Holland America Eurodam

#1cruisecoach

Hi All,

We have always cruised on Celebrity in Europe, but Holland America has an itinerary that we like, so we are considering it. I was rather shocked to read that HA still allows smoking on the balcony's. I could care less if anyone smokes, but... have any of you found it to be an issue with the smell while enjoying your own balcony? Would also love and appreciate any tips on best cabin locations on the Eurodam. We have never cruised on HA before. Thanks !

Smoking issues while on our veranda: no.

This comment applies just to the Eurodam because this is my experience: We had a port side veranda cabin on Deck 5 near the forward elevators during 2 cruises: Baltic and Viking Passage Cruises. Our veranda was "flooded" more days than not. Rain water did not drain properly. The cabin steward had to suction water from the veranda one afternoon. He said that the cause was a design issue. I am of the opinion, based upon what I saw when we arrived in New York, that he was correct. I would never book another cabin in that area again for a cruise where there could be alot of rain.

We sailed Eurodam five cruises and love that ship.

One of the five cruises, we had smokers on either side of us and it seems they were out smoking on their verandah whenever we happened to wish to enjoy sitting/reading/having breakfast on out there. It was impossible for us to enjoy and we lost use of the verandah for that whole cruise. :( It was hard to take it stunk so

badly.

Almost all other cruises on HAL ships, it is rare when it bothers us but there have been a few times. That one particular Eurodam cruise was the worst.

Edited by sail7seas

We sail primarily on HAL and always a balcony cabin. We have never found balcony smoking to interfere with our enjoyment of our cruise. There have been times that we have briefly smelled cigarette smoke, but it was usually when you are cruising into or leaving port and people are standing at the handrails.

We tend to spend a lot of time on our balconies. We have breakfast there nearly every morning, read and relax throughout the day and usually have several evening meals also. The smell of cigarette smoke has never bothered us during these times.

Feel free to visit the HAL board for more information. I should caution you though - discussions on HAL's smoking policy is limited to one thread on the HAL board. This thread has a significant large number of posts by people whose goal is to have HAL ban balcony smoking. Just this morning I noted that one of the top 10 posters who want HAL to ban balcony smoking has not sailed on HAL in 50 years.

Edited by cbr663