Anthem sails from Southampton

Yesterday saw the first 'authentic' departure of Anthem of the Seas with paying passengers from Southampton...

17054776290_2a0c4ca0c0_z.jpg

She had been berthed at Southampton's 'City Terminal'. I much prefer cruise ships that are berthed there to be 'bows-on' to Mayflower Park, taking the view that bow shots are more spectacular. However, it wasn't to be...

17242321635_de70ebb7ac_z.jpg

Having pushed herself off her berth at the City Terminal she then proceeded to go into reverse past where I was now standing on Town Quay...

17242321355_4b3df2ab11_z.jpg

Once past Town Quay and she was adjacent the Ocean Terminal...

17242321785_951983b444_z.jpg

..Anthem did a spin turn before heading off down the Solent...

17216363986_3ce7950ebd_z.jpg

By departing this way I did get a great view of the giraffe...

17242321455_84225cf911_z.jpg

So why do you think the Naming ceremony was not an authentic departure?

#I am sure the owners and VIP quests, Godmother and all others might think differentley.

Just because there are now paying guests onboard does not make it any more authentic than the short 2 day naming ceremony.

#I am sure the owners and VIP quests, Godmother and all others might think differentley.

Just because there are now paying guests onboard does not make it any more authentic than the short 2 day naming ceremony.

There are so many pre-inaugural cruises anymore that no one really knows which one counts as the first, not that it really matters. I doubt that the VIPs you speak of will be offended or feel discounted, as they are most likely not members of cruise critic.:)

These 2 cruises are both firsts. The inaugural with VIPs, and the second cruise with guests that make revenue... the guests that really matter. After all the VIPs only got 2 days. ;)

All joking aside, I am jealous that I was on neither sailing.

Edited by A&L_Ont

Wasn't the departure of the 22nd marketed as the "maiden sailing"? Certainly passengers were given inaugural gifts I believe.

Wasn't the departure of the 22nd marketed as the "maiden sailing"? Certainly passengers were given inaugural gifts I believe.

Hi,

I am currently sailing the Anthem's "maiden" voyage. They provided passengers with a red carpet welcome to make us feel like film stars as we entered the checkin area. Champaign was been passed around as we actually boarded. It was a very nice touch. As to gifts, we received an Anthems backpack & cap and some other small items. The Cruise Critic M&M was good with nice finger food and champaign.

The ship is stunning and the cruise has been great. The cabin, staff, food and entertainment have been good all-around. I am not aware of any major glitches.

Happy Sailing!