Guarantee balcony upgrade

faceartistx

Possibly - but also possible is that someone already in a balcony will be upgraded to a suite, opening up that balcony cabin for you.

The cruise is just a few days away, so don't they normally do upgrades before now? I thought if I booked this close to the date, it would just assign my room right away.

The cruise is just a few days away, so don't they normally do upgrades before now? I thought if I booked this close to the date, it would just assign my room right away.
It isn't unheard of to receive notice of an upgrade at check-in, although most are done prior to then. My father-in-law once received his cabin assignment as he was on his way to the port. Cabin assignments happen all the way up to check-in. If you don't have your cabin number before arriving at the pier, the porters will have a list so your bags will get to your cabin.

No balconies available does not mean that all have been assigned. There could be 5 unfilled balcony guarantees (including you) and 5 balconies unassigned.

They could also upgrade someone else to a mini and put you into what had been their balcony