Five ships in Los Angeles

I see that on October 3, 2015, there are five ships slated to be in LA - I assume the Carnival ship will actually be in Long Beach. But where do the other 4 dock at San Pedro? Is there room? it must be a zoo with all the passengers debarking and embarking. Anyone have experience with this?

I see that on October 3, 2015, there are five ships slated to be in LA - I assume the Carnival ship will actually be in Long Beach. But where do the other 4 dock at San Pedro? Is there room? it must be a zoo with all the passengers debarking and embarking. Anyone have experience with this?

San Pedro can take four ships. Three will dock at the main cruise port . There is another that is near the breakwater.

Where did get that info ?

The Carnival ship will be in the Port of LB located near the Queen Mary.

Here are the berth assignments on 10/3/15 for the 4 cruise ships berthed at the Port of LA. Berths 92 & 93 are the cruise terminals with berths 54 & 46 in another area of the port closer to the breakwater.

https://www.portsamerica.com/cruise/los-angeles-terminal.html

October 10/03/2015 Sat PRINCESS Crown Princess 951 B93

October 10/03/2015 Sat NORWEGIAN Norwegian Pearl 956 B92

October 10/03/2015 Sat PRINCESS Ruby Princess 951 B54

October 10/03/2015 Sat ROYAL CARIBBEAN INTL Jewel Of The Seas 962 B46

Berths 93 & 92 are the 2 cruise terminals

Berth 54 (Ruby Princess) is described as "Located within the Port of Los Angeles, Outer Harbor Berth 54/55 primarily handles perishable reefer and frozen cargos from Chile and New Zealand". Thus it must only be used when there are 4 cruise ships in the Port of LA.

http://www.ssamarine.com/locations/pacificSW/outer_harbor.asp

Berth 46 (Jewel OTS) is now the primary additional cruise ship berth & described as "Outer harbor cruise ship berth and site for major public events".

http://www.portoflosangeles.org/facilities/outerharbor.asp

Edited by Astro Flyer

San Pedro can take four ships. Three will dock at the main cruise port . There is another that is near the breakwater.

Where did get that info ?

That's no longer accurate because the "overflow" pier we used in 2009 with a large tent is now where the USS Iowa is berthed.

Currently there are the 2 cruise ship terminals (92 & 93) plus the more remote berths (46 & 54) in the breakwater area on Miner Street.

Edited by Astro Flyer

It won't be pretty.

I was there once when there were a lot of ships and we had a berth with a tent.

Usually, not always, but usually this can result for delayed disembarkation for one or more ships and an example when someone asked can I make a 10:30 AM flight out of LAX or for that matter any flight before Noon, I say don't do it.

Keith

I believe the Magic will dock in Long Beach three other ships will use berths 91-93 1 ship will use 46 which is just past lane Victory Glad I am not getting on that Carnival ship;)

Edited by dhill

Carnival Miracle docks in Long Beach. Three ships will use berths 91-93. 1 ship will berth at pier 46, which is past the Lane Victory.

Glad I'll be boarding the Miracle that day.

I believe the Magic will dock in Long Beach three other ships will use berths 91-93 1 ship will use 46 which is just past lane Victory Glad I am not getting on that Carnival ship;)

The Miracle is in LB on 10/3/15 and the Magic sails from Galveston on 10/4/15.

Apparently you believe that the info in post #3 is wrong but if you check the website's link you can confirm the accuracy of what I posted...San Pedro's Port of LA ships are scheduled at berths 92, 93, 54 & 46.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thank you Astro Flyer for the detailed information and links. I plan to keep tit in my permanent Princess file.

You're welcome & I've also bookmarked this thread to help me refresh my memory in the future. ;)

It is confusing that they do not show a ship at berth 91 & I can only speculate that due to the size of the ships in port it unusable. If you can view the attached aerial photo of the USS Iowa at berth 87 with a the cruise ship at berth 92 it makes berth 91 with the tent unusable for a cruise ship.

Here's a link to that aerial photo: http://www.magazineusa.com/images_st2/ca/la2/USS-IOWA_Map_Berth_87.jpg

Princess uses berth 93 parallel to the bridge although since the photo was taken the Lane Victory has been moved to berth 49.

Parking may be the biggest issue & there have threads discussing that issue which as I recall was not good. :(

image.jpg.ea96fec6254fb4b99c575b2e7e0cfbcb.jpg

Edited by Astro Flyer

This will be a very interesting day....

The San Pedro and Long Beach Cruise Ship Calendar's are not up-to-date, yet.

If the picture of Berth 54 is correct, and the Port of LA thinks they're going to get the Ruby Princess in that spot, they are probably going to have to move the Lane Victory to get Ruby in there.

I'm so glad I booked a hotel with shuttle service to get on board the Jewel.

Berth 91 is now the home of the USS Iowa.

Edited by elcydcruiser

This will be a very interesting day....

The San Pedro and Long Beach Cruise Ship Calendar's are not up-to-date, yet.

If the picture of Berth 54 is correct, and the Port of LA thinks they're going to get the Ruby Princess in that spot, they are probably going to have to move the Lane Victory to get Ruby in there.

I'm so glad I booked a hotel with shuttle service to get on board the Jewel.

Berth 91 is now the home of the USS Iowa.

Lucky you only having to get a shuttle from LB. :D

This link I got from the Port of LA's website for cruise ships shows the 10/3/15 schedule which appears to be up to date...93, 92, 54 & 46.

https://www.portsamerica.com/cruise/los-angeles-terminal.html

The USS Iowa website states it's berthed at 87 and the aerial photo appears to make 91 unusable unless there are 2 small ships at 92 & 91.

http://www.pacificbattleship.com/visitorinformation

Sorry.....Berth 87 is the home of USS Iowa.

My post wasn't intended to be critical & my apologies if that is how it appeared. :o

This thread has helped me discover many things I didn't know previously but it's only based on online info.

Have a great cruise on the Ruby & it'll be interesting to read about your experiences at berth 54 which is primarily for cargo. Until this discussion I was only aware of berth 46 being used for a 3rd ship and wasn't even aware of 54 being used for cruise ships.

Edited by Astro Flyer

My post wasn't intended to be critical & my apologies if that is how it appeared. :o

This thread has helped me discover many things I didn't know previously but it's only based on online info.

Have a great cruise on the Ruby & it'll be interesting to read about your experiences at berth 54 which is primarily for cargo. Until this discussion I was only aware of berth 46 being used for a 3rd ship and wasn't even aware of 54 being used for cruise ships.

No worries... Our postings crossed each other. I realized my fubar about the Iowa, corrected it and there was your post.

And this will be a first time in a really long time (if ever) they used this berth for a cruise ship. I'll be on Jewel, where we know our ship will be. It will interesting, too, to read the posts of the passengers on Ruby on that sailing date if they get notified where they will be embarking.

I don't know how to add a picture, but there's an aerial view of this berth area and you can see how slim it is...

Edited by elcydcruiser

No worries... Our postings crossed each other. I realized my fubar about the Iowa, corrected it and there was your post.

And this will be a first time in a really long time (if ever) they used this berth for a cruise ship. I'll be on Jewel, where we know our ship will be. It will interesting, too, to read the posts of the passengers on Ruby on that sailing date if they get notified where they will be embarking.

I don't know how to add a picture, but there's an aerial view of this berth area and you can see how slim it is...

Oops...you're on the Jewel OTS at 46. :o

I'm thankful that we have not had to board the ship at 46 or 54 because parking at both berths appear to be very limited. I've read that sometimes the cruise ship terminals' parking lot can reach capacity when too many ships have passengers trying to park there. If my memory is correct, they had passengers park at 46 & shuttled to the cruise ship terminals.

I've attached the photo from the berth 54 website showing the Lane Victory & at the top of the photo would be berth 46.

image.jpg.d35624cb8f7624f3960115b88760981e.jpg

Edited by Astro Flyer

Oops...you're on the Jewel OTS at 46. :o

I'm thankful that we have not had to board the ship at 46 or 54 because parking at both berths appear to be very limited. I've read that sometimes the cruise ship terminals' parking lot can reach capacity when too many ships have passengers trying to park there. If my memory is correct, they had passengers park at 46 & shuttled to the cruise ship terminals.

I've attached the photo from the berth 54 website showing the Lane Victory & at the top of the photo would be berth 46.

Have a question we are leaving the week before and coming back to 46. Were do we park at 92 or 46? Or will they bus to get car. Thanks

Have a question we are leaving the week before and coming back to 46. Were do we park at 92 or 46? Or will they bus to get car. Thanks

You'll park your car at pier 92 and 91.

They shuttle you to 46. They will request on return that the driver take the shuttle to pier 91 and return to pickup the rest with luggage.

Kamloops50 answered your question although I seem to recall reading a discussion about when the cruise terminal (92 & 93) lot was full they shuttle people from a lot near 46. Thankfully I've never had that experience but based on the aerial photo of 46 in post #17 there appears to be a parking structure located there but not large enough for all passengers' cars embarking at 46.

It would be helpful if you could share your 1st hand experience from your cruise.

They shuttle you to 46. They will request on return that the driver take the shuttle to pier 91 and return to pickup the rest with luggage.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Hi!

We were just emailed that the Ruby is debarking at Berth 46- a different area than we are parked in for our upcoming cruise out of Los Angeles harbour, Oct 25. Does the debarking take longer here than in Pier 93? I need to have an idea of how much more time I need to add to that for this new docking change since our airline changed our flight time to 1:00pm - 2 hours earlier than my original air fare purchase. I'm nervous.

Edited by calisilent

Hi!

We were just emailed that the Ruby is debarking at Berth 46- a different area than we are parked in for our upcoming cruise out of Los Angeles harbour, Oct 25. Does the debarking take longer here than in Pier 93? I need to have an idea of how much more time I need to add to that for this new docking change since our airline changed our flight time to 1:00pm - 2 hours earlier than my original air fare purchase. I'm nervous.

I replied on your other thread & based on the delay caused by insufficient customs & immigration agents I experienced at 91 (over 90 minutes) would not feel comfortable with a 1:00 flight.

AA moved your departure time up by 2 hours & my experience has been that when the new time does not work airlines will provide a flight that does work. Alternative flight options may be limited so I'd recommend calling AA sooner than later if you want a later flight.

Kamloops50 answered your question although I seem to recall reading a discussion about when the cruise terminal (92 & 93) lot was full they shuttle people from a lot near 46. Thankfully I've never had that experience but based on the aerial photo of 46 in post #17 there appears to be a parking structure located there but not large enough for all passengers' cars embarking at 46.

It would be helpful if you could share your 1st hand experience from your cruise.

I'll be glad to share when we get back. Should be fun getting off. Have a great week

Thanks should be fun.