Swirls on Royal Princess

jt58203

Assuming it's the same as the rest of the fleet soft serve is free, but the milkshakes cost extra (although they are covered by the UKP sticker.)

Swirls is a dining venue so wondering if that makes a difference:

Dining and Snacks: Three main dining rooms, Chef's Table Lumiere, Wine Cellar dining, Sabatini's Italian Restaurant, Crown Grill – Steak and Seafood, Gelato – gelateria serving ice cream & Italian crepes, International Café – coffee, snacks and light meals, Tea Tower, Vines Wine Bar, Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar, Alfredo's Pizzeria, Horizon Court Buffet, Pastry Shop, Prego – Poolside pizza, Trident Grill – Hamburger and hot dog grill, Swirls – Ice cream bar, Ultimate Balcony Dining, 24-hour room service

Just wondering if Swirls Ice Cream bar is included in the cruise fare or a pay extra place.

there are two ice cream venues on the Royal.

The first is the soft serve froyo which is included. The second is an ice cream shop in the piazza. You can get gelato , sundaes and milkshakes for a set amount or one punch in your coffee card.

Just wondering if Swirls Ice Cream bar is included in the cruise fare or a pay extra place.
Swirls on Lido deck is included, i.e., it's free soft-served ice cream. The Gelato bar on Plaza deck in the Piazza is an extra charge as it's specialty gelato ice cream.

Assuming it's the same as the rest of the fleet soft serve is free, but the milkshakes cost extra (although they are covered by the UKP sticker.)

The Swirls on the Royal unfortunately doesn't serve milkshakes. It's tiny and only serves soft ice-cream.

• 2 months later...
do we get complimentary hard serve ice cream with Cone in the Horizon Court and the MDR?
The HC used to have wonderful (free) make-your-own ice cream sundaes between 3:30-4:30pm but people objected to having to go to the HC for it. At the time, the ice cream by the pool was hard but there was a small fee. They wanted it free. So now there's free soft serve but no ice cream in the HC. There's wonderful "home made " ice cream in the dining room for lunch and dinner.

• 2 weeks later...

The gelato on the Royal is delicious. If you don't have a coffee card, the cost is only $2.75 for 3 scoops of gelato, or for the same price they offer delicious sundaes and even banana splits. For those of us that don't buy the coffee card, I thought this was very reasonable.

The Swirls on the Royal unfortunately doesn't serve milkshakes. It's tiny and only serves soft ice-cream.

From what we were told by the swirls guy on the Royal was that you can not get a milkshake anywhere on the Royal, the bars will only make smoothies!

Nice photos Dave!

Ken

Edited by A1A

The gelato on the Royal is delicious. If you don't have a coffee card, the cost is only $2.75 for 3 scoops of gelato..... For those of us that don't buy the coffee card, I thought this was very reasonable.

Not quite as reasonable as on the Ruby, Crown and Emerald where the price is $1.50 for three scoops.

Not quite as reasonable as on the Ruby, Crown and Emerald where the price is $1.50 for three scoops.

The three scoops I got on Ruby Princess were quite a bit smaller than the three scoops I got on Royal Princess. Maybe that's the reason for the cost difference.

We were told by a F&B Director that the Royal Princess is the only Princess ship with true gelato. The others simply offer the same ice cream made the same way as what's served in the dining room for free at lunch and dinner desserts. I truly can't stand Princess ice creams (they're all made from the same pre-packaged ice cream base) and have never had the gelato on the Royal Princess to determine if it's any better.

Princess sorbets, OTOH, are hard to resist.

Size on the Emerald shown below.

That's pretty much how I remembered it, smaller scoops in a designer display tray. The ones on Royal Princess were closer to being the same size that were used for a sundae, and served in a bowl/cup. I also thought the gelato on Ruby Princess was inferior in flavor and taste to what I had on Royal Princess, which was richer and closer to ice cream.

The treats at Gelato on the Royal Princess are excellent. The photo from post #8 looks very familiar! ;) The banana split was beyond delicious!!! Thank you again David!! :D

Hi John!

That was the final evening of our Royal Princess B2B, after several of us had dined on pulled pork sandwiches from the Trident Grill and watched the world disappear behind us from the Outrigger Bar. We all agreed to wrap it up at Gelato, and we pigged out on splits and sundaes. It was a great way to end the best cruise!!! :D

11377259165_01d6679abd_c.jpg

We were told by a F&B Director that the Royal Princess is the only Princess ship with true gelato. The others simply offer the same ice cream made the same way as what's served in the dining room for free at lunch and dinner desserts.

Interesting, as I had head the same thing from one of the F&B personnel on Royal Princess. It really was quite different than what I had the year before on Ruby Princess.

We were told by a F&B Director that the Royal Princess is the only Princess ship with true gelato. The others simply offer the same ice cream made the same way as what's served in the dining room for free at lunch and dinner desserts. I truly can't stand Princess ice creams (they're all made from the same pre-packaged ice cream base) and have never had the gelato on the Royal Princess to determine if it's any better.

Princess sorbets, OTOH, are hard to resist.

Either the F&B Director is correct or the Gelato menu which said to "enjoy hand-crafted ice-cream, prepared daily by our Pastry Chef"? :confused:

image.jpg.750a791c2661eaafc61f9426beafd9b4.jpg

Edited by Astro Flyer

Either the F&B Director is correct or the Gelato menu which said to "enjoy hand-crafted ice-cream, prepared daily by our Pastry Chef"? :confused:

The Italian word 'gelato' in English means 'ice cream'. Maybe they are using the words interchangeably, but the end result products are still different?