Bermuda Beach Warning

FIRELT5

Thanks for getting the word out there!! The more this becomes public the more likely action will be taken after tourism slows down.

This happens in Detroit every time the storm drains overflow. They test and close the beaches.

Look forward to updates and reolution. Thanks again

Thanks for getting the word out there!! The more this becomes public the more likely action will be taken after tourism slows down.

This happens in Detroit every time the storm drains overflow. They test and close the beaches.

Look forward to updates and reolution. Thanks again

This also happens on the Jersey Shore when we receive heavy rain as the sewer over flow

In NYC and the prevailing wind & Tide force the effluent to the shore. The water is tested daily by the state.

I also have a concern with some of the private Islands with RCL, ie Labadee & CoCoCay.

NCL Great Stirrup Cay.

Edited by FIRELT5

Ya know what?

We swim at the Jersey Shore every year. If I've never got sick from swimming in the ocean there, then I ain't getting sick in Bermuda.

We used to swim at Orchard Beach in the Bronx when we were kids, but that was a loooooong time ago.

Geez I hope I'm right!

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Edited by meatball_nyc

Ya know what?

We swim at the Jersey Shore every year. If I've never got sick from swimming in the ocean there, then I ain't getting sick in Bermuda.

We used to swim at Orchard Beach in the Bronx when we were kids, but that was a loooooong time ago.

Geez I hope I'm right!

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

The Water quality at the Jersey shore has improved over the years. On some days you may have some beach closures due to elevated pathogens.

All of Bermuda raw sewage is pumped out to sea. Bermuda doesn't have sewage plants.

When you mix grease(from restaurants) raw sewage, sea weed, you have tarballs, lol.

Edited by FIRELT5

Ya know what?

Geez I hope I'm right!

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Water at the beaches in NJ is far cleaner today than it was years ago. It's relatively uncommon now for beaches to be closed due to pollution, and when it does happen it's generally due to excess rain water run off overwhelming sewage treatment plant capacity, or a plant breakdown. These situations are cleared up quickly...it either stops raining so hard or the town repairs the broken sewage treatment plant.

The difference between here and Bermuda is that we have reasonably adequate sewage treatment plants but Bermuda doesn't. Bermuda dumps raw sewage in the ocean. We rarely do.

Awww man. I don't want to have to worry about my vacation.

I know the ocean in Jersey is much cleaner now. I've been swimming in it in Wildwood NJ since I was a year old!!!

In Bermuda I guess we just have to take a chance? My son and I love the ocean so much, but I don't want us to get sick.

This is just shocking.

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Edited by meatball_nyc

Can anyone recommend beaches NOT on the South Shore? Thanks!

I would guess the South Shore beaches are cleaner than other beaches. Look at a map. Most sewage is going to come from Hamilton. That said I have read of problems at Elbow Beach a number of years ago which is th closesr South Shore beach to Hamilton. Also read once there was a sewage outflow in the vicinity of Tobacco Bay. I have seen pipes outflowing near Ft. Catherine.

Bermuda does not have a sewage plant so it's been like it is forever. Most Caribbean Islands don't have sewage plants either.

Edited by Charles4515

Awww man. I don't want to have to worry about my vacation.

I know the ocean in Jersey is much cleaner now. I've been swimming in it in Wildwood NJ since I was a year old!!!

In Bermuda I guess we just have to take a chance? My son and I love the ocean so much, but I don't want us to get sick.

This is just shocking.

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

I am not shocked. Small islands like Bermuda with population 50,000 don't generally have water treatment plants. I have been going to Bermuda beaches for years and have never gotten sick. The population of Jersey is in the millions with several hundred miles of shore.

I will be going to the beach in Bermuda in June and I am more concerned about water temperature and Jelly fish. Generally now I stick to Horseshoe Bay and that is not exactly a population center.

Edited by Charles4515

I found this fairly good website about Bermuda and we may hit Shelly Bay Beach instead this July. It looks like it is on the north side away from potential problems.

http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_00000e.htm

Unfortunately from the comments I have been reading on other sites, the locals seem to be saying that they don't feel the north side is any better. That seems to be just personal opinion & not based on any testing. It's a really disappointing situation; I have been really looking forward to our first trip to Bermuda this summer & this really has me considering canceling & going somewhere different.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm pretty upset, too.

How is it possible to go to a place like Bermuda and not go in the water?

ETA: we've been planning this trip since last summer and have a group of 10 family members going. Some even have excursions booked for snorkeling. I don't even want to think about canceling!!!

~Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Edited by meatball_nyc