Spanish Steps Close for Renovation

cruisemom42

Well, just when renovations of Trevi Fountain are winding down -- it should reopen fully in November -- it appears the Spanish Steps will be closed for renovations over the next few months:

http://www.ansa.it/english/news/2015/10/07/bulgari-funded-restoration-of-romes-spanish-steps-begins_4ae9d566-f762-4961-aa23-68d8646db3e4.html

The steps will be completely closed for about three months and then will partially reopen as work continues.

I never understood why this site draws so many tourists, but don't say you weren't warned!

I'm with you - never saw the attraction. But, I use the steps every day that I am in Rome - it's the fastest way from my company hotel on the Via Veneto down to the Centro Storico. I guess if you hit one day when the flowers are in full bloom and there are not so many people (yeah, right), it could be mildly worth a photo stop for it and the fountain. Otherwise, it's just something on a tourist "must see" check list for those who have to do the "must see" check lists ;)

I will say that I do appreciate the big Italian commercial enterprises that are taking on the renovations with their private funds. I would fear that things would crumble to nothing without their civic contributions. Bulgari for the Steps, Fendi for the Trevi Fountain...

Edited by slidergirl

I'm with you - never saw the attraction. But, I use the steps every day that I am in Rome - it's the fastest way from my company hotel on the Via Veneto down to the Centro Storico. I guess if you hit one day when the flowers are in full bloom and there are not so many people (yeah, right), it could be mildly worth a photo stop for it and the fountain. Otherwise, it's just something on a tourist "must see" check list for those who have to do the "must see" check lists ;)

I will say that I do appreciate the big Italian commercial enterprises that are taking on the renovations with their private funds. I would fear that things would crumble to nothing without their civic contributions. Bulgari for the Steps, Fendi for the Trevi Fountain...

Agree with you about the attraction. Personally, as long as our beloved Piazza Navona is open (without any construction in the area) we are happy as clams. DW and I once spent 5 hours in a Piazza Navona cafe (breakfast, lunch, and a lot of fun People Watching) and were never bored. As to the Spanish Steps, 5 minutes in that oft congested area is enough to drive us back to the Piazza Navona :).

Hank

Glad to see that they are going to renovate this area too.

Some of what made this attraction popular was from some Hollywood Movies including Roman Holiday from the 1950's.

Rome has so much to see so this one might not seem important for some but when I think of some of the places we have visited from around the world if these steps could be transported there then they would be the main attraction.

We get out very early in the morning and this is one of those sites that does not require an admission so we can get there before the mobs arrive. For us, same when we visit the Fountain.

Keith

Babington's Tea Room -- yummy!

http://www.romeing.it/babingtons_tea_room_rome/

Lovely place, though I haven't been there in quite a while (since I became an espresso drinker!)

I too prefer coffee/espresso (even better a Turkish coffee :D) but their little yummy sweets are irresistible. A very welcome break when out walking for the day in Rome !!!!!!

Agree with you about the attraction. Personally, as long as our beloved Piazza Navona is open (without any construction in the area) we are happy as clams. DW and I once spent 5 hours in a Piazza Navona cafe (breakfast, lunch, and a lot of fun People Watching) and were never bored. As to the Spanish Steps, 5 minutes in that oft congested area is enough to drive us back to the Piazza Navona :).

Hank

A bit off topic, but you just made my day! For three days pre-cruise, we've rented a small apartment with a terrace directly facing Plaza Navona.

A bit off topic, but you just made my day! For three days pre-cruise, we've rented a small apartment with a terrace directly facing Plaza Navona.

Sigh! What a perfect location and we are very jealous :)

Hank