Navigator mattresses

We're on NOS in May and I read somewhere about the beds being terribly hard on NOS. Anyone out there with an opinion on the beds on NOS. I'm pretty much a "sleep princess" and our last few cruises were on Celebrity and they have fantastic mattresses on their beds. Help.

Teanne

3 times in the past year and I don't recall them being any worse (or better) than any other mattress in a cruise ship. Far better than the Princess cruises I've been on. Maybe not as nice as the newer mattresses on the newer Celebrity ships. (get a Celebrity ship right before dry dock and I find them just as lumpy as any other older mattress).

That being said, if you get a real "lemon" you can ask for an entirely new mattress and they'll do their best to replace it. Not saying it will be any better, though. But worth a try. I've not heard any serious complaints on my recent Nav cruises, though.

I have a bad back, and my BF is the PICKIEST dang guy as far as bedding, and for us it wasn't an issue.

Oddly the best cruise bed I ever had was "back in the day" on Carnival Comfort mattress. I could ALMOST go back for the beds and the chocolate melting cake! :D

Yep, hard as a board for my Mom and I 3 weeks go. :mad: My Mom ended up asking for 5 extra pillows and actually slept on top of those! That was too uneven for me, so I had about 3 mattress pads and 3 blankets (doubled up) on my bed trying to soften it up. May have to budget for bringing my own foam/eggcrate pad next time... I asked out cabin steward, but he said they were all in use and he didn't have any to provide for us.

The replaced all the old mattresses a couple of years ago...with "pillow tops"....the old mattresses were awful...the new ones are much better!

Definitely not pillow-tops in cabins 7382, 7680, & 7682 as we had those 3 cabins last month and were all extremely hard and flat without pillow-top section.

We stayed in a Jr. Suite last June and don't remember the mattress being as hard, and was OK with an extra mattress pad and blanket underneath, but I went back and looked at my picture I took as we were flipping the mattress and remaking the bed ourselves with the extra padding, and it wasn't pillow-top either.

Was on Navigator last month. (#7388) Knew from the last time on Nav that the mattresses were super hard, so emailed them a few weeks before the cruise to request an eggcrate topper. It was on the bed when we arrived, and it made a *huge* difference.

-gina-

Edited by crazy4themouse

I've been on Navigator 12 times in the past year in different staterooms. I can't say that any of them had a bad mattress.

You can request a eggcrate top from your stateroom attendant. I would do it right away cause they sometimes run out of them.

crazy4thmouse, can you share the email address to request in advance for a eggcrate for the mattress? I'm traveling with a friend who has shoulder problems and I was planning to ask for one on arrival....but it would be great to get it taken care of in advance.

I've also considered buying an inexpensive eggcrate and leaving it in the packaging and checking it with the luggage. Anyone have experience with that?

Thanks for all the help. That's what I love about these boards!

crazy4thmouse, can you share the email address to request in advance for a eggcrate for the mattress? I'm traveling with a friend who has shoulder problems and I was planning to ask for one on arrival....but it would be great to get it taken care of in advance.

Based on others' recommendations, I just emailed the special_needs@rccl.com address. (Note there's an underscore between special and needs) Just checked my email records - I emailed them a couple of months before we sailed, and received a reply back the same day stating that the request would be passed on to the ship and the topper would be on the bed when we got there. And it was! :)

I hated clogging up the special needs department, but I really can't sleep on a super hard mattress and knew I had a rough time of it last February. So until they come up with a "special requests" email, the above is the one to use!

-gina-

The only problem here is that mattresses are not all necessarily replaced at drydock. Seems like they change them out on a rotating basis - as some get too bad, they are replaced as needed - would account for variations from one cabin to another, along with the fact that we all have different preferences.

Thanks everyone for your advice and info. I've sent an email to RCCL requesting an eggcrate mattress if they havent replaced the one in our cabin with a pillow top. We'll see what they say. I have no problem going through their "special needs" dept. I feel that since there are 10 in our group, this one request shouldn't be too much of a problem. I usually cruise Celebrity and they have great beds-nice and soft and good quality but not sure about RCCL. I will post on here when I hear from RC.

Teanne