Be Glad You are not on a TA Cruise

AFT_LOVER

I've also taken two transatlantic cruises. We had a terrific storm on one crossing with 107 mph winds and seas of 25-30 feet. Still it was one of the best cruises we've ever had. Nothing beats a transatlantic cruise from interesting ports to relaxing sea days. I wish I could do them all the time!

Garry

Am I the only one that is getting tired of the comment "no credit or no compensation given"? You got a port that wasn't planned, everyone was safe, weather happens and if you read the brochures it is stressed cruise lines have the right to change itineraries. this was for a good reason. We are about to cruise on the new NCL ship from Dover to NY via the viking route, if we miss Iceland I would be very unhappy, but I would not expect anything in return and I know planning any cruise in Sept or early Oct is chancy. If we spend 7 or the 10 days at sea, so be it, I know we are going to have a blast. NMNita

Rita, I am with you.

I was on the Summit to Alaska cruise in May when one day and one port were lopped off due to a mechanical problem.

We were offered $300 in shipboard credit, 25 percent off a fture cruise and comlpensation for any change in flight, any necessary one-nuight stayover in Vancouver and other help. I can still hear the bitchin! Sure, I was disappointed, but I thought Celebrity was more than fair.

Garry, I too have made two TAs, with another one booked in October, and I would go again in a heartbeat. Love those long lazy days at sea. Hurricane? I trust the captain to go around them.

love

joan

No sympathy for lack of compensation or itinerary changes here.

You go on the ocean, you take your chances.

I couldn't agree more...you're on the OCEAN. Celebrity doesn't owe anyone anything for missed ports, especially due to sea conditions. Geez, I don't understand this feeling of "entitlements" that people have nowadays. We are becoming a "what's in it for me society", and I for one, feel it's petty and self-serving.

Karyn

Last Sept we had Iceland cancelled due to Hurricane Lilli, now Greenland/Norway & Iceland have Hurricane Irene calling by Saturday................

Wonder if they get to go to Vigo Spain like we did - Yawn!

I am not glad!!!!! We really enjoy Trans Aatlantic cruises, Smooth sailing or rough, who cares (hurricanes excluded)

Phil

What do you think is appropriate compensation when they CANCEL your cruise? We had booked Century for April 2006 to the caribbean. About 2 months ago, the cruise went code red. (I called X twice they told me it was sold out). A couple weeks ago, we were told that it was cancelled, because they decided to move Century back to Europe in February (I guess in anticipation of the drydock).

All we were offered was price protection if we booked another week on Century (big deal, the weeks available in January and February were all cheaper than what we were paying for April) and $100 onboard credit. ONLY if we rebooked on Century.

I happen to have a very good TA and he managed to get the $100 transferred to a different ship, but the price protection was not carried over.\

I'm satisfied with what I got, but I've seen others comment that they've been compensated with considerable discounts when their cruises were cancelled.

Any comments?

What do you think is appropriate compensation when they CANCEL your cruise? We had booked Century for April 2006 to the caribbean. About 2 months ago, the cruise went code red. (I called X twice they told me it was sold out). A couple weeks ago, we were told that it was cancelled, because they decided to move Century back to Europe in February (I guess in anticipation of the drydock).

All we were offered was price protection if we booked another week on Century (big deal, the weeks available in January and February were all cheaper than what we were paying for April) and $100 onboard credit. ONLY if we rebooked on Century.

I happen to have a very good TA and he managed to get the $100 transferred to a different ship, but the price protection was not carried over.\

I'm satisfied with what I got, but I've seen others comment that they've been compensated with considerable discounts when their cruises were cancelled.

Any comments?

What a pain for you. I do want to add one thing though, normally there is no compensation for cancelled or changed cruises with so much notice. It is a disappointment of course, but you have many options. Cancelled cruises offer great compensation if it happens a week or so prior to sailing and only then.

We were also on the Constellation TA cruise, where we made the port call at Vigo in place of the Iceland visit. While most of the folks that we associated with would rather have made the Iceland port call, everyone was of the opinion that Celebrity had made the right decision in avoiding the north Atlantic during the heavy weather. Most of us would have been more interested in a port call in the Azores, but we felt that Celebrity made their best effort to provide the best cruise possible under the circumstances.

We very much enjoyed the total cruise experience, and felt that there was no reason for X to reward us for the vagaries of the weather. We had hit some heavy weather in the north atlantic on a previous TA on the Enchantment of the Seas in Sept of '97 between Iceland and Halifax. In that case we had 65K winds and 40 ft waves for a couple of days, and the weather decks were off limits for some time, and we had some moderate motion of the ship. Quite a few people had some motion sickness symptoms, but most folks made the best of the situation, and most of us still enjoyed the experience.

Safety is the cruise lines first concern, and meeting the passengers expectations is a primary objective. I for one am satisfied that RCi has their priorities straight, and find no reason to question their judgement. I still love the TA cruises with the relaxed sea days and interesting ports of call.

Petert

I do want to add one thing though, normally there is no compensation for cancelled or changed cruises with so much notice. It is a disappointment of course, but you have many options. Cancelled cruises offer great compensation if it happens a week or so prior to sailing and only then.

That makes a lot of sense Nita, thanks for explaining it to me! :)

With all due respect I also do not understand the OP's need to post this. You paid for a cruise for however many nights and that's what you got.

I'm booked on my first TA in October. I am well aware of the risks associated with cruising during this time of year. I expect Celebrity to give me a 14 night cruise. If we have to change some ports I'm fine with that. I'm so excited about this cruise that I hate to see threads like this. I KNOW I will enjoy this cruise and no one is going to change my mind about that!

Terri

I agree with teedee. What is the OP's reason for starting this thread? Give a weather report or 'stir the pot'? And I don't know why this particular OP would even care about the ports as all her time seems to be spent on that super huge CC balcony!:D

Let's talk about cruising, not reach this far to get people riled up!:o

Quit beating up on the OP. He may just be posting an FYI to those who book trans crossings without realizing there can be changes due to north Atlantic weather.

I was on his cruise. I was sorry we missed Iceland because I will probably never get there again. Vigo was OK but I would have rather gone to Canary islands! Everyone had different feelings that week but we (most, anyway) all had a grand time.

I don't understand the problem with Vigo, Spain when the alternative could be drowning, or at the very least getting very wet and/or seasick.

Why do some cruisers feel that they are so special that they are not subject to weather conditions? Perhaps they should do their cruising on the Travel Channel from the security of their own recliners, where they won't have to deal with the variables of the ocean and the weather.

Susan

Quit beating up on the OP. He may just be posting an FYI to those who book trans crossings without realizing there can be changes due to north Atlantic weather.

I was on his cruise. I was sorry we missed Iceland because I will probably never get there again. Vigo was OK but I would have rather gone to Canary islands! Everyone had different feelings that week but we (most, anyway) all had a grand time.

sorry, wish I could agree with you, but I think he/she is stirring up the pot as someone said. Anyone who doesn't realize Sept and hurricanes go together isn't living in the real world. I do agree they may not realize the North Atlantic can be hit as well, but what good is it doing to bring this up now? Most who are traveling in the next 2 months(heavy season) have already booked and the best we can do is hurry. We too want to see Iceland and the wild life; this is one reason we choose this ititnerary and cancelled our Celebrity cruise for Oct, but we will have a great time regardless. NMNita

I am not sure anyone is beating up on HER, but the title of her post "be glad you are not on a TA cruise" in my view is, just plain nonsense.

Phil

Yep, we are in total agreement here, too much time spent out on that balconey.:D

I agree with teedee. What is the OP's reason for starting this thread? Give a weather report or 'stir the pot'? And I don't know why this particular OP would even care about the ports as all her time seems to be spent on that super huge CC balcony!:D

Let's talk about cruising, not reach this far to get people riled up!:o

Archived