Viking Mandalay and Bangkok

Arizonasunshine

It seems like Viking is living up to its reputation of non communication during a crisis. We are booked on the January 21st Road to Mandalay Trip. It starts and ends in Bangkok. The hotel while not in the protest area is near the protest area. I expected to hear something from Viking about their perspective of the protests, what to avoid, someone to meet us at the airport to get us SAFELY to our hotel (we booked our own air well before the crisis). We have not heard a thing. It seems like their past performance during the flooding in Europe is the way they continue do business. The negative reviews they received during this crisis and the ire of the passengers involved has had little effect on their current customer relations.

Have you actually contacted Viking and asked for help or were you just expecting they would issue some sort of comment unprompted?

I'm not entirely sure what is worrying you though unless I've missed some reports of violence or disruption to tourism?

Given you decided not to use Viking's transfers and have made your own arrangements, you are probably not on their radar as far as airport transfers go, especially if you are not arriving at the same time as others who are using their transfers, and by now it is probably too late to change that.

From what I read though I doubt you will have problems as mass transit and taxis etc. seem to be running still.

Hope it all works out for you, but I'm just not clear what you were expecting to get from Viking given you elected to make your own travel arrangements?

It seems like Viking is living up to its reputation of non communication during a crisis. We are booked on the January 21st Road to Mandalay Trip. It starts and ends in Bangkok. The hotel while not in the protest area is near the protest area. I expected to hear something from Viking about their perspective of the protests, what to avoid, someone to meet us at the airport to get us SAFELY to our hotel (we booked our own air well before the crisis). We have not heard a thing. It seems like their past performance during the flooding in Europe is the way they continue do business. The negative reviews they received during this crisis and the ire of the passengers involved has had little effect on their current customer relations.

Dear Arizonasunshine,

We have been monitoring the situation closely and have received repeated assurances from our local contacts that it is under control. If you have any specific concerns that you would like to discuss – whether it’s now, during your trip, or after you return home – please don’t hesitate to contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

We hope you enjoyed your time in Cambodia and are looking forward to exploring Thailand and Myanmar.

Sincerely,

Viking Cruises

• 2 weeks later...
Have you actually contacted Viking and asked for help or were you just expecting they would issue some sort of comment unprompted?

I'm not entirely sure what is worrying you though unless I've missed some reports of violence or disruption to tourism?

Given you decided not to use Viking's transfers and have made your own arrangements, you are probably not on their radar as far as airport transfers go, especially if you are not arriving at the same time as others who are using their transfers, and by now it is probably too late to change that.

From what I read though I doubt you will have problems as mass transit and taxis etc. seem to be running still.

Hope it all works out for you, but I'm just not clear what you were expecting to get from Viking given you elected to make your own travel arrangements?

Yes I think that Viking could have been more proactive. Viking has my e-mail address and has no problem being proactive in marketing their cruises. A timely statement like the one sent in response to my e-mail by "Tell us at Viking" would have been nice.

Edited by Arizonasunshine

How was the Mandalay cruise?

We are thinking about doing this 2015....but can't decide which line will be best. One of my viking questions is how long is the bus ride to/from Yangoon?

I hope some Viking cruisers will report soon. The trip through Bankok will be interesting.

For our Pandaw cruise last year the (comfortable, air-con) coach trip from Yangon to Pyay (Prome) took about 6 hours. We had two comfort stops, the first at the World War II Cemetery just outside Yangon. I enjoyed the view from the bus windows, the local transport, the villages, the paddy fields, the people.

Myanmar is a fascinating destination, the welcome, generosity and hospitality of the people are unsurpassed any where I have travelled on seven continents.

I have read elsewhere that Viking are leasing a large boat from Pandaw, other reports say it is a new boat, similar to Pandaw boats. My report on our cruise is currently at the bottom of this page.

How was the Mandalay cruise?

We are thinking about doing this 2015....but can't decide which line will be best. One of my viking questions is how long is the bus ride to/from Yangoon?

It is 7 long hours,which we were not expecting. We also spent a lot of time 'filling time' and not cruising!!!

Check your itinerary carefully as it sounds wonderful but is often not so.

Shore excursions are large and unwieldy...a lot of time spent standing around and waiting for the other 50 passengers!!! Disappointing.

Food is wonderful and crew amazing. Myanmar is not to be missed but check all available venues.

thanks for the info on the bus ride...not what we want to do. Grand Circle flies I believe.

Large groups especially older folks on those stops could be ungainly.

those of you who have take the Grand Circle what are your thoughts.

Any thoughts about other itineraries?

thanks for the info on the bus ride...not what we want to do. Grand Circle flies I believe.

Large groups especially older folks on those stops could be ungainly.

those of you who have take the Grand Circle what are your thoughts.

Any thoughts about other itineraries?

Friends of ours did Craig Travel...a land program and loved it. You don't get to unpack once but fly between destinations . They visited Inle Lake which is meant to be wonderful and we're very happy with their accommodations. I believe they spent a short time on the river. Have a look...You don't get the life along the river, which is intriguing but you avoid the other annoyances.

The Country is bending over backwards to welcome tourists but the general feeling of the cruise is that Viking needs to do some serious tweeking of the itinerary.

They have a staff second to none but some program directors aren't up to the job.

• 1 month later...

We are registered for a December 2014 Burma river cruise with Viking and now that several have occurred am wondering if any of my Cruise Critic comrades can give a detailed review of the trip - starting with the hotel in Bangkok, flight to Burma, river cruise itself and hotel in Yangon. This will be our first trip with Viking, (have taken other group trips with other vendors and loved them), so I am looking for any guidance the forum members can provide.

We are registered for a December 2014 Burma river cruise with Viking and now that several have occurred am wondering if any of my Cruise Critic comrades can give a detailed review of the trip - starting with the hotel in Bangkok, flight to Burma, river cruise itself and hotel in Yangon. This will be our first trip with Viking, (have taken other group trips with other vendors and loved them), so I am looking for any guidance the forum members can provide.

Both hotels are good. Bangkok hotel right on the river with easy access to all.

The boat is great fun (like going to summer camp), small cabins, wonderful food and staff and interesting stops.

We felt like we were on a bus cruise some days as too much time was spent on buses. The bus trip to Yangon is 8 plus hours. The 1st. stop is acceptable with adequate facilities but the next two not so much. Perhaps forego breakfast that morning!!!

Hopefully Viking will have corrected some of these issues for you.