle.com/reservations

http://lahainataxiservice.com/maui_taxi_rates

Edited by Astro Flyer

We have booked the Feast at Lele for our upcoming cruise and decided to book a car rental for the two days we are in port. You can have the use of a car for the entire port stay for the cost of one taxi ride that evening.

We'll probably just walk around a bit in town before we drive back to the ship but we are not heavy drinkers...

Jennifer

We will be docked in Lahaina. How far of a walk is it from the Feast at LeLe to the dock? Would there be cabs available after the Feast to go to the dock? We can't walk a very long distance.

Also, same questions for the OLL..... We will probably do one of these luaus, not sure which one at this point.

We will be docked in Lahaina. How far of a walk is it from the Feast at LeLe to the dock? Would there be cabs available after the Feast to go to the dock? We can't walk a very long distance.

Also, same questions for the OLL..... We will probably do one of these luaus, not sure which one at this point.

From where you step ashore to the address, maybe 5 blocks.

From where you step ashore to the address, maybe 5 blocks.

As Bruce said it's a doable walk from the Lahaina tender pier to the Feast at Lele but maybe not for you to the OLL. According to Google Maps it's a 21 minute, 1.1 mile walk to the OLL & to the Feast at Lele it's a 7 minute 4/10 of a mile walk.

Edited by Astro Flyer

You will not be dicked in Lahaina. It is a tender port.

As Bruce said it's a doable walk from the Lahaina tender pier to the Feast at Lele but maybe not for you to the OLL. According to Google Maps it's a 21 minute, 1.1 mile walk to the OLL & to the Feast at Lele it's a 7 minute 4/10 of a mile walk.

Yes, on distance alone the Feast at Lele would be given an edge over the OLL. Thanks.

Thank you for the response. I do know it's a tender port. I guess I should have said tender dock.

My thanks also to CruiserBruce for his response.:cool:

So it looks like FAL is out of the question, $150 (plus tip) on top of the cost of the luau is way too much. Shame.

So we are stuck with either attending one in Oahu the night before we sail on POA or the ships excursion on Kuaui (which doesn't get great reviews).

So it looks like FAL is out of the question, $150 (plus tip) on top of the cost of the luau is way too much. Shame.

So we are stuck with either attending one in Oahu the night before we sail on POA or the ships excursion on Kuaui (which doesn't get great reviews).

We really enjoyed the Smith Family Luau in Kauai. We did it through Robert's Hawaii so we wouldn't have to rent a car and worry about driving. We actually did it as a combination tour with the Wailua River & Fern Grotto which Robert's makes available once the Activity Schedule is available for your sail date. I would recommend this luau over the Oahu luaus or the ship luau in Kauai.

During our Transpacific and 12 day Hawaii we will visit Lahaina twice, so will do the Drums of the Pacific Luau and on the return trip do the Feast of Lele. We did the OLL Luau during our 08 Hawaii cruise and highly recommend it.

SunnyAZ how did you enjoy the Wailua River and Fern Grotto tour, I have signed up for that tour during the Hawaii trip.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

SunnyAZ how did you enjoy the Wailua River and Fern Grotto tour, I have signed up for that tour during the Hawaii trip.

It was a pleasant way to spend a few hours, but certainly not a highlight of the trip. As a add-on with the luau I would say it was nice and I would recommend it as we almost considered it to be a part of the luau experience. On it's own I probably would not recommend it. There are better options out there. Kind of like a glass bottom boat tour vs a great snorkel or scuba experience is the best way I can compare it.

The Husband and daughter are doing the Zip Line, but because I pulled a muscle several years ago and is prone to act up now & then if I over do something, felt I better stay off the zip line, otherwise I would love to do it. In looking over the tours offered, i was having a hard time figuring out what to do.

Gay

I agree that the OLL is the best Hawaiian luau but I enjoyed the Feast at Lele more. Both have great entertainment but I enjoyed the food & drinks at Lele more. Lele is a Polynesian dinner show on the beach with table service; OLL is a great Hawaiian luau with buffet served food.

Either one would be great & it's just a matter of what type of an experience desired and can't go wrong with either of them! :D

• 8 months later...