Holiday Inn NY Laguardia Hotel anyone stayed

ilovelucy

I have never stayed there but I think I parked there or nearby. It's a congested area next to a MAJOR highway. It's very urban. You can't walk anywhere. For one night especially if you are getting in late & leaving early it will be OK but it's not exactly a garden / vacation spot. Something closer to the pier might give you a bit more of a magical NYC feel.

You may want to ask on the East Coast departures board or check the sister site, TripAdvisor.com

We have stayed at the Hampton Inn LaGuardia for one night before the cruise and got a cab in the morning to the pier. No Problem except that the Hampton has no restaurant or room service. We ordered out at a place that had delivery to the hotel.

It's not an ideal area for sightseeing or anything of that nature. Being a native New Yorker, my advice would be to stay closer in Manhattan itself. Since it's January, if you get stuck with a snowstorm, what should be a 25 minute drive to the pier, could turn into a few hour drive.

OP, are you planning to drive to Queens/NY from RI and stay one night pre-cruise (which line/ship)? It is in the Corona section of Queens, 4 blocks to the No.7 subway train, which frequently have weekend service change (limited runs or shuttled bus) for maintenance & track work - not much to do/eat in the area (depending on your needs & expectations) - looked to be a bit overpriced, IMO for a basic 2 to 2.5 stars property.

Have you check prices & availability on Priceline or Hotwire? Book it as a fall-back with 100% cancellation and keep looking around for deals? If driving & it's Friday or Saturday for 1 night, it's possible to find on-street parking in neighborhoods like Long Island City and/or hotels closer to the actual LaGuardia Airport with better prices. Checkout prices & option on Fairfield Inn by Marriott, 5 minutes from nearby downtown Flushing & just off I-678 South coming off the Whitestone Bridge.

You might want to consider staying in Long Island City. Its 1 or 2 subway stops to Manhattan with lots of restaurants and is safe. A cab ride to the pier should be cheap because you are right by the bridge. I wouldn't recommend staying by La Guardia, mainly because there isn't a whole lot to do. I also feel the area where the hotel is can be a little sketch. I wouldn't worry to much about the 7 Train unless you are planning on riding it a lot. I ride it almost every day and if there is construction there are clear directions on what to do.

The Holiday Inn in Long Island City has a great Brazilian Churrascaria and its only $25 a person. I actually like the food better there then I had on the Star at Moderno. The hotel also looks really nice (and new).

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks everyone so much for all of your help!!! I probably will not be staying there, will check on the one in long Island now!

Your all so great!

You want the Holiday Inn Long Island CITY. That is the name of the Queens neighborhood where it is located. It is directly across the East River from Manhattan.

Don't get it confused with the several other Holiday Inns on Long Island.

Another one to check for is the La Quinta in Long Island City, directly on busy & lively Queens Blvd. and it's 3 city blocks to the nearest No.7 subway elevated station. Fast food and 7-11 store around the corners and everything else a 3 to 5 minutes walk, and a taxi/car service ride into Manhattan/Cruise Pier would be faster & less expensive.

Parking your own car might be a challenge as it's commercialized (on street metered parking) unless you drive around to look & park at nearby residential blocks further away (no resident zone/permit parking ... yet, unlike downtown Boston, MA) Unlike the HI LaGuardia in Corona, don't believe this La Quinta hotel offer guest parking free or even for a charge (nor, does the Fairfield Inn by Marriott in Astoria, about 15 to 20 blocks away - which I happened to drove past earlier this week while heading toward LGA Airport.) The FI is also next to the Grand Central Pkwy on the side of the service road & 6 to 7 blocks to the nearest N/Q subway station.

As always, use Google Map's Street View to pre-screen & checkout the neighborhood & location of these hotels first - at least one of them use a misleading town/neighborhood name in its advertisement on a popular hotel booking site, which I see here on CC's webpages. Long Island City is a very specific section of Queens County (Borough) within NYC and not the same as Long Island that it is a part of (but, almost 100 miles long to the East End/Twin Forks.)

Keep searching & booking for deals/bargains as January being the middle of winter in NY, hotel rates should be discounted & not heavily marked up - especially with more inventory opening up in the outer boroughs.

Edited by mking8288

You want the Holiday Inn Long Island CITY. That is the name of the Queens neighborhood where it is located. It is directly across the East River from Manhattan.

Don't get it confused with the several other Holiday Inns on Long Island.

Really good point! If you ask about booking in one of the outer boroughs like Queens, please post back with what you have chosen so these knowledgeable posters can comment, if necessary.

There is a Holiday Inn in 57th Street and 9th Avenue.

Technically walking distance or very short cab ride to the pier.

More $$ but closer to the pier and no worries about traffic in cruising day!

Bonus: and you're walking distance from Columbus Circle and Central Park. And not a bad walk from the stores on 5th Ave, Rockefeller Ctr., Times Square, Radio City and Broadway shows.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If I were driving from RI, I wouldn't bother crossing over to stay in Queens. I'd stay in CT somewhere, if I didn't just drive the whole thing on the day of the cruise.

I agree, but the OP used to live in Queens and is familiar with the area. I don't know if they are doing a park/sleep or not. I always advise that folks from New England try to get at least a 3* hotel on Hotwire in Stamford or Greenwich and take the cars only parkway route to the Manhattan pier after rush hour the following morning. This involves cutting across I287 to the Hutchinson River Parkway, then the Cross County Parkway, the Saw mill River Parkway, and the Henry Hudson Parkway ($5 toll) directly to the cruise terminal. This route has no trucks, avoids I95 (the infamous Cross Bronx Expressway), and has 1 block of NYC street driving.

I can provide more details on this. Our family frequently uses Hotwire for Stamford hotels to attend family functions in the area. We have gotten the Hampton Inn and the Sheraton in downtown Stamford and have been very happy with those hotels.

Edited by 138east